Absurdly frustrated with my mvp2 iclear 30. Throat hit help?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my foray into better mods has been frustrating to say the least. I bought myself an mvp2 with iclear 30 and my dad an innokin VV. Both were dead within 2 weeks but that's beside the point as they got replaced by 101vape so kudos to them for good customer service.

That said, my first mvp2 came with a 1.5 ohm coil and i ordered three 2.1 coils for backups since they seem to be perpetually out of the 1.5's. For my ecig needs, i really need a strong throat hit and I thought the mvp2/iclear30 was just perfect. The best most perfect throat hit i could ask for, no fuss, i loved it. This was on my first mvp2 that died right after I got it.

I get my replacement mvp2 which came with a 2.1 ohm coil and it was....ok. The internet says you use a lower ohm coil for the better throat hit. Two of the 2.1 coils were putting out no throat hit and awful vapor within a week, the third one was pretty good but i had to wash and dry burn it like twice a day sometimes to keep it giving me that good throat hit and even then it was hit or miss. In fact i'm using that last good 2.1 coil right now and getting NO THROAT HIT. It seems totally random whether i get it or not so I figured I needed some more 1.5 ohm coils.

I ordered three 1.5 ohm replacement coils and in two the top coil was DOA, and the third just put out pathetically sad vapor and absolutely zero throat hit. It's probably the most lukewarm least satisfying vapor I could imagine, completely the opposite of my last experience with a 1.5 ohm coil to the point I don't even like using it and I can only assume it's defective as the mvp2 itself seems to work fine.

So am I just the unluckiest person on the planet? I can hardly find anybody that has any issues with these products and people say they get consistently good throat hit from this setup. Am I wrong that the lower resistance coils should give me a better throat hit? That's all I need and I can be content and It seemed my days of constantly fiddling with my ecig to get that elusive perfect throat hit were gone, and now it's even worse than when i was stuck with a crappy joyetech 510 i used before i got my mvp. HOW DO I GET THAT FRICKING CONSISTENT THROAT HIT? I'm using the same fluid i've always used.

To recap since i switched to innokin stuff i've had

1 mvp2 that died within 2 weeks
1 VV that died within 1 week
3 out of 3 seemingly defective 1.5 ohm coils
2 2.1 ohm coils who's output went to crap within 1 week or less
And now my last "okay" coil is performing like crap.

Are innokin products just junk or do i have the worst luck ever? All I want is a fricking ecig that gives me a good consistent strong throat hit with my 16mg pg base Robacco from Azure vaping and I HAD it for the 2 weeks my first mvp2 worked and since then it's just constant frustration.

If you got ANY advice I would appreciate it. I've of course tinkered endlessly with finding the right wattage and not going into the highs that burn out your coils and make your juice taste gross. I"m a bit new but not a total noob here but nobody else on the internet seems to have the problems I'm having. Most people complain about TOO MUCH throat hit with this setup.

Last edited:

Sandron419

Aug 5, 2014
Toledo, OH
Innokin makes consistently reliable and well performing devices. The tank I'm not sure about. Throat hit is most likely not to your liking due to your liquid. What nic level and pg/vg ratio are you using? If throat hit is what you're main concern is I suggest looking at highbrow vapors juices. They're very well crafted, tasty, and give you the option of customizing your vg/pg ration and you can even specify extra throat hit on any juice you order. You will want a primarily pg juice for throat hit. 70/30 is pretty common.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
hmm, well, gosh darn. umm, well, hmm, at least you get the crap qc issues out of the way early in your vape game, and that way the #'s will be stacked in you favor, when you purchase some really good quality stuff:D umm, yeah, got to keep the Vape Powers that Be, satisfied, everyone needs some trash to balance out the treasures received.

Umm hope that helps:lol:

Never tried an iclear or any Innokin products, hmm, nope not a one, but there are some really fine gear to choose from, may want to take a gander at the Aspire line, fell out of love early with kanger, and quickly moved on to the re-buildable path, and gave all me intro toys away.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
First of all, you seem to have some misperceptions. You are looking for love in all the wrong places.

Vape gear is not responsible for "throat hit". The nicotine concentration in the e-liquid is. If you're not getting the throat hit you desire, you need more nicotine in your e-liquid. It's available in progressive amounts: zero, 3mg, 6mg, 12mg, 18mg, and 24mg.

The coil resistance, or ohms, has nothing to do with throat hit at all. The resistance determines how warm the vapor will be: Lower resistance = warmer vapor. Higher resistance = cooler vapor.

To recap: Increase the nicotine concentration of your e-liquids for more throat hit.

If the iClear tanks are not performing to your liking, I suggest trying the Aspire Mini Nautilus with the vertical coil/ceramic wick coil heads. These are said to be revolutionary in performance.

Last edited:
Innokin makes consistently reliable and well performing devices. The tank I'm not sure about. Throat hit is most likely not to your liking due to your liquid.

First of all, you seem to have some misperceptions. You are looking for love in all the wrong places.

Vape gear is not responsible for "throat hit". The nicotine concentration in the e-liquid is. If you're not getting the throat hit you desire, you need more nicotine in your e-liquid. It's available in progressive amounts: zero, 3mg, 6mg, 12mg, 18mg, and 24mg.

I probably should have mentioned that I've been using the same eliquid for literally 3 years because I've tried most of the brands that are favorites of this forum and I keep coming back to what I use because it simply has the best taste and best throat hit for any tobacco juice i've tried and at about 1/4 the price of the favorite high end brands here.

I use the 80% pg 20% vg 16mg Robacco from Azure Vaping and other then trying samplers of all the most recommended stuff here it's what i've used consistently for years mainly because it's a good throat hit and I just like the flavor of it.

As I mentioned, I used this same fluid on my previous mvp with the same clearomizer I had a perfectly consistent vape every single time with no fuss and with my current one, i'll get that good vape for about 10 minutes for every hour I don't. The fluid hasn't changed, the only thing that's changed IS the hardware and even going to a replacement of the same hardware things just aren't working like they were before. My first iclear30 was performing fine, this is the same iclear30 and the only thing I would think would matter would be the coils.

Unless they'e completely changed the way they manufacture the coils and the clearo itself over the span of a month i don't really see why my experience is so different now.

I'm very aware that fluid is the predominant factor with throat hit, it took years of trying fluids before I found what to me is the perfect one and thats' what I've been using for years now so this can only be a gear issue.

Given the poor performance of my current gear (while the previous mvp with identical clearo, coil, and fluid worked amazing) I'm honestly starting to wonder if i got yet ANOTHER defective MVP2 because this same batch of liquid was vaping fine just a few days ago and i haven't had a proper throat hit since despite swapping 4 coils in and out.

As far as quality control, i've frankly had nothing but trouble since i started using Innokin stuff which is baffling because nobody else seems to ever have issues with them.

Last edited:

Sandron419

Aug 5, 2014
Toledo, OH
I can say with near certainty your issues don't stem from your mod. The MVP is very popular and regarded as a great mod and the vv is what I use every week, 6 days a week, 10 hours a day at work without issue. After some research I'd say almost any tank would be an upgrade to your iclear. Just for peace of mind, and potentially eliminate the tank as a cause, I'd suggest ordering an evod tank. They can be had for about 5 dollars and I assure you they do not negatively affect throat hit at all. The iclear could have too much airflow I suppose, so if you don't mind spending the extra money try a reputable tank with airflow control (kanger aero and nautilus aspire come to mind). If the issue still persists then maybe start looking for different juices. Companies do in fact change their formulas sometimes for various reasons so perhaps shoot azure an email and see if they have. Good luck man !!

I can say with near certainty your issues don't stem from your mod. The MVP is very popular and regarded as a great mod and the vv is what I use every week, 6 days a week, 10 hours a day at work without issue. After some research I'd say almost any tank would be an upgrade to your iclear. Just for peace of mind, and potentially eliminate the tank as a cause, I'd suggest ordering an evod tank. They can be had for about 5 dollars and I assure you they do not negatively affect throat hit at all. The iclear could have too much airflow I suppose, so if you don't mind spending the extra money try a reputable tank with airflow control (kanger aero and nautilus aspire come to mind). If the issue still persists then maybe start looking for different juices. Companies do in fact change their formulas sometimes for various reasons so perhaps shoot azure an email and see if they have. Good luck man !!

Yeah thanks. I was actually thinking of asking azure if they changed the formula to my beloved robacco. it actually tasted a bit oddly floral when i got it at first but it went away within a week and it seems the same, only the throat hit just isn't always there......yet sometimes it IS there.

As for the iclear, that's frustrating, i LOVED my first one, it was literally perfect. And i actually got that and gave my dad my old evod, i preferred at least my last iclear to the evod which was a bit frustrating with the constant gurgling issues.

That said, while i was writing this i took a couple pulls from my mvp, same clearo, same coil i mentioned previously and i got that good throat hit i need and vapor was outstanding. It's like this setup has a mind of it's own. It'll be great, then awful, i'll wash and dry burn my coil and it'll be great, then awful, then great again. I just can't get that consistency i had with my replaced mvp/iclear30 which was PERFECT.

How does the nautilus mini stack up to the regular nautilus? I like the slimmer form factor of the mini but people only seem to recommend the normal one. Been kicking around upgrading to that at some point.

I have both the mini Nautilus and the regular (use the mini on a vv and the regular on a itaste SVD) and they both work great for me. The biggest thing for me is that the mini is a lot easier to overtighten, making for a frustrating, rubber grip/towel filled few minutes when I want to remove it. That is all my fault when it happens though -- I just have to be a bit more careful when cleaning and reconnecting.

Bellasman

Sep 12, 2014
ashville, NC
Idk if you've fixed the problem but to tell my little story, i bought the buck naked express vaporizer and within 1 month my tank died so i bought a new one and not even a month later its burning the insides out horribly, i thought maybe the battery was to blame so i bought a cheap replacement and it wasn't strong enough half the time, with your exact problem, i tried everything and had poor results, my first ecig was the blu so i knew the filters were good but their batteries sucked so i used the buck naked battery with the click activate and the blu filter, still it simply wasn't as good as one i had used before, frustrated i wrapped clear tape around the filter where it screwed to my battery and poked holes in two of the 4 air notches and still not good enough, the blu filters have rubber caps over the bottoms so i notched a hole in the rubber cap and replaced the hard plastic mouth cap with my new rubber one and perfect, with excellent throat hit

hmmm since you have been using the same juice for 3 years and the equipment is causing issues and you want more TH... time to upgrade your equipment...

consider looking at some of the 30+ watt VV/VW mods and a good tank/atty, something you can rebuild and customize the coil to suit your TH needs

So since I think some people weren't really on the same page as me but everybody was interested in helping. I got some advice for people with my very common setup because I did solve the problem.

The main way i solved it was getting a nautilus mini, though that also has it's nuances and it's throat hit goes to zero after a mere day of vaping, but the few days before it arrived i figured out how to get my iclear 30 to perform properly.....MOST of the time.

THe wicking is the issue with the iclear 30, if you have it constantly filled up to the top line, i think the coils are too wet for the elements to heat right, if it's not filled enough you just aren't vaporizing much juice. No idea why this wasn't an issue on my last one but it is on this one with every head i put in it.

So basically, I got 1.5 ohm coils, would fill it up only to about halfway between the top line and the next line below that, and always store it on it's side. That got me a fairly consistent throat hit most of the time. Also, you need to dry burn your coils when you just can't get any throat hit no matter what you do, i had to do this every 1 to 2 days.

Take out the coil head, wash it thoroughly, take off the rubber cap, pour water through it. Dry the whole thing (except the inside coils which can't really be reached obviously), dry the wicks themselves thoroughly. I would just get a towel and roll the thing across it till they felt fairly dry to the touch.

Put it back on the base and and reattach it to your battery/apv without the rubber cap or tank and just fire it for about 4 seconds repeatedly till there's not really any smoke coming off it and till the coils get red hot fairly quick again. Let it get not super hot before putting the rubber cap back on. Reassemble the tank and fill with juice and you got a pretty fresh coil again.

The Nautilus performs amazing but if you need that throat hit like i do, you gotta baby this thing and now that i've learned how for those that need max throat hit, here's what i do. You pretty much gotta rotate the coil ever day if you're using a darker colored or tobacco juice which leaves a lot of gunk on the coils. Contrary to popular belief you CAN dry burn nautilus BVC coils just fine.

Once your just not getting proper throat hit. Remove your coil (replace it with a fresh or clean one), run it under water, suck up water and blow it through it to get as much junk out of it as possible. Blow air through it to get as much air out as possible. let some of the water evaporate for an hour or so. put it back on your battery/apv. Dryburn it in about 4 second increments and continue to do till it stops smoking and you can see the coil get red behind the mesh screen.

IMPORTANT: Many complain about a horrible taste afterwards. I assume it's due to the design of the coil. When you dry burned all the sediment off the coil, there is now gross ecig juice sludge ash inside the reservoir area of the coil. The first time i did this it tasted HORRIBLE. Thoroughly rewash it like you did earlier then set it out in the sun for a day. When you get it back it will be like a brand new coil.

I have to dry burn my nautilus coils more than any other tank coil i've had but the thing gives me such a beautiful strong throat hit and performs so well I don't mind it. I have 4 coils in rotation right now. When one stops performing, just wash, dryburn, wash, set out to dry.

So yeah. Those that said the iclear30 just isn't a great tank were right. No idea why my first one performed so well. The QC SUCKS for their coil heads to say the least.

Warpigs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
USA
To me the nic level was the thing that controled my TH's. I started off with 36-38nic. I got awsome throat hits. Just what I needed to get off the cigs. I did that for a few months then went down to 24nic. 24nic is not great but gives decent throat hits, nothing like the 36-38nic. I have stuck with the 24 nic as it's not as harsh and I don't really need those huge TH's anymore. I enjoy the flavor better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread