I can't taste vapor (vaper's tongue?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Zoldyck

Apr 10, 2017
Hi all.
I've been vaping for a month, and I'm having a difficulty in tasting vapor.

I have 2 tanks, which are Digiflavor Pharaoh RTA and GeekVape Medusa RDTA.

On my pharaoh, I'm barely can taste the vapor. I can smell it, but not really taste it.
On my medusa, I can taste but only because the medusa is very prone to slight spitback, therefore I think what I'm tasting is the slight spitback from my liquid.

Since I'm pretty new to vaping, I want to ask how you really taste a vapor?
1. Can you really feel the taste in your tongue?, or
2. The taste just come from the smell?

At first I think I'm just getting a vaper's tongue, but since it's been going for a month I'm curious if what I felt is normal.

Please give me your view on my case, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Reactions: Cf11

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Hi all.
I've been vaping for a month, and I'm having a difficulty in tasting vapor.

I have 2 tanks, which are Digiflavor Pharaoh RTA and GeekVape Medusa RDTA.

On my pharaoh, I'm barely can taste the vapor. I can smell it, but not really taste it.
On my medusa, I can taste but only because the medusa is very prone to slight spitback, therefore I think what I'm tasting is the slight spitback from my liquid.

Since I'm pretty new to vaping, I want to ask how you really taste a vapor?
1. Can you really feel the taste in your tongue?, or
2. The taste just come from the smell?

At first I think I'm just getting a vaper's tongue, but since it's been going for a month I'm curious if what I felt is normal.

Please give me your view on my case, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Yeh I'm having kind of a similar problem.
Would be great to hear what the veterans here have to say about it.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Brushing your tongue, too, when you brush your teeth...can also help speed up better tasting abilities.

I've also found that if I eat just 1 piece of some type of cinnamon candy, it will very often help fix vapor's tongue. Others have said that something lemony helps do the same thing.

Something that several friends and I have discovered that can really cause a difference in how your eliquid tastes, or how much we can taste flavor in eliquid at all...is garlic! We've noticed that after eating certain things at Olive Garden, or eating pizza with a butter-garlic crust, or some snacks that contain garlic...that it'll really wreck our taste buds' ability for awhile.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Brushing your tongue, too, when you brush your teeth...can also help speed up better tasting abilities.

I've also found that if I eat just 1 piece of some type of cinnamon candy, it will very often help fix vapor's tongue. Others have said that something lemony helps do the same thing.
Will give it a try.
Hope it works.

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
Whats on top of your pico? I doubt 35 watts is too hot.
As long as it doesnt feel too hot, it should be fine. Upping the watts can enhance the flavor as long as you don't overdo it and move up slow. I don't know how long you've been vaping but you will see that your taste will change. Smoking changed how you taste and smell everything. Im sure there are a lot of facors. PG based liquids can carry more flavor. Maybe try a lower VG, maybe 50/50.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Well, if you've _never_ gotten much flavor from vaping that doesn't really sound like Vaper's tongue. Vaper's tongue is more a matter of vaping so much that you become habituated to it. That definitely happens to me, especially if I vape too much of the same or similar things for a while. I can go from a new juice being almost overpowering to having it feel kind of underwhelming in a day or so. One thing that helps with that is to rotate flavors- not just different juices, but juices with very different profiles. Vaping some unfloavored for a bit can also help.

But yeah, a lot of what we consider 'taste' is actually smell. Your tongue is a pretty blunt instrument (the jokes write themselves) and mainly tastes just basic flavors, like sweet, sour, etc. Most of the subtlety in flavors is actually a matter of your sense of smell, even when it seems like a 'taste.' One old trick for cleansing the palate and reviving the senses when tasting wines is to grab a bag of recently ground coffee and take a few strong whiffs of it. This works, at least temporarily, with juice, in my experience. Not the sort of thing you want to be doing a lot of while walking around though ;).

But if you've _never_ gotten much flavor from vaping you might have to look elsewhere for explanations/fixes. It could be a matter of equipment, it could be that your sense of smell/taste is somewhat dulled for some reason, or just not very acute. One thing you could try is vaping mixes with more PG in them- VG tends to blunt flavor. PG wil give you a greater throat hit, which you might like, or might not. I generally vape at lower wattages and more MTL than many, and I like throat hit, so I prefer higher PG juices a lot of the time. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread