Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Last edited:

glauserjg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
buffalo,ny
so glaus, whats going on with the new SS Zmax? Is it calibrated correctly or not? And from what I have heard, smoktech made the 1st run Zmaxes run hotter ( a little off ) because the company was getting a huge amount of contact letters saying the 1st Vmax was calibrated to be less powerful than the american VV mods on the market at that time. So smoktech decided to hot rod the Zmax and make it more powerful at each LCD point as compared to the US made mods. I don't know how much substance there is to this hypothesis but I can see smoktech trying to make up for the bad press by putting out a mod that is actually "more powerful" (when compared V to V to a US VV mod) than the US vv mods. Silly, but I guess I could understand where they were coming from in doing so.

As far as the new SS Zmax's... IDK if you are right, or if you are wrong, buzz, but from what I hear, it is calibrated correctly now and most ohm readers do not have the capacity to properly read RMS. It sounds like you have a meter designed specifically for RMS. So, IDK. I can't say I know because I dont. But, what I can say is that the Provari is more like a specialty made fishing lure. And, the Zmax is more like a specialty made fishing lure sold at ....'s Sporting Goods and Cabella's. You cant buy a Provari at your favorite online vaping superstore. They have NO resellers. They are the sole dealer's of their product. Thats a craftsman product. A specialty product made and sold by the developer and maker. The Zmax was made to be sold in a reseller setting. Its not on the same level as the Provari and its not supposed to be on the same level, I dont think. The provari is the best Varable Voltage device I know of.. Sure. But the price reflects that specialty stamp and its out of a lot of people's price ranges and thats just capitalism, yknow? Just like a hand-painted birdhouse, sold by the man that made it and painted it, out of his garage work-shop, is probably going to be $200-400... Where-as the same birdhouse made in a factory is going to be sold at Walmart for $10-15. lol. And SOMETIMES the walmart birdhouse will be of the same quality as the hand made birdhouse, sometimes, it wont be. Very rarely will walmart stock a hand painted birdhouse, but its possible. lol (walmart comes in and pays businesses that are under-performing for their year's budget, bulk prices, for their products.. Just enough money to keep them out of the hole, but not always enough to give them a profit. In that way, walmart "helps" the company, and is able to give us the products for a reduced price.. BUT, a lot of people say that store like Walmart are usually the reason the small shop is under-selling for their budget for the year, lol) ANYWAYS.. I'm off track...

I've read people say that the Provari shouldn't be compared to the lavatube or the zmax, and its true. They are different types of products. The provari is an extremely expensive, well made product. The LT and the Zmax are cheaper and mass produced products. The Zmax has more features, the Provari is basically hand made, with attention to detail. The Zmax can adapt to the ohm of your cartomizer or atomizer, the Provari cannot. Its up to the buyer to weigh his options. But they aren't the same TYPE of product.

I'm interested to know if anyone else can go against what Buzz's reader is actually saying?
As far as his equipment goes I do not know if it can read accurately or not. I only responded to the fact that he stated his results concluded that the zmax is under powering the atties on it; based off what i researched and saw from people whom I know they know what they are doing I concluded that his tests were not accurate.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I think we can also consider production run lets say Zmax 8th menu production run 1 first 10,000 had a diode x in it and next 5000 they ran out of diode x and substituted with diode y it has the same specks but different manufacturer so it throws things off.
This is a hypothetical but this kind of thing happens all the time I imagine in a land of knockoffs and substandard quality its impossible to maintain standards even of you were so inclined to.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I think we can also consider production run lets say Zmax 8th menu production run 1 first 10,000 had a diode x in it and next 5000 they ran out of diode x and substituted with diode y it has the same specks but different manufacturer so it throws things off.
This is a hypothetical but this kind of thing happens all the time I imagine in a land of knockoffs and substandard quality its impossible to maintain standards even of you were so inclined to.

You seem to want to discredit the Zmax badly. Do you have some personal interest? I know everyone else is wrong. lol

TrueNorthist

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cariboo Country, BC
Well, I really appreciate Buzz's review. I will wait for the device to be out of beta testing before spending any money on it. If there is one thing about e-cigs that bugs me the most it is the cheap and crappy nature of almost everyting coming out of China. And the fact that they use customers as beta testers! Unforgivable. My Reo and my Provari -- both made in the USA -- have worked flawlessly from day one and they continue to do so. No idiot problems of any kind. Everything made in China either has some sort of permanent and critical bug or failed after a few hours or weeks. I have a drawer full of dead PVs and attachements, representing hundreds of dollars wasted. I keep them to remind me. I am sticking with what I can be sure is a well designed and quality product. And don't even get me started on crappy cartomizers... I am thinking of making my own.

MikeA5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Methuen, MA
Dieseler,
Thanks alot. The data you presented was very helpfull.
I'm glad to see that you are using an instrument that measured "True RMS".
Many people don't realize that most RMS instruments will not read the correct RMS values for square waves or square waves that may have some overshoot at the leading edge, because most of these instruments assume a sinewave. With a "True RMS" instrument measuring PWM devices the correct value will be more accurate than would otherwise be measured with a non-true RMS instrument, at least that has been my experience when I make measurents of electrical signals.
Cudos on your measurements. Thank you!
MadVapes now has a sale (10% off no discount code needed)on the Zmax V2 with lower prices as well!
I just ordered the gunmetal one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread