Battery charging question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Rhode Island
My Riva 901 lasts the entire day without needing a charge. I've been putting it on the charger every night anyway, figuring I'd be starting the day with a full charge. A coworker told me I'm better off using the battery until it blinks empty then charge it. He said it was better for the battery. He told me putting it on the charger before it's actually in need of a charge will shorten the amount of time it will hold a charge and shorten it overall lifespan. Is this true? I'll switch to only charging when needed if it's the best cycle to be using. Thanks!

Analog1990

Apr 17, 2011
CA
No Recharging more often is actually better for Li-ion batteries. If you have a fully charged battery it is actually better to switch it and keep your batteries as charged as possible. Ni-Cad batteries would build a memory and required full discharging before recharge Li-ion do not.

Concur.... Li-ion cells are pretty dummy proof... Especially protected cells as available for flashlights. If anything, you do not want Li-ions to drain completely and sit for any length of time. Every Li-ion I have ever bought came charged as they need to be kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread