Have you had people wonder "What's the point of quitting smoking when you're vaping?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

1awesomelawson

Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
SC
As a new vaper, about a month in now with a few "slips" to a couple of analogs (I'm thinking 8 total?), I haven't really made that leap to consider myself a nonsmoker. I rationalize it in my head that yes, you are NOT smoking. I KNOW it's vapor. But I still have the same feelings with regard to the addiction to nicotine itself. I hate that I can't just walk away from it like I feel I should be able to. I look down at the ecig still and ponder the oddity I see in it. But. I'm not going to stop because I occasionally feel weird about it. I'm also not ready to tell a whole lot of people that I've officially quit smoking.

Really, I think my head just needs more time to wrap around the concept and fully identify the change. I'll get there no doubt, but right now, I sympathize with the "awkward" place that some still feel to be in with the ecigs. If nothing else, we just need to remember it's a process and to enjoy the things we liked about smoking without all the negatives that went along with it. Baby steps and smiles :)

I am speaking strictly for myself here so please don't take offense. I am not judging anyone else's preferences (I have a couple of other vices as well), so please don't judge my own personal assessment of what is bugging me.

I was a heavy smoker for many, many years and wanted to finally quit analogs for a lot of reasons. Patches and pills did not work for me and luckily I stumbled upon vaping. While it is a much safer alternative for delivering nicotine, I am still delivering nicotine, I am still addicted to nicotine, and I am still addicted to the 'hand to mouth' habit that I can't seem to break. I have built up an arsenal of many different PV devices, tanks, clearos, cartos, and juices. I do not find any of them nearly as satisfying as an analog at all, but they will do for now in keeping me off of analogs.

What I don't like in myself is that I am still 'smoking' in the sense that I haven't kicked the 'hand to mouth' habit and nicotine cravings. I am down to 1.1% (from 2.4%) and just find myself vaping more. Honestly I feel a little silly sucking on phallic looking metal tubes and trying to convince myself that it's okay and cool because at least I'm not smoking deadly analogs. I find myself blessed to have stumbled upon vaping as it has gotten me off of analogs, but in reality I have just substituted one habit for another. Yes, it is fun to research new things on the market, build my own coils, optimize my vapor production and taste, trying new juices, etc.; but ideally I just need to stop the act of 'smoking' once and for all (that and to quit biting my nails down to nothing). I am slowly working towards that goal, but I wish it would happen a little quicker than what reality is becoming.

I am putting on my flame suit now because I am sure that this will not be a popular opinion on an e-cig forum, but it is what it is and is just how I honestly feel about myself, my addiction and my addictive personality in general (and nobody else's lifestyle choices). I still have other vices that I need to address, but I have to start somewhere. I am not planning on quitting immediately, but I have to start some sort of game plan to quit this habit/hobby. Honestly, I can't believe that I am even opening up this much on a forum, but I feel that I have read enough of every bodies posts over the past months and interacted with some of you to the point that I feel comfortable enough to share these feelings/thoughts that I have about myself.

Wow, that was a cathartic experience and hopefully I will gain some resolve from this, but for now I think will have a vape. :)

I would put vaping at the bottom of your list of vices that you need to address. Like you said, it is fun and I would argue that it is also safe. If nicotine wasn’t safe, then you would not be able to purchase nicotine patches or gum because medical products need to be “safe and effective” in order to get approval from the FDA. I’d say it’s just as bad an addiction as drinking coffee, soda, or energy drinks.

There are tons of worse behaviors. For example

Being 10 pounds overweight.
Not exercising.
Texting, putting on makeup, reaching for something in the backseat, driving after even having one drink, doing anything other than two hands on the wheel with full attention on the road while driving.
Eating fast food.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t have quitting vaping as a goal if you want, but make sure you have the right priority.

aussiedog61

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2013
Southern California
I would put vaping at the bottom of your list of vices that you need to address. Like you said, it is fun and I would argue that it is also safe. If nicotine wasn’t safe, then you would not be able to purchase nicotine patches or gum because medical products need to be “safe and effective” in order to get approval from the FDA. I’d say it’s just as bad an addiction as drinking coffee, soda, or energy drinks.

There are tons of worse behaviors. For example

Being 10 pounds overweight.
Not exercising.
Texting, putting on makeup, reaching for something in the backseat, driving after even having one drink, doing anything other than two hands on the wheel with full attention on the road while driving.
Eating fast food.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t have quitting vaping as a goal if you want, but make sure you have the right priority.

I think you missed the gist of what I wrote. A person with an addictive personality does not need justifications on why he/she should continue with any addiction/behavior. I also don't share your views on nicotine being 'safe and effective'. I know full well what I am ingesting and its consequences (as I did with cigarettes and anything else), but continue to do it anyways.

I think I have my priorities straight and will continue to keep it at the top of my list, but thank you for your input.

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I'm good with all that, aussiedog. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not still the little boy pretending to smoke with candy cigarettes and a rubber cigar that blows "smoke". The only difference is the nicotine, and this is a better way to get it. No health issues I'm aware of, doesn't stain the walls or teeth, and darned if I've been able to start a fire.

Let's just stipulate it is an addiction. So what? It's legal, safe, and nearly harmless.

Ryan1888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
Glasgow
It used to bother me when people would make the assumption that I was "still smoking". The majority of the time I don't even try to convince them anymore. I simply let them know that it is an alternate method that ex smokers use to stay off of the real thing and:

A) Save a tremendous amount of money (Us here on ECF know that vaping can turn into an expensive hobby though! :p)
B) Save our lives as juice doesn't contain the 4000 chemicals which tobacco cigarettes have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread