Hello from Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

nesf

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Cork, Ireland
Hey guys, my name is Pádraig and I come from Cork in Ireland. I'm very new to vaping but I've found it a superb replacement for analogue cigarettes. I recently received my 510 and have found 26mg juice to hit the spot perfectly.

I suppose the complicated part for me was that I'm a bipolar sufferer. You may or may not know that an absurdly high % of schizophrenics and bipolar sufferers smoke. It's debated as to why this is so but nicotine seems to have some beneficial effects for us (an anti-psychotic effect from what I've read but this is disputed). This made quitting smoking normally very very difficult for me. No nicotine makes me twitchy and anxious and I usually only last till my next depressive or manic cycle before I'm forced back to smoking. I'm very optimistic about vaping because it keeps nicotine levels high and allows for the kind of chain vaping that comes with anxious periods and similar. Only time will tell though.

MiloB

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Los Angeles, California
Welcome Padraig,

Now that you have your 510 and your nic level, you might want to try to DIY to save money on the cost. But first I wold suggest trying a few other flavors so even if you have some experimentation time and a learning curve, you'll always have some god stuff on hand to get your fix. The biggest concern most new vapers don't understand until they get caught without is that you want to make sure you have back ups...

That means extra juice, extra 510 atomizers, extra carts or stuffing, extra batteries and even an extra device to go to if and when the other fails. That way you are better prepared so you don't go back to analog cigarettes. Plus you'll have a lot more fun. If you like the 510, you should check out the EGO (a 510 on steroids) or the Screwdriver which Trog makes in London. Just google those or search for those on the forum and you can find it. If you go through Trog, who makes the screwdrivers, then you can get them in a 510 fitting and you will be able to use your 510 gear. Same applies with the EGO.

Best of luck and happy vaping,

MiloB

daisyd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Az
Let us all know how that goes. I have a very dear friend ho is bi-polar and quit smoking a few weeks ago. He went cold turkey and still really misses it. I'll definately be recomending e-cigs to him if he relapses. The nicotine as self-medication is very interesting. It makes perfect sense to me. I'll have to ask my friend about that, since he works in mental health.

nesf

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Cork, Ireland
Welcome Padraig,

Now that you have your 510 and your nic level, you might want to try to DIY to save money on the cost. But first I wold suggest trying a few other flavors so even if you have some experimentation time and a learning curve, you'll always have some god stuff on hand to get your fix. The biggest concern most new vapers don't understand until they get caught without is that you want to make sure you have back ups...

That means extra juice, extra 510 atomizers, extra carts or stuffing, extra batteries and even an extra device to go to if and when the other fails. That way you are better prepared so you don't go back to analog cigarettes. Plus you'll have a lot more fun. If you like the 510, you should check out the EGO (a 510 on steroids) or the Screwdriver which Trog makes in London. Just google those or search for those on the forum and you can find it. If you go through Trog, who makes the screwdrivers, then you can get them in a 510 fitting and you will be able to use your 510 gear. Same applies with the EGO.

Best of luck and happy vaping,

MiloB

Have already ordered an Ego, a bunch of extra attys and carts and few different flavours of juice for me to try (although honestly my tastebuds are so ....ed from smoking that I can barely taste anything at the moment but this will change). Having been a heavy smoker for 10 years I'm very used to being prepared with back-ups so it's not as big change in mindset to be prepared for failures in equipment, it's just batteries and atomisers instead of an extra pack or two of cigarettes and a spare lighter.

nesf

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Cork, Ireland
Keep an eye on yourself. Smoking seems to have an effect on Dopamine Receptors.
Glad to see you here. Do not push the change all at once and be sure to let your doctor know what you are doing!

I'm definitely pacing myself in this and keeping an eye on things. My wife's keeping an eye on me too, so I should be fine. My doctor will find out at our next appointment, if this works for me he might even start recommending them to his other patients... ;)

nesf

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Cork, Ireland
Welcome to ECF, Padraig! You might find the Health forum of intrest, I've read a thread or two there about people with bi-polar or depression using e-cigs. Might have been within some threads, it's a vague memory. I tend to suffer from CRS, can't remember s....tuff.

Did a search and found a few threads. Cheers for the tip!

Actually are there any forum rules/norms on bumping old threads? I'd like to restart some of the discussions about mental health and e-cigs but I'm unsure whether it's ok to bump up a 4-6 month old thread to do so? Many of the forums I'm on take a very dim view of bumping up old threads like that.

nesf

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Cork, Ireland
Rather than bumping an old one, I'd just start a new one. You can bump an old one if you want, but you might get a moderator coming in and saying, "Holy thread resurrection, Batman!" or something like that. :D

Yeah, I've been a mod on Ireland's main bulletin board site for so many years that bumping makes me twitch a bit... :p

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
Bumping old threads are a good thing. It brings to life what others are looking for and gives us updates on newer feelings and thoughts while looking back. Kind of like looking at ones journal and watching the changes in life as they happen. I say BUMP it.
Starting new threads on a subject that is already out there just gets the threads lost into never never land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread