American Lung Association against e-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
Your notes on pharmaceutical grade propylene glycol and their safety history fails to mention one very important fact. NONE of the products you mention are to be inhaled directly into the lungs. This is a very different way to deliver any chemicals. There are several products that can cause a great deal of harm by intentionally inhaling them into the lungs (huffing).

Actually, the FDA determined PG to be safer to inhale then to apply to your skin. There are many inhaled pharmaceutical products that do contain PG. I believe that PG metabolizes to lactic acid in your body, not sure though so don't quote me.

Now, keep in mind that PG is used across the tobacco industry to maintain moisture levels in tobacco leaves. So the problem becomes that the alternative is the same thing.

For all of their reliance on the FDA, their position on PG certainly is a convenient fact to ignore.

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
I think it's funny well sad and funny what we accept as acceptable standards.

Effects of Acid Rain | Acid Rain | US EPA

20 Most Toxic Fruit and Vegetables | Charlotte Chiropractor | Steele Creek Area | Chiropractic & Clinical Nutrition | Hunt For Wellness

'Dirty dozen' produce carries more pesticide residue, group says - CNN.com

12 Fruits & Veggies With The Most Pesticides (2013 Dirty Dozen)

Pesticides in Baby Food & Drinking water :(

Methodology | EWG's 2013 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce™

Ok so Pesticides in Baby food is ok,
But we got to stop vaping because it has PG in it! :confused:

And they actually make a Shoppers Guide on this wow :(

Organophosphate pesticides account for 38 percent of all pesticides in use throughout the world. They kill insects by disrupting their brains and nervous systems — but they can also harm the brains and nervous systems of animals and humans (which is why it is used in nerve gas and other weapons), says the Illinois Department of Public Health.

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Every year I get a water-quality report from my water utility, with a chart listing all "EPA acceptable" chemicals and their tested levels in our local water supply (compared to EPA acceptable levels). Sorry I didn't keep the last one. When the next one comes, I'll be sure to post it here.

ETA: Which of course has nothing to do with lungs, so :offtopic:. Maybe when I have some time I'll check out EPA's "acceptable levels" of atmospheric contaminants...

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
No.

The FDA is corrupt. Their recommendations are driven by bribes and lobbying, especially Big Pharma.

Sorry, but if the government says something, I don't put a whole lot of faith on it being accurate or reliable.

"No" what?

No to "the manufacturers to design and SEEK OUT APPROVAL from the FDA or ALA"
Or No to "You can't just generalise about "ecigarettes" when it comes to safety"

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
2: Instead of the ALA or the FDA approving or denouncing a generality, the onus is really on the manufacturers to design and SEEK OUT APPROVAL from the FDA or ALA.

Wouldn't YOU if given the choice opt for the brand that was stamped "FDA APPROVED"?

Obviously, you don't understand the history of vaping. It appears you are suggesting that those who manufacture eliquid and vaping equipment should go through the process for FDA approval. This is exactly what the FDA wanted when they banned vaping nationwide in 2009. That would take anywhere from 10 - 20 years, cost multiple millions and still run a high risk of being banned.

We would all still be smoking if that path were followed. That's a "fools errand".

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Obviously, you don't understand the history of vaping. It appears you are suggesting that those who manufacture eliquid and vaping equipment should go through the process for FDA approval. This is exactly what the FDA wanted when they banned vaping nationwide in 2009. That would take anywhere from 10 - 20 years, cost multiple millions and still run a high risk of being banned.

We would all still be smoking if that path were followed. That's a "fools errand".

The FDA has demonstrated its hostility to vaping. There is no doubt its past actions have been hostile. One can safely assume they will continue to be hostile to it, barring some new words and actions from the pecksniffian guardians of health.

Tapped out

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013

You seem to be saying that SEEKING APPROVAL from the FDA means not selling product until approval.

What I'm saying is SEEK APPROVAL. If the FDA objects to use of certain materials, then redesign without those materials and SEEK APPROVAL again.

If I were a manufacturer, I'd want to get a stamp of APPROVAL on MY product to distinguish it from competition; What about USP Grade? If I could USP Grade Approval for my pyrex clearo I'd put a USP stamp on it.

The problem is right now the vaping industry is still content to align itself with junkies and "drugs" when it should be aiming for STANDARDS and QUALITY.

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
You seem to be saying that SEEKING APPROVAL from the FDA means not selling product until approval.

What I'm saying is SEEK APPROVAL. If the FDA objects to use of certain materials, then redesign without those materials and SEEK APPROVAL again.

If I were a manufacturer, I'd want to get a stamp of APPROVAL on MY product to distinguish it from competition; What about USP Grade? If I could USP Grade Approval for my pyrex clearo I'd put a USP stamp on it.

The problem is right now the vaping industry is still content to align itself with junkies and "drugs" when it should be aiming for STANDARDS and QUALITY.

Why would the industry seek approval from the body that tried to unilaterally shut it down in 2009?

When has the FDA ever demonstrated any sense of reason or logic with its treatment of vapors or vaping?

In fact, it is up to the FDA to outline the approval process before we blame manufacturers. To my knowledge, the FDA has not done so. Lets not blame our vendors for not applying yet.

Tapped out

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx

That's exactly what the cigarette companies are trying to do. They want a system where their e-cigs are approved and everyone elses e-cigs are outlawed. They don't mind spending millions in order to chase off all the small mom-pop vapes stores, because it lets them corner the market.

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
@Masterchief68:

Somehow, it always makes me mad when FDA starts talking BS about 'their' safe (Chantix) and effective (In about 5 per cent of users) quitting methods...

With 'approved' methods doing that poorly, I would just assume it remains 'unapproved'

Tapped out

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Strange isn't it, how the FDA will raise the toxic levels to suit their needs.. ie.. arsenic levels in rice, radiation levels in fish, fracking in water... Yet they demand 100% safety in a 99% safer life saving device.

Speaking of nose spray.. Nose spray is one of the main toys used to cull the herds in the conspiracy theories against new world order.
Why do hitler's evil scientists escape life sentences and come to work in America? Bayer aspirin, Plum Island...
Sorry if off topic... I'll drop my insanity pleas & move along now...

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Why would the industry seek approval from the body that tried to unilaterally shut it down in 2009?

When has the FDA ever demonstrated any sense of reason or logic with its treatment of vapors or vaping?

In fact, it is up to the FDA to outline the approval process before we blame manufacturers. To my knowledge, the FDA has not done so. Lets not blame our vendors for not applying yet.

Tapped out

I hope I didn't appear to be blaming manufacturers or vendors; I merely meant to say that the manufacturers should be proactive - perhaps PREEMPTIVE would be a better word, to seek approvals.

The reverse is that the industry produces cheap toxic stuff which causes problems, with the end result that things get banned or overregulated. I am saying PREEMPT that.

The FDA itself is not the issue here, it is Standards and Quality, and I wouldn't expect to see an 'FDA' stamp of approval on a clearo but some other stamp of approval would be a benefit: Even an ECF stamp of approval would be of interest to me if I were a manufacturer.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I hope I didn't appear to be blaming manufacturers or vendors; I merely meant to say that the manufacturers should be proactive - perhaps PREEMPTIVE would be a better word, to seek approvals.
You might be interested in this then...
AEMSA | American E-Liquid Manufacturing Standards Association

It is somewhat controversial, but I'm posting it anyway to show that efforts are being made.
Although it has taken a long time for this to start happening, and as I said, it is a somewhat controversial effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread