Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Could be flooded, or it COULD be a dying coil.
If that's it, you just need to change out the coil/head/core - whatever it's called by your vendor.

One other note - I use pipecleaners (I cut them into four ProTank lengths, so it was like $3 for what's probably a 2-year supply) to swipe through the tube every time I fill, or on the rare occasion I get a little leaking. Like others mentioned, the summer heat is a clearomizer hassle - but I'm learning to prevent it, mostly...

tinkrrrbell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I've been in love with my protank II since I got it... and I just cleaned it tonight to switch juices and had my first leaking issue. Though, I'm getting vapor, I'm just also getting a pop or two of juice.

I'm still pretty green but I think I have a decent idea what I'm doing. I've made my mistakes. I've lost wicks. I've lost rubbers. I'm gonna pick up a new coil tomorrow BUT, I did also notice the piece that holds the coil is not screwing on as nicely as it was before. Not sure if I screwed up the coil and it's off a hair so it won't screw on correctly, if I messed up the threads... I'm just sad because I was stoked to give my new juice a good run through in my favorite toy and I've done everything in my limited knowledge and can't get it to love me.

Fortunately my evod... as per usual, is working flawlessly so just to make sure I wasn't losing my ever loving mind... I swapped that into the protank and it worked just fine... so I don't know what the heck is up with the other coil.

HDVaper

Ultra Super Senior Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
www.oktom.com
On friday I rebuilt my atty for my protank and used a 3mm wick with a couple of flavor wicks and I haven't had a leaking problem even down to 1/4 of a tank. This is my first tank since the rewicking but I will know more as time goes on. Might not be a cure all but it's working so far.

Be sure to blow out the overflow juice from either end into a tissue. I found that blowing though the drip tip was better and didn't juice up the tip. Be sure the dab the contact on the battery dry also. You'll get juice build up there that will add to the gurgling. the only thing that should be wet is the wick.

I rebuild mine exactly the same way (I use two 1mm flavor wicks) and NEVER have a problem with leaking or burning. I change out my heads every couple of days just to keep things fresh and because I have 20 or 30 rebuilt-to-my-specifications heads. I clean the used ones with hot water, dry burn them and replace the flavor wicks then put them back in my "bag 'o heads. They work on Protanks, Puritanks, and Davides equally as we'll.

This works so well for me that I just pass over any advice about removing 1 or all of the flavor wicks, flipping the silicone grommet on the post over or completely removing it, etc. I figure that as good as this works why mess with success.:D

Last edited:

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
I know i sound like a broken record here but i swear by it after tinkering, and even going so far as completely modifying pt heads to accommodate wick sizes it shouldnt.

Silica main for dry burning (Bobas will turn a coil to tar in 2 tanks at the most) and a single tiny cotton flavor wick. The size/adjustment of that flavor wick can be tuned for nearly any juice, thick or thin, in my experience.

Silicone cup reversed so cupped side faces upwards on stem.

I never have problems with dry hits, can vape a tank dry, and deal with at most a drop or two of liquid on the mod/battery every few days.

Steve803

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Deland, Fl
vapinggenius.com
I know i sound like a broken record here but i swear by it after tinkering, and even going so far as completely modifying pt heads to accommodate wick sizes it shouldnt.

Silica main for dry burning (Bobas will turn a coil to tar in 2 tanks at the most) and a single tiny cotton flavor wick. The size/adjustment of that flavor wick can be tuned for nearly any juice, thick or thin, in my experience.

Silicone cup reversed so cupped side faces upwards on stem.

I never have problems with dry hits, can vape a tank dry, and deal with at most a drop or two of liquid on the mod/battery every few days.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what Boba's are. At one point i thought it was a brand of juice but now i'm thinking it's an acronym.

What exactly does turning the silicone gasket over do for you? I looked at it and figured it helped keep the wick port from leaking by reducing the opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what Boba's are. At one point i thought it was a brand of juice but now i'm thinking it's an acronym.

What exactly does turning the silicone gasket over do for you? I looked at it and figured it helped keep the wick port from leaking by reducing the opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boba's Bounty is a 100% VG dark tobaccoish juice from Alien Visions E-Liquid, its very popular and one of my favorite juices. Being 100% VG its generally quite thick and can cause wicking problems in some set-ups, such as a stock PT head with both flavor wicks.

Turning the cup upwards still allows it to create a seal between the head and the tanks downstem, while allowing better juice flow around the wicks. (Notice how when you install the cup normally it almost touches/compresses the wicks in the head).

With cotton flavor wicks/main wick (if you choose) they will fill up any tiny gaps in the head slots while still wicking well, just dont overly twist the cotton if using cotton balls, try to just roll into a wick.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Boba's Bounty is a 100% VG dark tobaccoish juice from Alien Visions E-Liquid, its very popular and one of my favorite juices. Being 100% VG its generally quite thick and can cause wicking problems in some set-ups, such as a stock PT head with both flavor wicks.

Turning the cup upwards still allows it to create a seal between the head and the tanks downstem, while allowing better juice flow around the wicks. (Notice how when you install the cup normally it almost touches/compresses the wicks in the head).

I'm still debating that one. I know many have tried it and many swear it works. May just be a mind trick though. But whatever works for the user.
Sitting on the bottom of a pool, an umbrella won't do much good.:D

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
I'm still debating that one. I know many have tried it and many swear it works. May just be a mind trick though. But whatever works for the user.
Sitting on the bottom of a pool, an umbrella won't do much good.:D

It debatable how much it truly helps, but one thing is clear, it does slightly open up the juice area in the base, at the cost of possibly allowing a really thin juice to seep through the areas where the head's stem seats.

Its probably closer to sitting in a 55gallon drum, covered with an umbrella, in the bottom of a pool. Results will likely be the same though. LOL

Steve803

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Deland, Fl
vapinggenius.com

With cotton flavor wicks/main wick (if you choose) they will fill up any tiny gaps in the head slots while still wicking well, just dont overly twist the cotton if using cotton balls, try to just roll into a wick.

Good info, thank you. I make my juice as close to 100%VG as I can and just started recoiling with cotton wicks. I'll play around with the gasket on my PT. I was totally stoked with it when I first got it but was not real happy when I started leaking on my second refill. I thought the thicker juices would leak less but I found the 3mm cotton has helped a lot. I noticed that the cotton wicks absorb a ton more juice then the silica wicks so dry hits haven't been an issue so far.

I'll check out Alien Visions to see what they have. Alway like to try something new.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Where are you guys getting your cotton wicks from?

Various people will recommend various types/sources, personally ive always used cottonballs, but, like others, have started to play around more with Peaches and Cream Yarn too.

Others report success with cheesecloth and even some who have had luck with butchers twine.

Key thing is make sure you get 100% cotton, preferably sterile (ie i use CVS Sterile 100% Cotton Balls) or at least boil the cotton first.

tstar

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Various people will recommend various types/sources, personally ive always used cottonballs, but, like others, have started to play around more with Peaches and Cream Yarn too.

Others report success with cheesecloth and even some who have had luck with butchers twine.

Key thing is make sure you get 100% cotton, preferably sterile (ie i use CVS Sterile 100% Cotton Balls) or at least boil the cotton first.
I just don't see how you guys pull apart the cotton ball and not have it be like stringy... maybe I just have to try it?

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
I just don't see how you guys pull apart the cotton ball and not have it be like stringy... maybe I just have to try it?

Find the 'grain' aka how the cotton ball was wound.

Pull off a piece while attempting to follow the grain (really doesnt matter, but hey).

Slightly wet your fingers and begin to roll it into a a string/wick, avoid twisting it, just keep rolling it.

If you need it thinner, just grab both ends and lightly tug to stretch the fibers then roll it some more.

Once you figure out what sizes work best for your setup, and do it a few times, you can make um up in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread