Low Load is the new red ring of death: Don't Bother Trying to Disassemble a Smoktech SID to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coelispex

Mar 25, 2014
Oregon
If you have a smoktech sid and have experienced the low load message, it is likely that your ground is probably coming loose.

I disassembled mine today after realizing I was probably out the money for it and there was nobody out there who had instructions for or who thought they could really fix it (including the "experts" at 2 different local vape shops).

The issue here is the craftsmanship, not the technician trying to fix it. When you look at the SID (latest generation) from an engineering standpoint, they are designed in a way that makes them hard or impossible to repair.

If you want to disassemble yours and find out, or toy with it to see if you can fix it, try this.

Use a small screw to remove the white plastic disc on the bottom of the control section of the mod. Just screw the screw in a turn or two and then use needlenose to pull it out. It actually pops out quite easily.

Here's the tricky part about the rest of the situation. The firing pin is connected to the live wire that runs to the board by a very short red wire. You can pry the pin up with a knife, or use a very small set of pliers to pull it up, and to remove the board successfully, you have to snip the wire from the "center post" as people have referred to it in other posts I've read (live pin) in order to pull the board from the body. Once you pull the board out, you will likely notice that the ground (the black wire) that comes out of the board was shoddily tack soldered to the body. The ground wire just tack soldered straight to the body of the device. What could go wrong with that? Straight up garbage engineering, the manufacturers should not only be ashamed, they did it on purpose to make the devices unusable after short periods of normal use, because they can't be taken apart properly to be repaired properly. You can't reach past the board to resolder the ground or the live wire once the board is back in, you can't run a longer wire because there isn't room in the body for it to fit, so you can't add extra wire and solder it in and then slide the board back into place.

So if you're really set on your Smoktech SID and want it to work again, I suggest buying another one, because that's likely the only way that is going to happen.

Wait, did I just suggest buying another Smoktech SID? Nevermind, I take that back. Because I'm never buying one of their products again, and will advise everyone I know to do the same. Flashy colors, cool little LED screen, but after 32 days of use I'm out $60?

More like the Smoktech POS.

Bloggerhater

Mar 12, 2014
Denver
Love my sid. It's fantastic when I'm out and don't want to risk losing my provari or a favorite mech.

My trident v2 with a single 1.8 ohm micro coil @ 10w + is like a damn smoke stack on the sid. As far as I can tell these things only fail when people drop them or when they vape a huge RDA heavily at high voltage /wattage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread