Zit tah dee doo dah

Status
Not open for further replies.

beebz

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2014
New Vienna Ohio
Zits aka "quit zits".

So, I thought, or I was told, that my perfect skin was breaking out when I quit smoking and this
conundrum was known as quit zits. Well, I've been a quitter for nearly 8 months now and the zits
won't quit. I have been a very happy Dekang girl from go. I accidentally ordered the wrong menthol
a few months ago. I simply mis-clicked. A whole 150ml of mis-clicking. The order was squared away,
I got my Dekang menthol, and I thought I'd grin and bear my other menthol that I thought tasted like
medication. Like most things, it grew on me. I vaped the whole 150ml, and my skin was crystal clean n' clear !
So, my query is. What exactly gave me the zits?
Clearly it was the Dekang.
I don't quite know the mixture. I could look it up and edit this soon, but, usually I just order without
being picky and what not; 50-50 or mostly VG.

I guess the query is; which ingredient is more likely to give you zits - the VG or the PG?
~Barbara~

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Well, pre-mixed Dekang only comes in two basic versions: a 100 PG or 100 VG base. Most places only sell the PG version. So the chances are you have been using 100 PG liquid.

Yes, quit zits are a very real thing because smoking screws with your endocrine system, suppressing it. Taking the lid off that suppression is harmless for the majority but for some people it can result in a "mini puberty" acne flare up to more serious problems.

But quit zits go away. When they don't - like after six months running - then you need to start looking at other issues.

I know two vapers who had facial acne breakouts in their quit smoking/start vaping journey. Problem was they still had the acne problem a year later. It took them that long to connect the dots between their acne and using high PG liquids. When they switched to 100 VG liquids - or as close as they could get to 100 VG - the facial acne settled down and cleared up within a week. So you need to look into this issue further, both for what PG or VG version of Dekang you have been buying and what was the PG/VG ratio of the "mistake menthol" where the acne problem went away.

Also note that for people who have the stop smoking quit zits problem the acne isn't just limited to the facial region. The quit smoking related breakouts can also occur on the back, neck and scalp areas as well. However, for people who have an ongoing allergic/adverse reaction to PG the acne is typically only located in the "vaper's triangle" area of exposure: above the bridge of the nose, down across the cheeks, and ending in the chin region.

beebz

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2014
New Vienna Ohio
Rickajho -
More puzzled than ever lol
I studied my buying history.
This link is my Dekang
Dekang Menthol eliquid
This link is my HG (Heavenly Gifts brand?)
http://www.stevenswholesale.com/150ml-HG-Menthol-PG-11MG-eliquid-p/hg-150ml-11mg-menthol.htm

However, in my account, the later states -
Items Ordered: Price: Status:
1 of : 150 ml 11mg Menthol VG/PG Based Smoke juice + free 5ml Injector

It clearly states it is a VG/PG mix.
I have the bottle, and usually, in the US, the list is by order of most to least.
So, the bottle states -
Vanillin
Glycerol
Ethyl vanillin
Cocoa extract
Furfuryl alcohol
Damascenone
Propylene glycol
The HG(brand) was medicinny (my own word) but it grew on me as a nice semi-strong menthol.
The Dekang must go. It is obvious.
The whole bottle/weeks of HG left me with a crystal clear face.
By the 25th hour of going back on Dekang, I am a mess.
I'm getting on my own nerves here now.
I am still in search of the perfect menthol.
~Barbara~

beebz

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2014
New Vienna Ohio
Food grade - natural and Kosher - for the jewish in me -
General description

Natural Occurrence: Burley tobacco, bread, cocoa, coffee, juniper berry oil, potato chips, roasted barley, whiskey1
Packaging

1 kg in poly bottle
10, 25 kg in poly drum
Application

Although this chemical doesn′t usually play a starring role in flavors, it will help to contribute brown, subtly smoky notes to Indonesian-type vanilla flavors, bacon and other smoked meats, lapsang souchong tea, whiskey, grain, coffee and barbecue flavors.1
Biochem/physiol Actions

Taste at 20-40ppm1

I'm guessing its a millionth of a part per million. Just kidding. But, out of the 40 bottles of juice I have it's the only one
that states ALL its ingredients.
I think if I swim in a chlorine pool, brush my teeth or drink well or city water I'm getting furfural and more.
I think it has something to do with the vanillin. I'm not too worried considering I smoked the real thing
for 35 years at 2 ppd. :facepalm:
Furfuryl alcohol? It certainly doesn't sound like something that should be in vapor. http://www.pennakem.com/msds/98-00-0_Furfuryl%20alcohol_PAK_msds.pdf

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
You said the 150 ml bottle size? Right? It says right here:

150ML Travel Size Bottles In Popular Dekang Vapor Flavors.

Large 150ML VG/PG Blend (70/30)

So yeah, that's pretty much the exact opposite of a 100 PG Dekang liquid.

I noticed that place does carry 100 VG Dekang liquids - but only at 18 mg. :(

Ok, you needs menthol. Good menthol. In the 11 mg range. And high VG. What about price?

See my post here about placing a first time order at The Vapor Room: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../584061-recommend-vendor-me.html#post13698186

That would get you in the door cheap to try a boat load of menthols. The flavors are going to be a lot better than the place you were shopping at. My favorite there is Port Menthol (think NewPort) as it has a strong menthol with some tobacco flavor in the background. They make 12 mg and the sample bottles are up to a 70VG/30PG mix. Full size bottles can be made at 100 VG if you want.

VLadies

Jul 8, 2014
Atlanta, GA, USA
I'm glad you posted this. I've noticed I am breaking out more than usual. Gonna cut down on PG and see if it helps. I was a menthol smoker (camel menthol) and I've been trying different brands. I like vape magic Magic Stick menthol ejuice. It is pretty strong but it's what I prefer. I always crushed my camels to get extra menthol anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I'm glad you posted this. I've noticed I am breaking out more than usual. Gonna cut down on PG and see if it helps. I was a menthol smoker (camel menthol) and I've been trying different brands. I like vape magic Magic Stick menthol ejuice. It is pretty strong but it's what I prefer. I always crushed my camels to get extra menthol anyway.

If either of you decide to try The Vapor Room I suggest you hold off on any temptation to get extra flavor shots on a first order - their flavor levels are pretty strong to begin with. Whatever they use it's a real menthol flavor. Not mint masquerading as menthol, "cough syrup" menthol etc. They have a lot of menthols to try - at least 9, I think?

VLadies

Jul 8, 2014
Atlanta, GA, USA
If either of you decide to try The Vapor Room I suggest you hold off on any temptation to get extra flavor shots on a first order - their flavor levels are pretty strong to begin with. Whatever they use it's a real menthol flavor. Not mint masquerading as menthol, "cough syrup" menthol etc. They have a lot of menthols to try - at least 9, I think?

Oh wow, thanks for letting me know and I will try it without the xtra shot first. I learned my lesson the hard way with that. I ordered a caramel cappuccino and said sure why not have an extra shot of flavor. Well they put in an extra shot of straight up coffee. Not what I was thinking. You wanna talk about the strongest coffee you ever tried. I prefer mine sweeter. It made my whole box smell and I never got it out of the coils. Haha. I learned from that incident though.

beebz

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2014
New Vienna Ohio
lol - If you prefer yours sweeter, get a sweetener and add a drop to your juice that is too strong, or anything for that matter, that you would like to add sweetness to.
I just received an order of menthol(s) today. I'm trying Mt Baker Vapor. I probably studied 50 or so menthols over the past week or so and settled on two different types from the same place. Also saw a bottle of sweetener there so I grabbed a bottle to add to some of my vapes that I'd like to sweeten up.

I don't know that it's the nicotine that caused a harsh throat hit for me as I've always used low nic; generally 6 or 12. Just recently, after vaping for 7 months, I got an 18 to try. I need my nic hits to charge myself up in the morning.
So, I've yet to try my new menthols. I'm still vaping left-overs lol

I've never tried an extra shot of anything yet and probably won't. I use to do extra shots of vodka but those days are long gone . .
Be well ~Barbara~

Oh wow, thanks for letting me know and I will try it without the xtra shot first. I learned my lesson the hard way with that. I ordered a caramel cappuccino and said sure why not have an extra shot of flavor. Well they put in an extra shot of straight up coffee. Not what I was thinking. You wanna talk about the strongest coffee you ever tried. I prefer mine sweeter. It made my whole box smell and I never got it out of the coils. Haha. I learned from that incident though.

beebz

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2014
New Vienna Ohio
wow - I just re-read this and am a few days too late as I've already did the Mt Baker thing and received my order this afternoon. Sorry, you were so informative too ! I feel like I dissed you lol

We'll see, I haven't even tried my new menthol yet - I DO/DID however like the cost - I'm a cheap person lol
I like to drive a Cadillac and pay Volkswagen prices ! !
Be Well ~Barbara~

You said the 150 ml bottle size? Right? It says right here:

150ML Travel Size Bottles In Popular Dekang Vapor Flavors.

So yeah, that's pretty much the exact opposite of a 100 PG Dekang liquid.

I noticed that place does carry 100 VG Dekang liquids - but only at 18 mg. :(

Ok, you needs menthol. Good menthol. In the 11 mg range. And high VG. What about price?

See my post here about placing a first time order at The Vapor Room: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../584061-recommend-vendor-me.html#post13698186

That would get you in the door cheap to try a boat load of menthols. The flavors are going to be a lot better than the place you were shopping at. My favorite there is Port Menthol (think NewPort) as it has a strong menthol with some tobacco flavor in the background. They make 12 mg and the sample bottles are up to a 70VG/30PG mix. Full size bottles can be made at 100 VG if you want.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
wow - I just re-read this and am a few days too late as I've already did the Mt Baker thing and received my order this afternoon. Sorry, you were so informative too ! I feel like I dissed you lol

We'll see, I haven't even tried my new menthol yet - I DO/DID however like the cost - I'm a cheap person lol
Be Well ~Barbara~

Hey, whatever works beebz! The TVR option doesn't go away - that's always how to work the best deal on a first time order. You can do it at any time. I don't do full price there either. I wait until flavors I want show up in the Flavors of the Week rotation at $10.00 for a 30 ml bottle.

But no matter where you get it and at what price, if you just don't like it nothing is a bargain. You just gotta try places to find what you like.

VLadies

Jul 8, 2014
Atlanta, GA, USA

Be Well ~Barbara~

Let me know how the menthol is. I'm testing them to see which I like the best too. Would love to hear your input!

beebz

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2014
New Vienna Ohio
Oh no, VLadies - asking me this is like asking me to do a math word problem while scratching your nails across the chalkboard or walking on hot coals. ha ! . . . . Me and my menthol, a novel, less not that I just found out I have "Jewish" in me which explains so dang much in my life ! I just might trip over a dollar to save a dime.

At any rate, I still haven't tried the new stuff yet.
I started menthol with my very first disposable ecig and love love love menthol even though I smoked Marlboro Ultra Light, 2 packs a day for much too long of a time, NON Menthol ! (weird) yet I must vape menthol. Now its MVP itaste with a Kanger Protank2 1.8 (my fav)and still menthol.

I wrote 2 letters to 2 companies about my displeasure about their menthol. One letter was because they asked me for a review and I really didn't want to put anything negative on their board. Rather, I emailed them and noted that the tobacco, in my opinion, should not overpower the menthol. So I stored those bottles.

The other letter (email) was because the advertising was misleading. I thought I was getting Dekang but I was getting 150ml of Dekang like flavor. duh - I vaped it and gagged. Vicks vapo-rub in me mouth ! ugh - no - medicine - help! So, the fellow sent me my usual Dekang menthol. The reason I grabbed the 150ml is because of price - fabulous deal. However, my vendor didn't make me return the 150ml so I thought, hmmm, add vanilla and see what happens. I never added vanilla cuz I'm down right lazy lately, but I was in a pickle and vaped the whole 150ml and fell in love with it? shoot !

Just like another menthol that gagged me, I stored it, months later in a pickle, I vaped it and fell in love with it. What the?

So, I think most anything can be Dr'd up or down or sweeter or weaker etc. One thing I do know, I have some spearmint and hated it then and hate it still, yet I still have it? ! I suppose I can do something with it in a few months from now - who the heck knows.
My whole experience is trial and error, and then things change, you change, seasons change, what you liked then you don't like now and visa versa.
I do have a money problem, I don't want to spend any haha - yet I have. In my first month of vaping I ended up with 20 tanks and 7 batteries. I've since settled into one favorite tank and maybe 4 batteries and one box mod.
You asked me a loaded question haha
There is no simple answer.
But I will let you know how the new Mt Baker Vapor menthol is - according to their reviews everyone loves their stuff.
Sorry you asked hahaha - just kidding

Let me know how the menthol is. I'm testing them to see which I like the best too. Would love to hear your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread