Budgeting Rant (All Good)

Status
Not open for further replies.

upStomp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
North Central Mass
My Wife and I just cut our monthly eCig budget in 1/2. It occured to me that the amount of money we're now saving would buy us a new car compared to what we were spending 3-4 years ago on smokes.

The last time we were smoking commercial cigs bought in Massachusetts it cost us about $6.00/pack each. That's about $360/month. (They're now about $8/pack in Mass) So...

We started buying our cigarettes in New Hampshire when they were about $4.00/pack. That's $240/month.

NH quickly took advantage of the continued Mass tax hikes and raised theirs to the tune of $5.00/pack. Back up to $300/month. So...

We started rolling our own cigarettes with pipe tobacco, bought in New Hampshire, a little over a year ago. Cost of about $100/month. The first time we got sick while smoking these, we couldn't get healthy again. So...

We started vaping and capped ourselves off at $100/month, which we found gave us some wiggle room to experiment with different hardware and juices.

Now that we're pretty well settled, we cut our ecig budget in 1/2 to $50/month. This includes cartos, atties, DIY supplies as needed, and the occasional pre-mixed juice.

I'm actually sure we could cut it down to about $30, but I like having the extra cash to put aside for bulk purchases and new tech should the need arise.

We consume on average 1 box of Boge cartos per month at $9 (I have enough atties to last us a few years); 5mls of FA flavoring at a cost of about $3.50; 20mls of 100mg Nic at $3.25; $2.50 worth of PG & VG.

My total monthly cost of vaping for two people: $18.25 - 30 cents a day per person.

Right now that would barely cover one day of smoking at Massachusetts cigarette prices. There are also plenty of ways for us to save even more. Now that I'm running the actual numbers, I'm sure with some bulk purchases I could get the average cost down to around $10. I'm not including battery purchases, but those are too rare and unpredictable for me to factor in.

So what's my point in this? I don't really have one. I just thought it might be interesting to some to see what's financially possible right now with their move to vaping.

:toast:

Last edited:

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
now this is smart thinking! Thanks for sharing. As I get more accustomed to vaping, i'm sure to cut my budget down. At the moment i'm investing primarily in spare joye 510 batteries, attys, and testing out different juices. I do plan to have a personal financial vaping plan for the future though.

$8/pk for analogs, WOW!!

upStomp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
North Central Mass
Thanks guys. Those first few months are key. Experiment as much as your budget will allow and eventually you'll find your rhythm. Then you can settle in on the core stuff you need month-to-month.

Of course, much of this only applies if you're under a tight budget. Even at $100/month per person, most would still be saving a bunch over a 1 PAD habit. Plus you'd get to buy all the mods you want.

EMTJH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
Missouri
I really don't think I will ever save money by vaping. The cost for a pack here is only $2.70. I was a pad smoker. I do however feel better, and it is nice to go to the gas station and buy just gas. I'm sure I could save a little by diy, but I am investing in hardware at this time, so a couple bucks for some liquid that last about three days is no big deal to me. To the op, you mentioned your savings will allow you to buy a new car, it is a goal of mine that when I reach 6 months smoke free, I am going to buy a new car. I am thinking about a new subaru sti (I am a subaru guy). Congrats to you and your wife for quiting, always good to read these stories!

upStomp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
North Central Mass
I really don't think I will ever save money by vaping. The cost for a pack here is only $2.70. I was a pad smoker. I do however feel better, and it is nice to go to the gas station and buy just gas. I'm sure I could save a little by diy, but I am investing in hardware at this time, so a couple bucks for some liquid that last about three days is no big deal to me. To the op, you mentioned your savings will allow you to buy a new car, it is a goal of mine that when I reach 6 months smoke free, I am going to buy a new car. I am thinking about a new subaru sti (I am a subaru guy). Congrats to you and your wife for quiting, always good to read these stories!

I'm a Subaru guy too. I've got an '05 Legacy now and love it. I've had an Outback Sport in the past, and one of my first cars was an XT (from the pre-AWD days). Best of luck, and be careful with that STI when you get it ;).

Brewlady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm a Subaru guy too. I've got an '05 Legacy now and love it. I've had an Outback Sport in the past, and one of my first cars was an XT (from the pre-AWD days). Best of luck, and be careful with that STI when you get it ;).

'07 Outback here! I LOVE my Subaru!! Especially when the roads in Massachusetts seem to have more potholes than pavement.

Bootsand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2010
Ohio
The difference in cost really is amazing. I had a similar situation, my girl and I switched to rolling pipe tobacco (had a nice little machine for it and everything) and that helped loads... then I switched to vaping and DIY juice, and she went back to Marlboro's. That was over a year ago.

One step forward, two steps back :( My monthly nicotine budget: Nil. I'm stocked up for the next year. Her monthly budget: $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread