ZNA 30 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh w

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
michigan
So I graduated to a ZNA setup with an aspire atlantis tank and running a .5 ohm coil at 27 watts. this is what the local vape shop set me up at. the tank is set on the smallest air hole. the problem I am having is if I draw on it for more then two seconds it feels like its burning my throat and makes me gag really bad. Can someone tell me if I am doing something wrong? Ive never seen anyone using a mod gagging even after a five second draw. What am I doing wrong?

ManicMaurice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2010
My House
www.manicmaurice.com
I've never used the Aspire Atlantis and I very rarely use anything sub-ohm, but 27 watts is way too much for a 0.5 ohm single coil.

Lower resistance requires less power (watts).

Drop it down to somewhere between 6 to 12 watts and let me know how it works for you. I'll walk you through the trials and errors.

Last edited:

ManicMaurice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2010
My House
www.manicmaurice.com
Just out of curiosity I went and looked up the specs for the Aspire CF Sub battery they released for use with the Atlantis.

At peak it puts out roughly 4.2 volts with a cutoff of 3.5 volts. On a 0.5 ohm coil this would give roughly 35 to 24 watts, so your 27 watts is right in the middle.

At this point your guess is as good as mine, but still try dropping down to 6 to 12 watts and let me know how it goes.

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
what PG/VG ratio juice are you using. I run my atlantis at 30-35 watts frequently and only get borderline dry hits on long pulls if I'm using heavy VG >70%.

If you are using less than 70% vg you shouldn't have an issue so I would check your atty on an ohm meter. you may have a funky head and the ohms are off.

It happens!

ManicMaurice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2010
My House
www.manicmaurice.com
That's the next thing I would try, swap to a new head/coil. Might be a wicking issue with your current head/coil.

At 0.5 ohms you want to keep the coil nice and wet to avoid dry hits.

And reeftivo is right. If you're running at 27 watts and going for lung hits make sure that your air flow control ring is wide open.

Last edited:

ManicMaurice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2010
My House
www.manicmaurice.com
Why did you want switch to a new setup? What weren't you happy with while using the ETS and the Ego Twist?

I'm asking because I'm trying to gauge if the Atlantis was a good switch for you.

The ZNA is solid and should last you a very long time, so no worries there. :)

Last edited:

ManicMaurice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2010
My House
www.manicmaurice.com
the lower the resistance, the higher you want your power. I run 0.5 ohm builds on RBAs at 35-50W. I run 1.8ohm builds at 12W.

It's more complicated than that. The only time you need more power on lower resistance is if the coil is wound using high gauge wire (28, 26, or 24). This is because the coils takes longer to heat up due to the mass of the wire, so more power is needed initially to get it up to temp in a reasonable time frame. However after that initial burst of power you are still better off running at a reasonable wattage. That's why most of the new devices have pre-heat where they ramp up the power for the first second or so and then drop down to a lower wattage.

I've been vaping since 2009. I'm only 36 yrs old, but in the vape world I constantly feel like an OG. I still wind my rebuildables using 30g kanthal 2mm 1.5 ohms and run them at 8 to 12 watts. I find that it gives me longer battery life and a darn near instant coil heat up. Now all you darn cloud chasers get off my lawn. :D

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
That seems to have done the trick. Put in a new coil, opened air to max and I can lung hit now on a 3-5 second draw, no gagging. Thanks guys! my collection is growing. LOL.

Glad you got it sorted out. :)

I see you're in Mighigan. May I ask where you got your gear? I know VaporCraft in Clawson MI sells ZNA mods, so I'm guessing you may have bought it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread