2nd Hand Nicotine? (not smoke, but nicotine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
I have no idea where on the forum I read it but I remember seeing something about a guy who chain vaped in his house day in and day out around his wife. He had the same concern so they did nic test on her and found ZERO trace of nic in her system.

PS I vape in bed all the time :) and Hubby never craves nic. He just gets mad at my loud mod batts.

leftfeild

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Scotland
The amount of nic per puff is so small. It's like 1/10th of what's in a cigarette or less, and then the actual person who inhales that again only gets 1/10th of that. Then you exhale it and it's dispersing very quickly and odds are, no one but yourself will get very much nicotine if any at all.

Simply based off this: one cig is anywhere more than 10mg per stick but you actually asorb 1mg or thereabout. If you have 24mg strength nicotine, that's 24mg per millilitre of liquid. One puff is roughly one drop. There is roughly 20 drops per ml. 24/20 = 1.2mg per puff (extremely roughly).

So that's about 1.2mg per puff that's in the vapour. Let's compare to a real cig. 10mg cig or higher, you absorb anywhere just under or above 1mg. 1/10th absorption from something that's specifically designed for quick and good absoption of nicotine. So we actually start with about 1.2mg nic from a 'high' concentration of nicotine (24mg) and you can expect to absorb about 1/10th or less of that again, as the person who is in direct contact with it. 0.12mg of nicotine or even less per puff, as the person who inhaled it directly. That's about 1/100th of what's in a cig nic wise to start with.

Really rough science, based loosely on guesstimates by the tobacco companies that put on the mg amounts on cig packs and guesstimated absorption rates from ecigs as based on some studies that are on the board somewhere.

I think in terms of second hand nicotine you'd be more likely to get higher nic from breathing in second hand breath from someone eating a tomato. Even if they got 'some' nic, it wouldn't be a lot and it's relatively not-that-bad for you anyway.

Edit: Eh, probably not everyone will agree with the 10% absorption rate from ecigs. Controversial as it's not backed up by a lot of studies. Just a guess :)

Last edited:

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
Tell your wife if she's that concerned about 2 hand nicotine that unless she's prepared to pay all the household expenses she should just keep her distance from you while you are vaping. :laugh:

When I was smoking analogs outside on our patio my husband would whine that he could smell the smoke. I told him as long as my $ was used to pay to live in this nasty dump we call home I'd smoke cigars out there if I felt like it. :glare:

It's your house too.

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
No worries. No one is going to become addicted to nicotine from the exhaled vapor.

Certainly no one becomes addicted to nicotine from second hand cigarette smoke. Right? At least I've never heard of that.

Don't let the news media get hold of this idea tho.

Otherwise the next newspaper headline you see will be: "Second Hand Smoke Causes Nicotine Addiction".

Or from NBC: Latest report indates second hand smoke causes addiction. Details after this message.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread