Status
Not open for further replies.

Swede

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2011
Canada
Another vote for the VTR here...

Tough and heavy, tank is well protected unlike on the top mount mods. If you take some time and remove or grind the ring out, you can fit any 22mm rba in there too.

It fits the hand well too, takes a bit of getting used to but it works great. A REO would be smaller from what I've seen, but I don't own one (yet?)

Attachments

• 2014-09-11 23.33.04.jpg
    2014-09-11 23.33.04.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 2014-09-11 23.31.38.jpg
    2014-09-11 23.31.38.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 6

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Another vote for a metal Reo - indestructible in work environments. Drop it, run it over, throw it at a co-worker - it might get scratched but you won't hurt it. The liquid feed is internal - one less thing to break or break off. Easy? - use it with stock attys or cartos. Cheap? - Learn to build on the single coil RM2 atty. Since the feed holds up to 6 ml's that can get most peole through even a 12 hour work day without refilling. His extra parts would be reduced to bringing a spare battery and maybe an extra carto or atty for insurance. The form factor is about the l x w dimensions of a business card - very pocket friendly. No electronics to get trashed. And even then - only about one of three devices in the market that can actually be repaired if ever needed.

A Reo isn't cheap - but you only buy it once. Outside worst case? He didn't like it and you resold it in the classifieds for about 90% of what you paid for it - they hold their value.

shatteredsoul76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 23, 2014
    Portland, TN, USA
    My job is very physical in an auto parts warehouse unloading trucks by hand 10 hours a day, I have to keep my mod on me at all times to use on my breaks as well as to keep it from being stolen. My all day workhorse is a Provari with a Kayfun clone on top of it, in 18650 mode it easily last me all day. They are a bit pricey but they just work and work well. An MVP 2 is also a nice mod for the price and the Istick by eleaf is quickly becoming popular due to its really small size and price.

Its a great time right now in the vaping world with several great products out and new ones being released all the time. I just wish I would have listened to my wife and converted over from cigs two years ago, but at least Im here now.

Jode

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 9, 2014
    Seabrook, NH, USA
    Wow, A lot to take in and consider. This does help a great deal though because I wasn't even considering some of these. This is what I think might be the best path since I know my man.....haha. I do like the idea of a mod/RDA for durability but hadn't considered it due to him being really really new and not terribly electronically inclined. Buidling would be out for a bit and only frustrate him but who knows if he gets into this. That said I think the best bang for the buck with no learning curve really and maybe the best durability with those other two options would be to let him use my MVP2 with an aero tank with sleeve to see if it works. I have other set ups I can use while he gives it a whirl. This way he will know within a few weeks if this is (vaping) something that will stick. Then I will sit with him and go through what he liked about MVP and see what he needs to do. He has no idea right now what he needs and quite frankly neither do I. I too am a noob so building is a bit scary to me as well. I did like the cheapy Gripper idea but wanna see how he does with my MVP. If he breaks it at least we will know with only a $40 loss. If he gets into this like I have I know he will want to get something better then we will look at the mods that have a bigger learning curve and bigger pocket book needed, like the REO. Thank you all so much for your thoughts. I hadn't considered my MVP until reading all these. Yay, we have a start

Jode

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 9, 2014
    Seabrook, NH, USA
    MVP is nice but the tank sits on top and sticks out of a pocket. The Reo Grand is compact and sturdy but there is a learning curve (gotta make a coil and wick it properly). The VTR is stout and with a short drip tip fits in a pocket unseen out of harms way.

Thanks. I agree that the REO is probably the best answer but I wouldn't be able to set him up at all because I still am so bewildered by the whole coil building thing and weary about battery safety. Maybe later. The VTR would prob be better because it is lower profile but the expense to get one where I don't even know if the whole vaping thing will stick yet with him is not money I am rdy to part with yet. I know I would use it but also don't really need it and groceries are important too. Hahaha. Can't be spending all my money on vape gear. I could easily ya know. I will see how he does with MVP2 (since I already have one) and then go over his options with him when and if he shows a need. Geeeeeez, why oh why is there so many cool, pretty, awesome options. I never got into shoes, purses or jewelry but I finally understand these women that do now. I want to spend spend spend on vape gear. It's a real problem hahaha.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    The Gripper isn't terribly well made. But, it's cute and fairly useful. It's also on sale at MadVapes for just $8. Just make sure to buy the Gripper 510 extension for $4 more to make the Gripper a little more versatile. I have one, and it's adorable (but fragile).

The VTR is pretty cool and well made. Just make sure to go to a B&M to actually hold it first to make sure the size and weight isn't a problem. And, make sure to take along whatever topper you want to use with it to make sure it fits in the ring. It does come with an extension. But, it looks ridiculous with it.

The Reo is a bit expensive if you're not even sure you'll really be using it. However, it does not require an RBA just because it's a good choice to use with an RBA. It's a great choice to go with any unsealed disposable atty (like a 306 or 510). That's what it was designed for in the first place. It's been around longer than RBAs. It couldn't get any simpler than that.

I think the MVP is probably the best choice for a starter. It'll give you one hell of a bang for your buck and will make an excellent back-up once you move on.

Last edited:

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 29, 2014
    Houston, TX, USA
    The Gripper isn't terribly well made. But, it's cute and fairly useful. It's also on sale at MadVapes for just $8. Just make sure to buy the Gripper 510 extension for $4 more to make the Gripper a little more versatile. I have one, and it's adorable (but fragile).

The VTR is pretty cool and well made. Just make sure to go to a B&M to actually hold it first to make sure the size and weight isn't a problem. And, make sure to take along whatever topper you want to use with it to make sure it fits in the ring. It does come with an extension. But, it looks ridiculous with it.

The Reo is a bit expensive if you're not even sure you'll really be using it. However, it does not require an RBA just because it's a good choice to use with an RBA. It's a great choice to go with any unsealed disposable atty (like a 306 or 510). That's what it was designed for in the first place. It's been around longer than RBAs. It couldn't get any simpler than that.

I think the MVP is probably the best choice for a starter. It'll give you one hell of a bang for your buck and will make an excellent back-up once you move on.

Thanks, DH... I may still pick one up since they are on sale. Good to know what to expect on the build quality/material used though... should be worth the 8 bucks though. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread