Did you cut down before quitting?

Did you reduce the number of tobacco cigarettes you smoked before you quit completely?

• Yes, I reduced the number smoked before I quit

• No, I smoked the usual amount and then just quit one day

• Have reduced the number smoked and intend to quit

• Have reduced the number smoked but don't intend to quit

• Have not not reduced the number smoked

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't completely stop smoking until late November--I didn't really keep track because I wasn't intending to quit. The overpriced Smoking Everywhere 2.0 I bought a year ago got lost not long after purchase and their customer disservice was unable to send me the right atomizer and based on that experience, I didn't expect to ever quit smoking but just hoped to cut back when I got my first 510...but when I discovered I could go days at a time without an analog once using the 510, I ordered additional supplies and bought one last pack of analogs...a few weeks later when I still had nearly half a pack left and a neighbor asked to bum one I shrugged and said, "here, take the rest. I don't really want them anymore" The week before Thanksgiving I forgot to bring batteries with me to work so I choked down a couple analogs, but from that point on I've made sure to not repeat that mistake and I try to carry a Camel dissolvable around in case of emergencies--I don't really care for the taste, and I miss the vapor when I don't have it, but most of the time now I'd rather just suffer through a nic craving than endure the flavor of cigarette smoke.

I took a drag off the analog a lady friend was smoking a while ago and just the one hit grossed me out more than the first cigarette I ever smoked (which surprised me how much I didn't dislike) and I gratefully took several nice big hits on my Xhaler to get rid of the taste! So yes, I did cut down and the last few cigs I had were just "experiments" to see if I still liked them.

The problem I always had trying to quit smoking was actually a fear that I would have to deprive myself of the pleasure not just in the moment, but forever. I could quit and deal with it "one day at a time", but eventually I'd find some sort of excuse to re-start. Thanks to e-cigs, I don't have that fear. I don't have to give up what I enjoyed about smoking (the physical activity, the boost of "focus" for my ADHD brain, the calming substantiation of a real "break"--people who've never smoked don't know the joy of a smoke vape break, watching the clouds of smoke/vapor float peacefully away, and the social aspect); but I now have the FREEDOM to give up what I hated about smoking (stinky clothes, bad breath, difficulting smelling, tasting, & breathing, nasty lingering coughing fits that turned a common cold into a miserable case of bronchitis, etc).

I love the fact that I have stopped smoking, but I'm no quitter! ;)

The Devil's Thadvocate in me loves that I stopped smoking by breaking many of the "rules" traditional smoking cessation programs tell you to follow. I didn't "set a quit date and stick with it"...One day I simply realized that I hadn't had a "real" cigarette in a few days but since I didn't want one.

Last edited:

nj1001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2009
Boston-ish
I was a pack a day of American Spirits for over a decade. Got an e-cig & used it when I got it. Smoked 5 analogs the next day & two the day after that, all while vaping too. By the third day & ever since I haven't had any. I'll occasionally (once a month, if that) ask a friend ripping analogs for a drag & it only re-fortifies my belief/the obvious fact that analogs are horrid & e-cigs are the bomb. I made no effort to reduce the # of analogs I smoked, it just happened naturally once I got my first e-cig. An easy transition for me.

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
I smoked for 24 years.
I got an e-cig for an international flight in Feb last year... (I hated the thought of using a patch, they always made me feel bad) I smoked and vaped till April, I was down to 5 analogs a day and just decided to quit altogether.
It was never really my plan, but once I was only smoking the 5 it seemed like a good thing to do, so I did. :rolleyes:

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Wisconsin-deep in the woods
I really struggled for about 3 months. But we had a trip coming up that was ALL no smoking. 11 days! Planned and paid for by my husbands job. OMG!!
I got my ecig in Jan. and right away went from 2 packs a day to 1/2 pack. But I got stuck, mentally. I just didn't want to give up that little piece of rebel that likes to piss people off. I new once I quit I could never go back and it scared the crap out of me! I even tried some stupid little toothpick size mini cigs instead of my regular 120s :) They just frustrated me and I finally quit.
The ecig was great in the no smoking hotels, the no smoking cruise ship and on the airplanes.
I had tried to quit only once before- half-heartedly for 2 days on the patch. Yuck. But I watch my hubby and others quit and start many times and decided I would just die early, but happy. My 901 and 401 changed that for me.
It's been just about 9 months now and I don't have cravings nearly as much anymore. I will always miss my smokes - 34 years is a long time. But I don't miss all the crap that goes with them. I have my womanly voice back! I have too much support from my hubby and boys to ever go back. I couldn't disappoint them like that. And I want to live to see a few more grandkids!!

nightowl

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
Quincy, IL
I had just taken my second drag off an analog when my son walked in with my first pv that had just been delivered. I stubbed out my analog and switched immediately. I've had 1 slip in the week since then because my 20 yr old sat his pack of analogs where mine had always been and I grabbed one out of habit. I almost puked. Now he's using my pv every chance he gets and we both have 510s ordered. Over 20 years of analogs and I haven't really missed em especially since I got my smoke juice sampler pack from Johnson Creek.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I cut down after I started vaping - before it was 20-30 cigs per day, day of 510 it was 8, day I ran out of juice was 10 :lol: days since I got tastyvapor juice - 4 max and mostly 2. I can see 0 coming up soon. Never tried to quit before - this makes analogs..irrelavent. Really the FDA/Govt health body should look into this as to me its HUGE that dyed-in-the-wool smokers are just spontaneously giving up without a fight. That's kind of what they wanted isn't it? lol

The funniest thing is, I was literally so excited about the PV.... I slowly quit over a week span BEFORE I even got it in the mail. I could have probably just ditched the PV too at that point because I just didn't care. But I do love smoking in all senses. (without the health issues...) Just gonna slowly take it down to no nic and just keep vaping without it. :D

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
In the time since I received my first eCig:

One of the first days, I didn't bring enough battery power to work with me on a long day, and on last break bummed a cigarette from a co-worker and smoked it.
I once lit a cigarette absent mindedly, took a couple drags and put it out.
Several days ago, I tried smoking one, out of curiosity. Couple drags and extinguished.

I honestly have no craving for analogs. In fact, the last few times I've taken a drag, they tasted really bad! You could say, other than the few exceptions I listed above, I quit smoking instantly with my first vape. :)

Daifne

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Wisconsin
I had ordered my months supply of analogs (6 cartons for my Jan order -- Still have 5 left) about a week before I decided to get my first e-cig, a Janty Dura-C. I immediately went from 1.5 - 2 packs/day down to between 3 and 8 analogs a day. I have been stuck there for about two weeks now. I got a TW Tornado on Saturday and am hoping that this does the trick. It really is a nice pv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread