Finally told my Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

llcooljunr

Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
United States
I think they would change their tone if there was more information available outside of the internet forums. Being in healthcare myself, my sources of info on ecigs didn't come from doctors, who are prescribing nicotine patches as a way to curb smoking, but from my friends who picked up provaris and quit smoking themselves. The more info that gets out there, and the more they see people vaping, I'm sure they will change their minds.

Dontae92

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Long Beach, CA
hmm...i suggest you to keep trying to get your dad to switch. no one yet really knows from substantial evidence the long-term health affects of an e-cig, but we can all be assured it's a better alternative to the tobacco industry lol.
I will since I have 3 ego batteries and hes smoking 1 PAD.

jazon1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2012
Phoenix,AZ
try to find a juice he will really like before talking him into trying it,and dont say he should stop smoking and switch(that will happen on its own) it seems to make some people afraid to try them and makes them think your trying to make them quit and they are going to be miserable. so just get him to take a few puffs and leave one with him and treat it like its no big deal and tell him he can use it in places he cant smoke, i got a few people to switch just by letting them use one when they were in doors and it was cold out and they didnt want to go out to smoke.

I wonder what her reaction would have been had you been taking the patch instead of vaping. Is it the nicotine or the puff of a cloud out of one's mouth that bothers her? I'm sure she smells the difference in you lately though. She'll come around just like she accepted the fact you started smoking in the first place I think.

Dontae92

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Long Beach, CA
I wonder what her reaction would have been had you been taking the patch instead of vaping. Is it the nicotine or the puff of a cloud out of one's mouth that bothers her? I'm sure she smells the difference in you lately though. She'll come around just like she accepted the fact you started smoking in the first place I think.
Funny that you say that since she asked me why I didn't just buy the gum. So the cloud of vapor is probably what bothers her the most.

starr1349

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2012
Alaska
My mom was the one who got me started on vaping, go figure. As far as vaping for the rich, LOL!!! Smokes here are $9.69 a pack here, and I was a pad type of person. Now, I spend maybe a buck a day on juice.
I'm sorry your mom feels that way. I know it is tough to admit your kid is doing anything, but in my opinion anything they are trying to do to increase the quality of their lives is a win in my book.
My husband recently made a comment about my vaping, and I shut that one up real quick like.
Number one, there are fewer ingredients in my "vape" than in the otc asthma inhaler he uses.
Number two my x rays have shown a vast improvement in my lung capacity.
I don't consider nicotine any more of a drug than caffeine. I "vape" less nicotine a day than I ever smoked.
While your mom may not like your current choice, it is a hell of a lot better than the smokes. The nicotine gum tastes like crap, the patch sucks and the dam pills make you crazy, so far I haven't heard of anyone going crazy vaping.

I started smoking when I was very very young, I have spent more years of my life smoking than anything else. Vaping has been the one thing that actually got me off the smokes. I don't crave a smoke like I did on the gum or whatever.
Your mom doesn't like the vaping because she doesn't understand it and can't control it either. Nicotine gum used to be script only, and it does not have a great success rate. Parents dont' want to admit that their kids are capable of making their own choices, and want their children to choose what they choose and that isn't always the case.
I say congrats on the vaping and getting away from the smokes. Good luck on your journey!

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
She asked what the empty packs were, she even called vaping "Smoking for Rich People". For an educated RN, I am disappointed in the way she reacted. I shouldn't of had my hopes up, but after my father's reaction, I expected her to not be so put off by it. She hasn't wanted to talk to me after I told her earlier today. I guess I'll try to talk to her later.

"Smoking for rich people"?

Does she get that over the long term, vaping is considerably LESS expensive than cigarettes, not even including the reduced health care costs of not smoking?

That is a very classist thing to say. Let me guess, your mother is a Democrat, right? ;-) Sounds like she's bought into the whole "class warfare" meme.

Kind of like the older generation of inner city African-Americans who see educated kids as being "uppity". Does she understand how bigoted such a statement sounds?

I am on a relatively limited income--I only work part-time, and I'm a "craftsman" so I'm not making big bucks by any measure. And yet, vaping has saved me hundreds of dollars over the last 5 months...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread