Ithaka Clone/Fogger v2/ Russian 91%, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinonymous

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2010
Los Angeles, CA, USA
It's pretty damn hard to get a hold of a Fogger v2 and a Russian 91% so I don't know if I should just wait on one of those, or buy an Ithaka clone. I really want this kind of rba (don't know what it's called, definitely not genesis lol) but I have no idea if I should wait or just get the Ithaka clone. Any thoughts or preferences?

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
If you don't want to mess with twisting together no resistance / resistance wire, or buying ready-wires for the Ithaka clone, the Russian 91% or Fogger V2 should both be good. Personally, I would go with the Russian 91% for it's very good quality construction, and no glass tank to worry about breaking..

justinonymous

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2010
Los Angeles, CA, USA
If you don't want to mess with twisting together no resistance / resistance wire, or buying ready-wires for the Ithaka clone, the Russian 91% or Fogger V2 should both be good. Personally, I would go with the Russian 91% for it's very good quality construction, and no glass tank to worry about breaking..

Ahh yeah, I didn't know you had to use non resistance wire for the Ithaka :\. It's just that the Russian 91% is sooo hard to get a hold of now and I think the price went up from the original $60. Can't seem to find a Fogger v2 either.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Ahh yeah, I didn't know you had to use non resistance wire for the Ithaka :\. It's just that the Russian 91% is sooo hard to get a hold of now and I think the price went up from the original $60. Can't seem to find a Fogger v2 either.

If you're looking for the least expensive, the Fogger V2 should start showing up at vendors soon. The Russian 91% will be price fixed by Kebo from what I gather, and if one didn't get it from an earlier pre-order, it will be more expensive than the Fogger V2. There's also Kayfun Lite clones coming from Hcigar down the road if you can wait, and don't want to buy the original or Russian 91%..

calisun

Aug 20, 2013
CA

calisun

Aug 20, 2013
CA

Good choices, also consider Taifun GT. I am seeing a lot of good review on this item. I guess Fogger V2 is Taifun GT clone:D

justinonymous

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2010
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Good choices, also consider Taifun GT. I am seeing a lot of good review on this item. I guess Fogger V2 is Taifun GT clone:D

Yeah, I've seen the thread about the Fogger V2 (Can't really miss it :p), it's just the fact that the Fogger v2 and the Russian 91% are so hard to get a hold of, but I'll just wait it out because it'll definitely be worth it.

Also, is the Fogger v1 any good at all?

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Yeah, I've seen the thread about the Fogger V2 (Can't really miss it :p), it's just the fact that the Fogger v2 and the Russian 91% are so hard to get a hold of, but I'll just wait it out because it'll definitely be worth it.

Also, is the Fogger v1 any good at all?

Those who have gotten the V1 and got it to work say it is great...but it does require some tinkering: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/471542-fogger-taifun-clone.html

The V2 is currently in stock here for $31.95: Fogger RBA Tank (FGRRBATNK)

The V2 has an adjustable center pin, adjustable air flow, a pyrex tank, and is top fill so you can fully fill the tank.
The V1 has none of those features. Vape wise I would say due to the design they should theoretically provide a similar vaping experience if setup the same.

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Ithakas are cake to build. I was interested in the Fogger V2 but it seems there are many complaints about the o-ring, juice control, and lack of spare glass tank. Maybe version 3 will be for me. I don't know much about the Russian but I would personally not buy an RTA that does not have adjustable juice flow.

For me, Ithaka clone wins.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Ithakas are cake to build. I was interested in the Fogger V2 but it seems there are many complaints about the o-ring, juice control, and lack of spare glass tank. Maybe version 3 will be for me. I don't know much about the Russian but I would personally not buy an RTA that does not have adjustable juice flow.

For me, Ithaka clone wins.

Well the spare glass thing has been rectified: Fogger V2 Replacement Glass Tank

The juice control (just like in BCC's) is all in the build. As far as the oring that can also be remedied.

I doubt that I will ever use any device that requires spark welding two different wires together. That is just too much hassle.

Last edited:

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Well the spare glass thing has been rectified: Fogger V2 Replacement Glass Tank

The juice control (just like in BCC's) is all in the build. As far as the oring that can also be remedied.

I doubt that I will ever use any device that requires spark welding two different wires together. That is just too much hassle.

Good to hear that the V2 has spare parts available. How is juice flow part of the build? Isn't it adjustable after the build? It's the adjustments I've heard complaints about. Also, what is the fix for the o-ring?

Finally, I saw this uses mesh. Is mesh a requirement? To me, dealing with mesh appears much more difficult than touching two wires together, but spark welding isn't mandatory on the Ithaka (ready wires or twisting are options).

I would really like to know the answers to the V2 though. I am thinking about picking one up.

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
Good to hear that the V2 has spare parts available. How is juice flow part of the build? Isn't it adjustable after the build? It's the adjustments I've heard complaints about. Also, what is the fix for the o-ring?

Finally, I saw this uses mesh. Is mesh a requirement? To me, dealing with mesh appears much more difficult than touching two wires together, but spark welding isn't mandatory on the Ithaka (ready wires or twisting are options).

I would really like to know the answers to the V2 though. I am thinking about picking one up.

Check the Fogger thread again for the o-ring issue/fix. I was having a major shorting problem which I fixed using a wedged-in spare o-ring (from the included spares bag). As far as juice flow, well I think it's all in how you constuct your wick and coil. Because the juice has a relatively long distance to travel between the outer tank and the center of the coil deck, if you wrap your coils too tightly they will strangle softer wicks, like cotton or silica (by itself), which is why I think the stock setup has an oxidized hollow mesh roll with a silica string inside. The mesh, when fully oxidized, becomes quite stiff and prevents coil choking. But you certainly dont need the mesh. If you do use mesh, it is wise to fully oxidize it to keep from shorting.

I have rebuilt the Fogger v2 six times so far and the only problem I still have is proper wick speed. Now, I likely pull too hard and I certainly am guilty of excessive chain vaping, so I have added the extra step of one dry (non-battery-fired) pull before every regular pull and that seems to have mitigated the wick speed thing so far.

Scope666

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Glen Ridge, NJ
Check the Fogger thread again for the o-ring issue/fix. I was having a major shorting problem which I fixed using a wedged-in spare o-ring (from the included spares bag). As far as juice flow, well I think it's all in how you constuct your wick and coil. Because the juice has a relatively long distance to travel between the outer tank and the center of the coil deck, if you wrap your coils too tightly they will strangle softer wicks, like cotton or silica (by itself), which is why I think the stock setup has an oxidized hollow mesh roll with a silica string inside. The mesh, when fully oxidized, becomes quite stiff and prevents coil choking. But you certainly dont need the mesh. If you do use mesh, it is wise to fully oxidize it to keep from shorting.

I have rebuilt the Fogger v2 six times so far and the only problem I still have is proper wick speed. Now, I likely pull too hard and I certainly am guilty of excessive chain vaping, so I have added the extra step of one dry (non-battery-fired) pull before every regular pull and that seems to have mitigated the wick speed thing so far.

So how do you like the flavor on it, does it compare other high end Ithaka / Oddy style attys? It almost seems like a pimped out Protank to me, but thinking the larger air chamber might improve the taste.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

I highly suggest reading through THIS thread. It's a document of trial, tribulations, fixes, and various builds and build test for the Fogger V2. I am sure most if not all of your questions are answered in there.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Those who have gotten the V1 and got it to work say it is great...but it does require some tinkering: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/471542-fogger-taifun-clone.html

The V2 is currently in stock here for $31.95: Fogger RBA Tank (FGRRBATNK)

The V2 has an adjustable center pin, adjustable air flow, a pyrex tank, and is top fill so you can fully fill the tank.
The V1 has none of those features. Vape wise I would say due to the design they should theoretically provide a similar vaping experience if setup the same.

i emailed them to verify that they have the v2. the description leans toward v1, but the pics are of v2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread