Budget vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Doing either would save you money. It kind of depends on your skillsets. I use both RTAs and DIY, but I find DIY MUCH easier (though I have some physical limitations). Often an RTA will come with some cotton and a couple premade coils, and your mods should run them provided you are selecting something without crazy low resistance. Coils can last a long time if cared for well (several months) and cotton or rayon is inexpensive (I use Rayon, got enough for several years (probably) for about 6 bucks.

With all that said, there is a learning curve to RTAs and if that's what you want to go with, I'd suggest checking out the RTA forum and coilbuilding forum to get a sense of what might work for you. Though it's ideal to have an Ohms reader and some tools, often they aren't required immediately and you CAN test your builds and dry fire them on your mods. The Innoken Ares and the Siren V2 are both easy to set up, (IMO). I don't have the ares, but I actually am one of the minority that enjoys the Siren V2 flavor a lot, and it's certainly got an adjustable airflow, meaning you can make it more airy if that's what you prefer. I'm still using the first coil that came with it though I've rewicked a time or two. The ares may give you better flavor, I'm not sure, but it's similar to the Siren V2 and probably even slightly easier to build on.

With that said, if you go the DIY route, I would maybe recommend reading some recipes and starting out with single flavor, tester mixes. I might get some premade flavors you like, but less of them, and try mixing some with your DIY flavors in your tank (as well as combining two flavor mixes that you make yourself in your tank). I read a lot of recipes before starting and tasted a lot of storebought juices to see what I liked. With single flavor mixes, you may wish to add a few drops of sweetener I use FA Supersweet, which is sucralose. The idea being to gently get you started in DIY and figuring out what flavor combinations you like without a HUGE investment in flavors to start. As you progress, you'll probably find what works for you and can switch over to DIY flavors completely. I had some storebought coconut around as well a coco and they were both fairly sweet, so I used some of them in my DIY mixes (in my tank at first, in case I hated it) to just get a sense of what goes well with what. I'm up to 3 flavor mixes with sweetener now and I feel pretty confident in my DIY skills.

The other option might be buying flavor shots and mixing the rest yourself. Often flavor mixes don't require a huge amount of steeping, so that can be a help as well. Check out the DIY e-liquid forum for just TONS of information and resources. DIY too can be done on a budget as you will slowly be able to increase flavorings as your DIY skills progress and rely less and less on storebought juices.

Hope some of this is helpful!

Anna

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
The Liquid Barn DIY Starter Kit in currently $63.99 and that should include FREE Shipping and with a coupon code could save up to 20%. With all the other supplies included that will add up especially doing the Math and adding in all the shipping fees for different vendors. With the LB Kit you need nothing else because you get everything in one box to be a successful DIY e-Liquid mixologist.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I don't trust eliquid depot for my own experiences.

Hmm, yeah would be nice to get everything in one place. I guess DIY seems like a better option... I was worried though to get a few recipes I'd need endless flavors but I guess investing in flavors is better than spending 150 on juice for two people each month. I just want to cut down on cost

DIY intimidates lots of folks, they are under the impression they need to start out with complex recipes. Best bet is to start out with single flavor mixes and dial in the % to suit your tastes. You can then experiment by mixing your single flavors together. Soon after you'll find yourself posting about how easy and inexpensive DIY is.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Building your own coils did save some money. DIY your own juice saves big bucks. That simple.

Get one liter of 100 mg nic. At a 5 mg juice (simplify the math) that's enough for 20 LITERS of juice. That'll cost you about $50. Given your budget of $250 to cover your month, you'll be able to make enough juice from that for 2,000 household members.

To start out a liter of PG and VG, $20 free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime.

Couple of glass bottles, a few syringes, and a few plastic unicorn bottles, $15 same source free shipping. That's $85, with enough raw materials (VG the limiting factor of a liter of juice, but a liter will last a few people more than a month, hell, more than a few).

Tough part. Flavors. First what do you like? If you know that go hunt down some recipes/clones of your faves. Buy only those flavors needed to start. Maybe 8 flavors out of the gate, about $35.

So, for $120 you have enough supplies for at least six months of juice with enough nic on hand for another year or two depending how much nic in the juice and how many ml you vape. Nothing else comes close to savings for high quality juice.

How hard is DIY? If you can mix a drink you can DIY. Coll building requires some skill and time to learn.

Building my own coils probably saves me $20 a month over buying factory coils. Mixing my own juice saves me closer to $100 a month of premium retail juice.

When you do figure out RTAs are for you, realize one, the cost of an RTA is about the same as a factory coil tank. Wire and wick is your only ongoing cost which is pennies. However even if you burn through three factory coils a week the big savings are still on the DIY side of things.

Last edited:

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I buy pre rolled coils for my rda, costs me about 8$ for 8 coils, one pair lasts for months with good care,cotton was about the same price (8$) the time it lasts depends on alot of things just like a normal drop in coil from a normal tank, the gunkier the liquids the more you'll change it. i mostly use clearer type of liquids so it lasts for at least a week and takes about 10mins to change.
No idea about liquids DIY as i'm not that kind of guy and too lazy to learn it. I do however know there exists a site for u.s shoppers that offers cheap juice, and i've heard good things about it.

Reactions: stols001

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I agree with everyone about DIY e-liquid. That is where the savings really shine. You can buy flavor blends at a few places. I have bought a few at onestopdiyshop.com . You can save some cash by buying the blends and some of them are very good. onestop sells sample sizes so it won't cost much to find some that you like.

This is my simple way to DIY. You will find that it doesn't take a lot of equipment.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I don't think DIY starter kits are the way to go. They come with lots of stuff you don't need. Amazon for empty juice bottles and VG and PG, Nude Nic for 100 mg nic and a couple syringes, Some Capella Vanilla Custard and TFA Vanilla bean Ice Cream from ecig express and you're in business. 13% Custard, 3% Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Depending on what you like in flavors, there are actually a lot of flavors that are good for standalone flavors. You could just get 3 or 4 you think you might like and Nic plus vg and pg. Real cheap that way to try out.

You can get more complex later if you want then.

I used just Double RY4 and a few other flavors solo when I first started. It didn't cost much and was fine at the time.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I agree with everyone about DIY e-liquid. That is where the savings really shine. You can buy flavor blends at a few places. I have bought a few at onestopdiyshop.com . You can save some cash by buying the blends and some of them are very good. onestop sells sample sizes so it won't cost much to find some that you like.

This is my simple way to DIY. You will find that it doesn't take a lot of equipment.

I wish that I had seen your blog before I started DIY. I bought a kit and a bunch of stuff I never use. I am down to a 60ml and 10ml syringe, a blunt 3 inch 14 gauge needle and a 125ml bottle. I use 100% VG thinned with water to about the viscosity of 70 VG/30 PG. Simplicity.
I was curious, why do you use saline in your mix? What is the effect of the NaCl on your coils?

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Agreed, I dumped a fair amount of money in a kit and other than the syringes, I don't use any of it.

I don't think DIY starter kits are the way to go. They come with lots of stuff you don't need. Amazon for empty juice bottles and VG and PG, Nude Nic for 100 mg nic and a couple syringes, Some Capella Vanilla Custard and TFA Vanilla bean Ice Cream from ecig express and you're in business. 13% Custard, 3% Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I prefer the K.I.S.S. method! If you are satisfied with the vape your current gear is providing, and I am assuming you are, focus on DIY to get started. Opinions vary, but for personal reasons, mixing by weight works best for me. If interested or curious, a thread worth reading: 500g x 0.01g High Precision Digital Scale SF-400D2 Counting wit USB Wall Adapter | eBay Just using my suppliers for costs:

A scale from ebay $22.50

Base supplies from Heartland vapes:

1 liter 100mg nic $45
1 liter of VG and 1 liter PG $26
An decent assortment of bottles/caps/droppers/misc (estimate only) $25

Total to mix a couple liters of unflavored e-juice, $118.50 with most of the nic left over as well as still having your scale and some bottles and whatever misc stuff you got. First purchase of VG and PG there gets you to free shipping. Additional purchases can be made from any suggested vendor.

For flavorings, I use OSDIY that @mattiem suggested. Nice to be able to get small bottles to try and some of their blends are very good making for a very easy mix. Once you find what you like, buying in larger bottles cuts the cost even more. The last 100ml mix for me cost $2.90 and will last me a couple months.

That gets you started, but some additional/future purchases will come. But they will be minimal and pale in comparison to buying your e-juice.

Once you get some mixes set that work for you, then if you want/need even more savings. you can ease into building as you see fit.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Agreed, I dumped a fair amount of money in a kit and other than the syringes, I don't use any of it.
me too...it was about 6 years ago. Funnels, graduated cylinders, pipettes, crappy nic, blah blah blah....Thanks Wizard Labs!

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I wish that I had seen your blog before I started DIY. I bought a kit and a bunch of stuff I never use. I am down to a 60ml and 10ml syringe, a blunt 3 inch 14 gauge needle and a 125ml bottle. I use 100% VG thinned with water to about the viscosity of 70 VG/30 PG. Simplicity.
I was curious, why do you use saline in your mix? What is the effect of the NaCl on your coils?
I hope my simple way of mixing will help those that think one must be a rocket scientist to mix these simple ingredients together. I was a bit nervous until I found how simple it really is.

It may just be in my head but I think it helps with the dryness vaping can cause.

edited to add: I don't think it affects my coils but I have been using it for years so it might and I have just gotten used to it.

Last edited:

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Agree the blog post is very informative. Clear finger nail polish on the syringe markings work a little better than clear tape though
I tried the clear polish but found clear packing tape was easier for me. It is another case of one way isn't better than another way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread