How to quit vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moseng

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
I started with the intent to quit smoking and haven't had a smoke in over a month now. My next step is to quit vaping although it won't be for awhile. I realize there are people who have no intention of quitting but for those of us planning to I am wondering what tips or strategies you all might have to kick the vaping habit?

The thought of living without vaping is a little scary, just as scary as the past thoughts of living without smoking. I haven't had an analog since January 24, 2010, and the fear of quitting smoking is long gone. Now, it is a matter of overcoming the fear of quitting vaping. I think quitting vaping will be easier than quitting smoking (although quitting smoking wasn't hard at all thanks to the e-cigarette.)

I don't have to go outside for "vaping breaks" like I did with cigarettes. I can go an entire day without a vape if necessary, hardly a possibility with smoking cigarettes. Things just seem a little more doable with vaping in regard to quitting altogether. Also, relapse is not half as devastating on the e-cigarette. It is far more demoralizing to relapse with cigarettes than with vaping.

If I were to quit vaping (which I plan on doing sometime in the foreseeable future, I would probably buy several bottles of eliquid in varying nic strengths. In my case, start with 18mg, then drop to 12mg when the 18mg bottle is finished, then drop to 8mg when the 12mg bottle is finished, then to 4mg, then to 0mg. Maybe vape 0mg for a month, or at least have it on hand just to ease the oral fixation. That's the plan at least, we'll see. Best of luck to you!

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
First step being to cut down the nic level you're using. Some people seem to be able to do that pretty easily while others take longer to accomplish that. Many start by using different nic levels at different times of their day. We're all so different that there isn't one way for all of us. I've read where for some people after making it to a 0nic level they still continue to vape for a quite a while and others give up vaping fairly soon after getting to 0nic. So far I've made it from 20mg nic to using 6-8 mg nic most of the time with only occasionally using some 12 mg. I'm soon going to start introducing some 0nic vaping into the evening when I find myself chain vaping while on the computer. Not sure how that will go, but while I'd like to get to all 0nic someday and someday even later give up vaping I'm not rushing the process and plan to just take it one step at a time and see where it leads me.

moseng

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Thanks everyone. Agreed that cutting out the nic is the first step. The part that I think will be the most difficult for me is the action of smoking - vaping! I have quit smoking several times ranging from 1 month to 5 years. Each time one thing stayed the same and that was I still wanted a cigarette. Even after 5 years I still wanted a smoke! The nicotine addiction was long gone but the desire was still there. I do know that vaping is still an addiction and I want to beat it. I don't know if I can "quit forever" but like SeanFromIthaca mentioned if I slip, then vaping is certainly better than smoking!

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
My thoughts are that after giving up nic completely I will need to continue to vape for a while but will need to condition myself to vape less and less over time to the point that hopefully after a while it will rarely be needed. For me, the key will be to not rush the process and just let myself come to that point as naturally as possible. There's no doubt in my mind that I will always at times want a smoke so I hope to have enough hardward available to use it to vape IF I find after I've given it all up, that I need to do some vaping once in a while just to be sure I don't light that cigarette and start the process all over again. I have no problem with the thought that I might need to vape a few times a year for a lot of years in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread