Do body material affect voltage drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Look, it's not metal conductivity alone that you'd need to be worried about, it's surface area*, and there's plenty. Focus on the contacts and connections between things.

You shouldn't need so many amps that you're worried about body material unless you're messing with SLR. Then, you need:
1) reviews of devices - because there's lots of variables like button type, vents, contacts, contact materials and/or plating
2) A multi-meter to check things
3) Additional catastrophic insurance policy :lol:

And if the mech-mod doesn't work or works poorly when you press the button....don't keep pressing it. Find the problem using the meter so you don't heat the battery.

Good point about materials and contact cleaner unloaded.

* surface area is why stranded wire conducts better than solid wire. There's more surface area. Thus, the electricity travels on the OUTSIDE surface of a wire. lol. However, there's plenty of surface area on a mech mod for ground. We're not talking about 5 or 10 hair-sized wires. We're talking about having a whole mod enclosure to conduct/be ground state. Plenty of surface area.

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
* surface area is why stranded wire conducts better than solid wire. There's more surface area. Thus, the electricity travels on the OUTSIDE surface of a wire. lol. However, there's plenty of surface area on a mech mod for ground. We're not talking about 5 or 10 hair-sized wires. We're talking about having a whole mod enclosure to conduct/be ground state. Plenty of surface area.
This only applies to AC and high frequency DC signals. A mech mod uses uses an unpulsed DC signal so there is no "skin effect". The current flows equally throughout the conductor.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
So i'm gonna upgrade my mech mod. And the mod i'm looking into have 2 version. 1 is full brass and another is full ss.

Both have the same connectors made using brass +ve, -ve and brass firing button but different body. 1 is brass body and another is stainless steel body.

Problem for me is, should i get the full brass or the SS version? I prefer the ss body but will ss body cause an increase in voltage drop compared to the brass version? As we know brass have better conductivity than stainless steel. but what i'm concerned is the material of the body does it play a big part in determining the voltage drop of the device? Of course we're talking about dv under load.

Here's the photo.

1045252_188206874674635_495521492_n.jpg

OFF TOPIC:but how do you post your pics so big,when i post they are smaller.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
This only applies to AC and high frequency DC signals. A mech mod uses uses an unpulsed DC signal so there is no "skin effect". The current flows equally throughout the conductor.

I stand corrected. My bad.

Even so, cross section is even MORE area. So, OP, it's still OK.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
How bout that plastic made out there,the Lava Tube L-rider,it seems too work just the same as a metal mod.

View attachment 230465

1) That's not an all-mech mod
2) Even if a mech mod is plastic for some reason, it would have to have a conductor inside...so it would depend on how they designed that part of it.
3) The LT's and any non-mech e-cig has a conductor "band" or wire or tube somehow. So do plastic flashlights, etc.

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
1) That's not an all-mech mod
2) Even if a mech mod is plastic for some reason, it would have to have a conductor inside...so it would depend on how they designed that part of it.
3) The LT's and any non-mech e-cig has a conductor "band" or wire or tube somehow. So do plastic flashlights, etc.

Yup... That was my very first VV mod...
The tube body is attached to the PCB's ground. the 510 is attached to the pcb outputs with two wires. One soldered to the threaded connector piece (neg) and another soldered to the center pin (pos).

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I stand corrected. My bad.

Even so, cross section is even MORE area. So, OP, it's still OK.

No worries... Your answers are usually dead on the money, including the ones in this thread. The only reason I commented was because you made me 2nd guess myself and I had to do a quick search to verify.

Hope I didn't offend. Was not my intention.

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
You didn't offend. lol.

I am a bit surprised you didn't bring up the heat-in-a-conductor issue though. ;) And how conductivity changes with heat. And conducting electricity generates heat....... (just pulling your chain)

I was just wrong I guess. Happens.

:lol:

Lol... You give me too much credit. My guess is that if your PV is getting hot enough to change its conductivity, you need to put it down and move away...

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
The OP has been answered 5 times by 5 people....so no debate. :)

The other thing to discuss is on-going maintenance. Your sanding of the contacts removed a layer of oxides. Same with using the pen...the new surface isn't oxidized and the underside bonded chemically.

So the other thing to point out is that oxides build up over time naturally and they reduce conductivity. Cleaning the contacts/sanding them or coating them with a pen helps increase conductivity. But I'll be curious to see if it doesn't build back up over time even on the sanded contacts without further sanding.

That's why gold is use to plate/tin the contacts on pcb's and such. It doesn't tarnish easily.

IDK if I was using a mech...if I'd sand the contacts, or just clean them...assuming they were already silver or gold (maybe brass too).

The oxidation layer can be an atom thick...and invisible.

Do you gently sand the battery contacts too?

:2c:

Last edited:

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
The OP has been answered 5 times by 5 people....so no debate. :)

The other thing to discuss is on-going maintenance. Your sanding of the contacts removed a layer of oxides. Same with using the pen...the new surface isn't oxidized and the underside bonded chemically.

So the other thing to point out is that oxides build up over time naturally and they reduce conductivity. Cleaning the contacts/sanding them or coating them with a pen helps increase conductivity. But I'll be curious to see if it doesn't build back up over time even on the sanded contacts without further sanding.

That's why gold is use to plate/tin the contacts on pcb's and such. It doesn't tarnish easily.

IDK if I was using a mech...if I'd sand the contacts, or just clean them...assuming they were already silver or gold (maybe brass too).

The oxidation layer can be an atom thick...and invisible.

Do you gently sand the battery contacts too?

:2c:

No, the first time I have even considered improving conductivity of my battery contacts was after seeing Jimi's post.

Couple mods w/ Rhodium, Silver on the Poldiac, couple w/ Brass contacts. Pro-Grade for brass, soft cloth for precious metals, Noalox'ed threads, ect. ect. I take care of my mods:D I don't think sanding contacts on a mod would be anything I would want to do unless it's MIC (made in China).

But I think what I was really impressed with was the fact that I had never considered my battery contacts... Just kinda figured it was what it was.

Yeah the pen does contain polymers.. But I wish I could find mine, dying to try it.

Anything that will push more V'z to my Coils'z is :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

newconvert

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Colorado
The tube is just a container for the switch and battery, and should have no effect on conductivity. As long as they both have the brass springs and switch, get the one that looks better to your eyes :vapor:

especially in the mech modz, the body is part of the negative connection, although the contact points are the main connection the body is in the circuit of the mod, so it will have an effect on resistance.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
especially in the mech modz, the body is part of the negative connection, although the contact points are the main connection the body is in the circuit of the mod, so it will have an effect on resistance.

The point of all the other posts is....no not really. lol. Not one material type more than any other. (for the OP's purposes).

Look. The cross sectional area of the metal mod's body is sufficient to conduct plenty of current regardless of differing types of metal (within reason).

Although you can probably find minute differences or weird materials, it's mostly valid to say "focus in the contacts and threads, not the type of metal for the tube".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread