Second hand nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Your child isn't going to develop a nicotine addiction from your vapor. If it worked that way, then everyone we vaped around would become addicted and it just doesn't work that way. There is more than likely a very minute amount of nicotine in the vapor, but the majority of it has already been absorbed by you. If you're vaping 18mg juice, that means there's only 1.8% nicotine per ml. That's not very much in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't worry about this. Second-hand vapor isn't going to be anywhere near as bad as second-hand smoke.

lelly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
Manitoba, Canada
Still not completely convinced, as they state the vapor is not harmful but thats like saying letting my 4 year old vape occasionaly would not be harmful to him!! I do realize that the vapor "probably contains almost no nicotine",and propylene glycol is "largely absorbed and little is exhaled." but that doesn't mean that continuous long term exposure to these little amounts may have some negative effects associated with nicotine use? I guess I worded my first comment wrong, as it is not the addiction I am most concerned about, it is the long-term exposure effects of nicotine. Don't get me wrong, I am completely pro-vaping and I am convinced that it has saved my life, but I am still unsure about exposing my children to it long term, as I had never exposed them to second hand smoke before (and yes, I do realize that is 1000 times worse). I may just be a paranoid, overprotective mother though, as I am sure many will beg to differ.

gotsteam?

Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Alta Loma, SoCAL
admit-one.net
Hi lelly,

My take on this is that you have nothing to worry about concerning any long-term exposure effects of nicotine. Since nicotine is totally and completely absorbed into the body realitively quickly (days). There really isn't any Cumulative effect unless one is a chain smoker. Tar is also completely absorbed by the body but at a much, much, much slower rate. It takes years for a persons lungs to absorb the tars and get pink again from quitting smoking cigarettes.

They say that an average pack a day smoker will have nicotine in their system 20 days after they quit cold turkey. That is roughly 20mg of nicotine a day for one pack of cigarettes. The casual smoker (1-5 cigs a day) has no detectable nicotine in their system after 3-4 days. The ammount of nicotine in your exhale from your PV is barely existent being measured in micrograms (µg) or a millionths of a gram vs. milligrams (mg) or thousandths of a gram. This ammount is so small that is highly unlikely your baby is receiving any nicotine at all in the house and maybe even none in the car if you drive with the windows cracked.

I'm pretty sure that even a cigarette smoker exhales only microgram levels of nicotine. that is how efficient the lungs are when it comes to absorbtion of gasses and particulates.

Bottom line, I think you and your baby are just fine. Cheers!

willyfingers1022

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
Chalfont PA
I have also been wondering this because I don't believe that a great amount of nicotine is absorbed by esmoking so I'm wondering what is left in the exhaled vapor and if it is more transdermal than regular cigarette smoke. I'd also really like to see at what rate vapor disappates into the atmosphere versus cigarette smoke.

Yom Tork

Moved On
Jan 17, 2011
TX
  • Deleted by j0ker
  • Reason: moved on....multiple

DEnd

Jan 17, 2011
USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread