Do body material affect voltage drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i'm gonna upgrade my mech mod. And the mod i'm looking into have 2 version. 1 is full brass and another is full ss.

Both have the same connectors made using brass +ve, -ve and brass firing button but different body. 1 is brass body and another is stainless steel body.

Problem for me is, should i get the full brass or the SS version? I prefer the ss body but will ss body cause an increase in voltage drop compared to the brass version? As we know brass have better conductivity than stainless steel. but what i'm concerned is the material of the body does it play a big part in determining the voltage drop of the device? Of course we're talking about dv under load.

Here's the photo.

1045252_188206874674635_495521492_n.jpg

Last edited:

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
Well brass is definitely a better conductor than SS, however from my experience the biggest voltage drop is from the contact points in the mod, or springs that are cheap quality in the cheaper mechs. I think a meter may show a difference if you were to clean up both mods, but when you actually used, it would be hard to tell a difference

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
The tube is just a container for the switch and battery, and should have no effect on conductivity. As long as they both have the brass springs and switch, get the one that looks better to your eyes :vapor:

The tube acts as a conductor in a mech (and most non mechs) So the tube material is of some significance

The tube is just a container for the switch and battery, and should have no effect on conductivity. As long as they both have the brass springs and switch, get the one that looks better to your eyes :vapor:

It's not only a container. The circuit doesn't complete without the metal outer tubes. Try replacing them with plastic it just won't work.

Well brass is definitely a better conductor than SS, however from my experience the biggest voltage drop is from the contact points in the mod, or springs that are cheap quality in the cheaper mechs. I think a meter may show a difference if you were to clean up both mods, but when you actually used, it would be hard to tell a difference

Hmm but why only the contact point matters? Don't the body matters more? Because of the longer distance traveled in the medium to complete the circuit? Forgive me i'm a ...... with electrical stuffs.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Metallurgy is an art in and of itself. Conductivity can vary a lot.

However, chances are that there's so much material conducting that it won't matter much and that the only thing that matters is the contact points...

You'd have to have them to test, but you could use a multi-meter. Bet it would be near zero ohms from end-to-end assuming you had good contact at the probes. That's a big wide conductor for the ground.

Last edited:
Yes there will be a difference, how much of a difference depends on the alloy of the SS. Not all SS is created equal.

But at least you know WHY they make a brass version.

Thanks for clearing up. Its made of SS 304/Brass 360.

Does it affect much in terms of the voltage drop?

Or the pins matter most?

Metallurgy is an art in and of itself. Conductivity can very a lot.

However, chances are that there's so much material conducting that it won't matter much and that the only thing that matters is the contact points...

You'd have to have them to test, but you could use a multi-meter. Bet it would be near zero ohms from end-to-end assuming you had good contact at the probes. That's a big wide conductor for the ground.

Yeah would probably be near zero but what i'm concerned is the dv under load. Would it be much difference if i were to take the SS one compared to brass? Cause according to the maker, he claims that both gives out the same dv.

doesn't the body act as a ground? if this is true any metal should work fine as current isnt traveling through it but just grounding to it.

i could be wrong.

Not so sure about this. Can someone clarify this?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
The "ground" in DC current is still a conductor. It completes the circuit.

Delta-V is probably near zero in both cases (guessing but fairly certain). It's based on material, sure, but also surface area. Plenty of surface area.

I wouldn't worry about that aspect. However, the contacts are a different thing altogether. Pay attention to what they use and what button.

BTW...why so worried? You don't need to make a 10 coil monster rig to get a good vape. Just say'n. ....
Don't blow your battery up.

Jfaria1891

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
The Huge State Of Rhode Island

Delta-V is probably near zero in both cases (guessing but fairly certain). It's based on material, sure, but also surface area. Plenty of surface area.

I wouldn't worry about that aspect. However, the contacts are a different thing altogether. Pay attention to what they use and what button.

BTW...why so worried? You don't need to make a 10 coil monster rig to get a good vape. Just say'n. ....

cars use DC and u can ground the battery to literally anything engine block, chassis, frame whatever.
thats where im basing my knowledge and assumptions from, how it relates to PVs im not so sure but i believe its along the same lines.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Brass is about 40% conductive of copper 99.9 % copper is 100%, silver is 110% more conductive than copper and gold is 90% OF copper if I remember the numbers right. But those metals tarnish quickly. I prefer mods with copper gold plated or sliver contacts. But My EA has Brass and it works pretty well.
IMO unless you are pushing your mod with sub OHM coils you will not notice any difference

It's just my personal preference. I currently vape at 0.8ohm genny with my current mod that gives 0.8dv under load.

So i wanna get something that gives lesser dv maybe a 0.2-0.3v so i can set my coils to be 1.5ohm.

Therefore i need to make sure i don't lose much dv if i choose the ss over the brass version.

Interesting, the conductivity of Brass and 304 SS are about the same, but the restiveness isn't even close!
Everything you ever wanted to know about metals and how electricity flows through them, Conductive Materials or Metal Conductivity - TIBTECH innovations -

what is resistiveness and how does it affect dv?

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
It's not only a container. The circuit doesn't complete without the metal outer tubes. Try replacing them with plastic it just won't work.

Hmm but why only the contact point matters? Don't the body matters more? Because of the longer distance traveled in the medium to complete the circuit? Forgive me i'm a ...... with electrical stuffs.

No, the contacts matter most, they are not the only thing. Contact points are weak because the metals will not sit flush with each other, or the spring is subpar material, etc. As an example, if you have two wires, one is VERY thick but made of a cheaper or less conductive material, and another wire that is VERY thin, but made of a better conductor, the thick one could actually have less resistance. The tube is a large conductor, so despite possibly being a poor conductor, the sheer mass of it for current to travel through would cause it to likely be low resistance. This is why people who buy cheaper mods (i have a sig 19) improve performance greatly by doing things like sanding contact points, and replacing springs or conductive screws with better material.

No, the contacts matter most, they are not the only thing. Contact points are weak because the metals will not sit flush with each other, or the spring is subpar material, etc. As an example, if you have two wires, one is VERY thick but made of a cheaper or less conductive material, and another wire that is VERY thin, but made of a better conductor, the thick one could actually have less resistance. The tube is a large conductor, so despite possibly being a poor conductor, the sheer mass of it for current to travel through would cause it to likely be low resistance. This is why people who buy cheaper mods (i have a sig 19) improve performance greatly by doing things like sanding contact points, and replacing springs or conductive screws with better material.

In simple words, body material does not affect voltage drop whether it's made of brass or ss. The thing that does is the material of the contact points. Am i right to say this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread