• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Zombie Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good Muddy! I've been seeing a lot of ARs for sale lately. I really need to get some stuff sold! :facepalm:

I see those type of chargers pop up in the deals and steals thread quite often with discount codes for really cheap. A USB device would make it easier and lighter for charging, that's for sure. Are you using the Darwin now?

YEs sir...its all I use
002.jpg

MuddyWaterMan

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
Texas
I was thinking about another tool when I was charging my batteries last night. I love my GLV, and really like my Infinity, but the batteries are different. I would definitely keep the GLV for its durability, but the different batteries and availability of batteries got me to thinking that a GG might actually be the best survivalist device due to their ability to use any battery type. I'm not a huge fan of them, but I just got thinking about this last night. Any opinions on how to keep vaping during the apocalypse?

Honestly I am going back to dip and chew in that case. No smell, vapor, smoke or anything else to give away position and just less hassles....

King_Calculon

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Sweet!

Anybody use Hoppe's Boresnake? YouTube - Hoppe's Boresnake Review I think that would be great to go in a pack vs a rod that can snap or bend.

Yep... I got one for my HK compact USP .45. I really like it. It cleans very well and is far gentler than a rod (yes, I coddle my HK). It weighs about nothing and would be ideal for throwing in a bug out bag. I consider it a very good product and I look forward to getting more of them for my other firearms.

Sweet!

Anybody use Hoppe's Boresnake? YouTube - Hoppe's Boresnake Review I think that would be great to go in a pack vs a rod that can snap or bend.

For my BOB, I bought one of those multi-caliber cleaning kits and went to the hardware store and bought a 12" piece of 2" (if I remember right) PVC pipe. I glued a cap on one end and a cleanout on the other and just put all the parts in it. Keeps the rods from getting bent and all the pieces fit into it. Cabela's: Gunmaster Super Deluxe Cleaning Kit

Cleans .17 to 50 cal, and 410 to 10 gauge shotguns. I have to look at the kit, but I am pretty sure it was a 2" PVC for the kit and 1 1/4" PVC for the cleaner, oil and patches. I havent done it yet, but I plan on wrapping each of the kits with paracord.

ok...I HATE AR rifles...not the platform, but the .223 round. I never could understand why such a popular rifle would use such a wimpy round. (no offense to you guys that use and love them)

I was at the gun store the other day, and almost gave in to temptation. A guy bought a new Sig Sauer AR15 and I was there when it got delivered. And I have to say that, true to Sig's reputation, this thing was beautiful.

The store sells Olympic Arms and DPMS AR's for $699, brand new. I have picked them up and held them, but they just didn't feel right. Now the Sig Sauer, that puppy was made for me. Unfortunately, I still have a hard time getting past the crap round it shoots. (again, no offense)

Anyways, and this may not be news for everyone but it was news to me, for the first time ever, I thought I might have found an AR platform rifle that I would actually buy. I went home and did a search for Sig AR's, and sitting there waiting for me..... SIG556R chambered in 7.62x39mm. When did this happen? I know its new for Sig, but how long have they been doing the 7.62x39mm on the AR platform with other companies?

I am going to have to totally rethink my position on the AR now:confused:

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
I've been doing quite a bit of AR research lately. Mainly because of that 5.56 round. The AR-10, 7.62 platform would be nicer, but they are harder to find. I picked up (held) that Sig a couple weeks ago at a gun shop when I was looking for its pistol version (P556 Pistol), but I didn't realize that the rifle was chambered in 7.62 instead of the 5.56 that the pistol is chambered in. I really thought the Sig 556 meant 5.56 for both models . . . if the rifle was called the 762, it would make more sense. :facepalm:

From the talk and reviews I've read on them vs the AR, people were complaining about the weight and incompatibility with AR parts, so I am still shopping because I am almost thinking it could be nice to have two uppers to run on the same lower - one chambered in 5.56, and one in 7.62 for the ability to scavenge more types of rounds if need be. I'm still pretty new to tactical style rifles though, so I'll be doing plenty of shopping for a while.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
7.62x39 AR's have been around for a few decades on the open market but were originally made to take advantage of 'local supplies' and to confuse location teams since the two rounds have distinct reports. I think those special models go back to the early-mid 70's as well.

As far as the rounds themselves go, both were designed to cause casualties, not always fatalities. One wounded soldier takes at least 3 people out of the fight (have to drag him from the line and treat) where one dead soldier only takes that one soldier out of the fight. Both were designed to be 'intermediate cartridges', not too big (kills), not too small (light armor defeating). You might not like the .223 but I think I'd rather have an AK over a AR in either caliber unless I had to make rapid precision shots over 200 yds. My personal favorite was the AK74 in 5.45x39 but the ammo was just too hard to get in at the time so I didn't shoot more than 2000 rds of it before I had to get rid of it.

Well you know I am still an SKS fanatic, even more so than the AK's, but only because I have owned so many of them. I was just surprised to see the AR platform with the 7.62 round...I had no idea they were making them for that long. I guess I have a lot of research to do.

At least seeing the Sig AR got me to looking. Otherwise I would have never known that the AR could be chambered in a 7.62.

Freaky, you are correct. The Sig 556 should be a Sig 762 instead of just having the R which means Russian, or Sig's way of saying 7.62. Very confusing.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
I've been doing quite a bit of AR research lately. Mainly because of that 5.56 round. The AR-10, 7.62 platform would be nicer, but they are harder to find. I picked up (held) that Sig a couple weeks ago at a gun shop when I was looking for its pistol version (P556 Pistol), but I didn't realize that the rifle was chambered in 7.62 instead of the 5.56 that the pistol is chambered in. I really thought the Sig 556 meant 5.56 for both models . . . if the rifle was called the 762, it would make more sense. :facepalm:

From the talk and reviews I've read on them vs the AR, people were complaining about the weight and incompatibility with AR parts, so I am still shopping because I am almost thinking it could be nice to have two uppers to run on the same lower - one chambered in 5.56, and one in 7.62 for the ability to scavenge more types of rounds if need be. I'm still pretty new to tactical style rifles though, so I'll be doing plenty of shopping for a while.

I hope I'm not clouding the waters but... The AR10 platform is designed for the 7.62 NATO or .308 and shouldn't be confused with the 7.62x39 which is a completely different round. If you want an AR10, just go to Sports Authority (I know, right?), they have them but they normally run around 1,100 bucks. If you wanted a 5.56 and 7.62x39 compatible lower, you'd want the AR15 lower. I'd say go with the DPMS over the Oly even though I had an Oly/Colt rifle (Oly preban stripped lower with Colt upper and guts).

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Ahhh . . . see, I told you I'm still new and doing research. I know there are AR15 7.62 uppers, but I had thought that they were the same as the AR10. Thanks for pointing that out. I spent about an hour and a half watching AK to AR comparison videos for accuracy, power, options, etc. I'm really fond of the AK, but I like them both . . . lots of research to do . . . then SKS too.

There are two sides that I am looking for . . . the "me" side, and the what parts would be easiest to find during z-day if I had issues with my firearm. The latter is what is driving my interest in the AR.

There are two sides that I am looking for . . . the "me" side, and the what parts would be easiest to find during z-day if I had issues with my firearm. The latter is what is driving my interest in the AR.

Good point, but to be honest, I doubt you will ever need SKS or AK parts. They are built tough

Hey whynot, or anyone... Like I said before, I have always steered away from AR's because I always thought they were .223. I have fired a couple that were owned by friends and stuff, but never owned one.

While looking on the gun sites for guns for sale, There is always AR uppers and AR lowers.

Can you explain what each is? Are different manufacturers uppers compatable with other lowers?

I wish I never seen that damn Sig AR15 now...

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
The easy answer to what are uppers and lowers is: Upper is the actual receiver and barrel and should include the bolt, carrier and charging handle.
Lower: The trigger group section of the receiver and the stock with recoil buffer tube. The 'lower' is what is considered to be the weapon by ATF/FFL standards and what is registered with them. Why? Good question! Because the trigger group is what is capable of being modified from civilian specifications to military specifications to house the select fire (Class II/III machine gun parts) trigger group. This is the part that everyone scrambled for before the machine gun 'ban', and the assault rifle 'ban'.

As far as different uppers and lowers being compatible, with very few exceptions, they are. If it says AR-15, it will mix and match with other AR-15's. If it says AR-10 or Stoner, it will mix and match with other AR-10's but not AR-15's. The AR-10 is all around larger and beefier to take the .308/7.62 NATO round. I haven't torn into a Sig so I don't know what differences there may be internally. It may end up like other guns like the Daewoo which look and operate the samecan't share parts with an AR-15 even if everything is of a similar design, they just don't fit.

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
Yeah, I've been reading that. "Bury it in the mud for when you need it. It will work." :thumb:
You might need this book: This is a hardcore book for hardcore individualists who don't trust banks, or anybody else for that matter. It tells you in step-by-step detail how to bury any valuables or contraband you might wish to store and conceal, and how to defeat searchers who might try to find your caches
Amazon.com: How To Bury Your Goods: The Complete Manual of Long Term Underground Storage (9781581605808): Eddie The Wire: Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread