Is there nicotine in second hand vapor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoochMan

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2011
New Jersey
I am vaping now for a couple weeks. I have 5 kids and I want to know if there are they breathing in nicotine from the second hand vapor? Now that I have started using flavors my kids tell me they smell the flavor very strong, and thats fine with me as long as they are not breathing in nicotine. I'm hoping that some how I am absorbing all of it but I just dont see how thats possible.
Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I don't vape indoors at home because the effects of ecig vapor are largely unknown because of a lack of data and/ or clinical trials and I prefer not to put my wife, who is a non smoker, in a situation that is not of her doing...she constantly nags for me to vape indoors but it's my choice and I'm steadfast in that decision. Again this prog is all very personal and I'm certainly NOT preaching that everyone follow my lead. I also find that I can now go without a vape easier and much longer than without an analog when I was smoking so it's really no big deal IMO.

wfx

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
VA
I don't vape indoors at home because the effects of Ecig vapor are largely unknown because of a lack of data and/ or clinical trials and I prefer not to put my wife, who is a non smoker, in a situation that is not of her doing...she constantly nags for me to vape indoors but it's my choice and I'm steadfast in that decision. Again this prog is all very personal and I'm certainly NOT preaching that everyone follow my lead. I also find that I can now go without a vape easier and much longer than without an analog when I was smoking so it's really no big deal IMO.

nags you to vape indoors! i knew ecigs were a 'game changer' but wow. that's amazing. i totally respect your position.

subliminalurge

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2011
Quad Cities
Probably no more then they would get from eating a potato, eggplant or other foods that contain nicotine. It's very unlikely that anyone would go through life without ingesting nicotine in some form.

The science is still pretty vague, but here's my gut feeling after researching everything I can find on the topic.

1. They're getting less nicotine than they would from eating a tomato.
2. That nicotine is much less harmful than the uranium, arsenic, Prozac, etc... in your tap water.

There really haven't been any conclusive studies done yet, but from a common sense point of view, if you're one of those people that craves something to be paranoid about, take a look at what's in your tap water. Plenty of stuff to freak out about there.

It's probably more harmful to let your kid drink a Pepsi than it is to vape in the same room....

Last edited:

subliminalurge

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2011
Quad Cities
Doesn’t there Have to be Nicotine in “Second Hand Vape”?

If I can see Vapor, Isn’t there Nicotine in it?

And since the Absorption Rate of Nicotine when Vaped isn’t 100%, otherwise we would All be Dead from Nicotine Poisoning, where else does the Nicotine Go?

If the nicotine from first-hand vaping, when we intentionally hold the thing in our lips and inhale deeply into our lungs, is so low, then where should we guess the absorption level for second hand is?

Last edited:

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Doesn’t there Have to be Nicotine in “Second Hand Vape”?

If I can see Vapor, Isn’t there Nicotine in it?

And since the Absorption Rate of Nicotine when Vaped isn’t 100%, otherwise we would All be Dead from Nicotine Poisoning, where else does the Nicotine Go?

the absorption rate in smoke is 99%

It seems reasonable to assume it's the same in Vapor.

so... 1ml @ 18mg

What? 100 drags per ml?

18mg/100 drags

0.18mg nicotine per drag...

0.18mg x 0.01 (1%)

0.0018mg per drag exhaled

seriously don't worry about it...

an eggplant has over 5x that much, per .25 pound... 0.01 mg for every 100g

Last edited:

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
With all I have watched and read about ecigs (quite a bit probably at least a few hundred hours) I would say it's probably pretty safe to vape around your children..I wouldn't do it right next to them or blow the vapor in their direction. But this is just my opinion and you have to make up your own mind about it...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
the absorption rate in smoke is 99%

It seems reasonable to assume it's the same in Vapor.

so... 1ml @ 18mg

What? 100 drags per ml?

18mg/100 drags

0.18mg nicotine per drag...

0.18mg x 0.01 (1%)

0.0018mg per drag exhaled

seriously don't worry about it...

an eggplant has over 5x that much, per .25 pound... 0.01 mg for every 100g

Where are you getting all these Numbers from?

I believe the New Zealand study found little to no nicotine in exhaled vapor. Check on the CASAA site (plus join and support CASAA). They have links to all the studies done if I am not mistaken.

Good Call wv2win.

Seems like the OP's Concerns about Exposing His/Her Kids to Nicotine is a Very Valid one.

Perhaps reading as much Published Scientific Data as possible on the subject might be more helpful.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Where are you getting all these Numbers from?

99% <-- it was posted earlier in this thread... and is a pretty well known fact.

1ml <-- good round number, close to what my tank holds

18mg <-- strength ejuice that seems most popular

100 drags per ml? <-- just a guess, thus the "?"
(mfg marketing: "10 vapes per analog", "1ml per pack" = 200 drags.... I reduced it for reality ;) )

18mg/100 drags <-- math

0.18mg nicotine per drag <-- math

0.18mg x 0.01 (1%) <-- math

0.0018mg per drag exhaled <-- math

0.01 mg for every 100g <-- wikipedia for "eggplant"

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
99% <-- it was posted earlier in this thread... and is a pretty well known fact.

1ml <-- good round number, close to what my tank holds

18mg <-- strength ejuice that seems most popular

100 drags per ml? <-- just a guess, thus the "?"
(mfg marketing: "10 vapes per analog", "1ml per pack" = 200 drags.... I reduced it for reality ;) )

18mg/100 drags <-- math

0.18mg nicotine per drag <-- math

0.18mg x 0.01 (1%) <-- math

0.0018mg per drag exhaled <-- math

0.01 mg for every 100g <-- wikipedia for "eggplant"

I'll trust you on the eggplant. Not one of my fav veggies.

This one...

"the absorption rate in smoke is 99%"

I'm confused about. Does this mean that 99% of the Nicotine in an analog is Absorbed by the Body?

And this step.

"0.18mg x 0.01 (1%)"

Is this impling a 1% Absorption rate?

Trucapri

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2011
North Carolina
I did my version of a "scientific" test when I cleaned my TV screen for the first time after only vaping in my home. AMAZING! I've never had the cloth come up so clean!!! Can't say exactly what the difference is, or is not, but since I've never exhaled anything directly on the TV, it sure proves to me the air quality in this house is much improved. . . for all.
:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread