Ego's Are Garbage (Warning to Newbs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
For clarity: "Ego" is not a brand... its a type of threading. I see some, mostly pro, mentioning the brand (Mostly Joye) favorably but those bashing Chinese products just say "Ego" which can be made by ANY company anywhere in the world but, truly, most of the cheapies are Ovale(who invented them)/Joye(who produced them for Ovale and now rebrand as their own) RIPOFFS and not dependable. But, again, what they're ripping off is the threading and, to some extent, the form factor but ... NOT the battery. Ovale/Joye has some of the best protections built into the battery that can be had... rip offs don't necessarily. "Ego threading" does NOT mean a safe battery. A little thought might be a good idea.

Edit: and to head off those who will bash Joye for ripping off Ovale, its in the contract between the two companies so they're contractually allowed to. Its a quality product whether Ovale or Joye.

Last edited:

molimelight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Columbia, MO
Burnie, thank you for that. It was mesmerizing. I was almost comatose watching it over and over and over...

Oh, and to BigEgo, ditto what others have said about moderation, respect, and learning from this forum. It's always a bonus when the entertainment value is up there though. So thanks for that. ;)

Charon

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Indiana
I have two devices. A generic/rebranded eGo 900ma/h fixed voltage with an EVOD clearo, and a 14500 Mech topped with an RBA.

My ADV is in the EVOD always, it goes with me everywhere, stashed on a lanyard or sitting on my desk. It's lightweight, reliable, no fuss, no tipping, affordable and concealable if need be.

The little mech gets a very low nic juice right now and has the role of my habit vape, when I need to break up the flavor of my ADV, and what I hit when the eGo is charging. If I had to spend the $120 on hardware to get even this low end mech setup in the beginning, I'd still be trying to save enough money while smoking to be able to invest in vaping. I'd still be trying to figure out how to carry this thing around easily without spilling the tank.

Conversely, the 35$ I spent on my starter and first bottle of juice nearly paid for itself before I had to get the second bottle of juice, and it was good enough that I quit smoking instantly.

Yeah, what crap, only got me to quit day one, most horrible product ever.

filter

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
California
For clarity: "Ego" is not a brand... its a type of threading. I see some, mostly pro, mentioning the brand (Mostly Joye) favorably but those bashing Chinese products just say "Ego" which can be made by ANY company anywhere in the world but, truly, most of the cheapies are Ovale(who invented them)/Joye(who produced them for Ovale and now rebrand as their own) RIPOFFS and not dependable. But, again, what they're ripping off is the threading and, to some extent, the form factor but ... NOT the battery. Ovale/Joye has some of the best protections built into the battery that can be had... rip offs don't necessarily. "Ego threading" does NOT mean a safe battery. A little thought might be a good idea.

Edit: and to head off those who will bash Joye for ripping off Ovale, its in the contract between the two companies so they're contractually allowed to. Its a quality product whether Ovale or Joye.

ovale was forced to allow joye to rebrand their products as joye because they had two options once they had contracted joye to mfg them 1) say no you make not make joye branded products, we're taking our biz elsewhere. joye still makes them and has a 6 month headstart or 2) agreed to allow them to make joye branded products and continue to work with them. joye doesn't as aggressively call your genuine product a knockoff and only gets a 1 month headstart knocking them off.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Did Janty Make/Release the 1st eGo?

Janty eGo

The eGo is widely regarded as the best performing electronic cigarette in the world. Developed and released by Janty in 2009, the Janty eGo revolutionized the industry with the introduction of a long-lasting 650 mah battery in a compact and elegant design. Before the eGo, the typical e-cigarette would last between 1 to 3 hours on a charge, while the eGo lasts about a day before it needs recharging.

Janty eGo Series

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Thank you for all of your support, friends. I am glad that I got to express my hatred for all things "Ego." Yes, I am aware that Joytech (or Ovale) were the "original" makers of the "Ego." When I say "Ego" I mean any battery that fits that form factor, has the same button and the same threading. I think that's what most people refer to when they say "ego." I have a lot more to say, but I will refrain as I don't want to write another essay.

Instead, I am going to tell newbs what I would do if I were starting from day one *and* were on a budget.

1) Buy an Innokin battery. They can be had for ~$50 depending on the model. You can choose between a "box" style mod (the MVP) or a VV/VW "ego style" mod known simply as the "iTaste VV/VW." Either these batteries is the way to go for someone brand new, imo. The MVP (box style) will probably cost you around $60-$70. The smaller, ego-style battery will cost $30ish. You will probably get more battery life out of the MVP, though.

2) Get a protank. A mini can be had for $12 and a full size can be had for under $20. If you want the latest, buy the Aero Tank (also made by Kanger), but it will cost $30-$40 depending on where you get it.

3) For backup tanks, buy a few SMOK ARO tanks. They are basically knock-offs of the EVOD, but are better because they are pyrex (unlike the EVOD which is plastic). The ARO's look good and perform well. They certainly perform better than SMOK's questionable batteries. These tanks can be had for under $10 in many places.

4) Get a sample pack of juice from a good, reputable vendor, that performs quality control. Halo or MBV for instance (there are others, of course). Basically anyone like that who serves a lot of people and has a good reputation. Don't trust guys in their basements.

Do these things, oh dear newbies, and save yourselves a lot of headaches. If you spend $15 on an EGO battery, it won't last and will be underpowered even when it does work. You can go VV/VW from the start and get a battery with better power, a decent life, and better quality.

planes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
MA
Wow! I purchased an EVOD twist for $25 and a PT mini for 15 from a shop and was blown away. Just sold it for a deal to someone to help them start out and they are happy as hell with it too. I've moved on to the MVP Vamo and Nemi clone but will probably pick up a clone from FT just to have it around. Always hit great and easy to travel with. I would never try to talk someone out of it.

Legolas

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
In the slower lower ... Delaware
Thank you for all of your support, friends. I am glad that I got to express my hatred for all things "Ego." Yes, I am aware that Joytech (or Ovale) were the "original" makers of the "Ego." When I say "Ego" I mean any battery that fits that form factor, has the same button and the same threading. I think that's what most people refer to when they say "ego." I have a lot more to say, but I will refrain as I don't want to write another essay.

Instead, I am going to tell newbs what I would do if I were starting from day one *and* were on a budget.

1) Buy an Innokin battery. They can be had for ~$50 depending on the model. You can choose between a "box" style mod (the MVP) or a VV/VW "ego style" mod known simply as the "iTaste VV/VW." Either these batteries is the way to go for someone brand new, imo. The MVP (box style) will probably cost you around $60-$70. The smaller, ego-style battery will cost $30ish. You will probably get more battery life out of the MVP, though.

2) Get a protank. A mini can be had for $12 and a full size can be had for under $20. If you want the latest, buy the Aero Tank (also made by Kanger), but it will cost $30-$40 depending on where you get it.

3) For backup tanks, buy a few SMOK ARO tanks. They are basically knock-offs of the EVOD, but are better because they are pyrex (unlike the EVOD which is plastic). The ARO's look good and perform well. They certainly perform better than SMOK's questionable batteries. These tanks can be had for under $10 in many places.

4) Get a sample pack of juice from a good, reputable vendor, that performs quality control. Halo or MBV for instance (there are others, of course). Basically anyone like that who serves a lot of people and has a good reputation. Don't trust guys in their basements.

Do these things, oh dear newbies, and save yourselves a lot of headaches. If you spend $15 on an EGO battery, it won't last and will be underpowered even when it does work. You can go VV/VW from the start and get a battery with better power, a decent life, and better quality.

That's the spirit. There is some good stuff in there too. Congrats and Welcome to the forums. :toast:

lvm111

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Mine are still going strong after six months. They're genuine Joyteck ego-c's. I'd agree there are some cheap junk knockoffs sold at gas stations and cigarette smokeshops. But that doesn't mean you can slam the whole category of ego-c type batteries. IMO the OP is way off base.

BTW, I also use two Provaris, a VTR, a coolfire 1, a 134, a Vamo 3, an SVD, and several assorted APV's/mechs. I have dozens of various tanks, a tackle box full of vaping gear and supplies, a tackle box full of juices from the most popular venders, I make my own juice on a nice balance, and I've spent countless hours here on the ecig forum reading and researching. For those reasons, I believe my opinion of at least genuine Joyte ck ego-c's is more qualified than the OP's. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend to new vapers to start off with Joyteck ego-c's and some innokin iclear 16's, the best clearamizers (by far) for ego c's IMO.

best regards, larry mac

Last edited:

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW

Vast improvement in writing style, thank you.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Good Deal BigEgo.

Better to Point Out Positive things to Newbies. Than to Slam an Entire Product Line based on a Couple of Personal Bad Experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread