help please number 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech9689

Feb 27, 2014
Midland, MI, USA
I have made a few bottles of juice now. My problem is the flavor and consistency are not right.

I have 50/50 pg/vg 36mg nicotine base
0mg vg for dilution and my flavors. I am aiming for 24mg juice

I have experimented with 15% to 25% for flavoring and i cant get the flavors to come out to what i think they should taste like
They all kinda just taste bad with small hints of the flavor.

I have used hot water to steep them all.

The other issue is the juices are pretty thick. What im wondering here is instead of diluting with vg should i dilute with water? The reason i was diluting with vg is because i was trying to.produce a bigger cloud.

Any help on these would be greatly appreciated.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
The type of flavoring does make a difference.
Also, it sounds like you are using too much. Less goes a long way on making a flavor.
Try starting at 2% flavoring and working up until you find your perfect taste.

I make several flavors using only 2% and they are great.

For some folks, it seems VG holds the flavor back. PG = Flavor VG = Vapor

Can't really say about your "cloud" issues. 50/50 pg/vg should produce some nice ones. You may want to look at your coil system setup instead.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Don't throw them out. Just add PG/VG to bring the percentage down to, I would say, at least 5%... steep... taste and then, if you like them, add nic which will dilute them a bit more but should be fine. Remember that "flavoring" means it has an effect on taste buds... too much and it numbs them or something to where they can't taste it.

Last edited:

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I've never diluted with distilled water over 10% but I see vendors offering, and have read here, 30% with the rest VG. When I say 10% I'm not restricting that to only adding to VG. I've added that much to PG also. I like DW in my vape because it cuts the harshness especially on my nose membranes... never get a burn or tingle nose exhaling when its in the juice.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I have made a few bottles of juice now. My problem is the flavor and consistency are not right.

A common thing for a new mixer.

I have 50/50 pg/vg 36mg nicotine base
0mg vg for dilution and my flavors. I am aiming for 24mg juice

Not a lot of room to work there. If you were using a weak flavoring and needed 25% flavoring, you'd be at 27mg/ml before any plain VG was added. If you're using a strong flavoring, you'll have a high VG content.

I have experimented with 15% to 25% for flavoring and i cant get the flavors to come out to what i think they should taste like
They all kinda just taste bad with small hints of the flavor.

My recipes range from 0.35% to 35% total flavoring. The flavoring levels vary based mostly on the exact flavoring used. So 15-25% flavoring is like saying, "standard window" as there is no standard in window sizes and there is no standard on flavoring % that works so generically.

Another thing is if they all taste bad, did you taste test all the components to make sure the bad taste in all of them isn't from some wonky base?

I have used hot water to steep them all.

What did they taste like before steeping? How did you know they needed steeping?

The other issue is the juices are pretty thick. What im wondering here is instead of diluting with vg should i dilute with water? The reason i was diluting with vg is because i was trying to.produce a bigger cloud.

Any help on these would be greatly appreciated.

If you just want clouds then going straight VG with some water dilution is fine. There may be a balancing act for clouds and flavor, which is more important and which do you want to work on first?

I have a blog on flavoring levels, it can tell you how to tell the difference between too much flavoring. Oddly they can taste exactly the same way so knowing how to tell the difference can eliminate a bunch of frustration.

Tech9689

Feb 27, 2014
Midland, MI, USA
Well i would like to work on flavor first. I dont wanna vape something that tastes horrid. But at the same time i dont feel like im getting a decent hit if i dont produce a decent cloud.

They all tasted bad before steeping. After steeping menthol came out good and redbull came out good.. strawberry kiwi and the 2 apple flavors red and green both all taste horrible still.
i cut the 3 each with 1ml of 50/50 36mg and .5ml of distilled water

I am re steeping those right now. If u have any other suggestions on how to fix them i am completely open to them. Also where can i find your blog. I would love to read it

Tech9689

Feb 27, 2014
Midland, MI, USA
I think my problem is my flavors i have are very weak. Cutting the flavor down by adding more pg/vg made them taste worse.. it tastes like im vaping dirty water.. i will be placing an order from wizardlabs for some flavors from there soon. I am going to try and add more flavor. 1% at a time until it tastes right i suppose.. before i do that is it possible the taste im getting is coming from possibly un-pure pg/vg base?

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
.. before i do that is it possible the taste im getting is coming from possibly un-pure pg/vg base?

Yep, that's possible and it's happened before.

Even us old time mixers sometimes forget to taste test our new batches of base before we start mixing. Unlike a new mixer though, we know something is wrong with the base when a tried-and-true recipe doesn't turn out right... Always vape your base. (All your base belong to us....is the first thing that came to my head when I typed that...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread