ZNA clone Wotofo/A-Mod review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longtom

Mar 23, 2014
East Coast, USA
Since I'm not allowed to post in the grown-up section, this is a copy of the letter I sent to the manufacturer for the two ZNAs I received. I believe it speaks for itself.

If you don't want to read it, the short answer is to stay far, far away from these.

(Edit: also Zen's replacement tubes do not fit on the device, so replacement tubes are impossible. If your unit does not come with 18650 tubes, and some do not, randomly, you're screwed with whatever you get. The manufacturer has stated that replacement tubes are available, which, so far as I can gather, is false)

|
|
|
|

I have had two of your zna clones for only two days. I have already repaired them several times.

BOTH UNITS WERE MISSING the 18650 TUBES. BUYING THEM WILL NOT MATTER, AS BOTH UNITS HAVE FAILED MULTIPLE TIMES.

Below is a detailed list of failures of your product. You can find a complete public review on the ecig forum and ecig redit group in a few days.

Keep in mind that I have only had these units for two days, and have nearly rebuilt them both. I am very unhappy.

1. The ground screw internal to the unit has come off one unit. The ground point needs relocated to a deeper area. I suggest that the screw be drilled into the bottom wall, instead. Where it is at is completely unacceptable, because it is too shallow.
Fix: I had to drill it deeper and peen it in place on the outside, leaving an ugly dot.

2. The fact that the thread pitch in the top adjustment screw matches the 510 walls is a complete engineering failure. When an atomizer is screwed down, it pushes the center adjustment screw down with it, in unison, never tightening for a solid connection. This makes both units worthless. the thread pitch must be changed for proper function.
Fix: I have no idea how to fix this one, except for Loc Tite thread lock or soldering it in place. I think I'll solder it in place, leaving one of my drippers not able to be used with the device.

3. On several occasions, the contact plate under the top cap has been pushed below the black spacer. The spring diameter and depth of the spacer walls both need increased. The contact plate can not be allowed to tip from side to side.
Fix: I have placed additional walls of plastic underneath the black spacer.

4. The foam behind the screen is insufficient to keep it from falling inside the unit. The screen sits against the hard aluminum, will will cause it to crack, later.
Fix: A total disassembly was required, the screen has been isolated from the aluminum with a silicone ring, and epoxied in place.

5. The circuit board inside one unit appears to be shimmed at the sides with random clear silicone rings. These did not stay in place, even in shipment.
Fix: New, tighter shims were made from scrap plastic.

6. Some of the words displayed on the chip are misspelled. One word reads "mdoe," instead of "mode."
Fix: I can not fix this

7. One unit was full of machining debris and black dust. This is a complete failure of quality control.
Fix: Unit was scrubbed clean with Isoproply Alcohol.

8. (minor) The button rattles when the unit is shaken. Tolerances need improved.
Fix: I have not bothered to fix this.
9. The power wire and ground wire insulation were both damaged, exposing the threads, and ultimately could cause a short. This is unacceptable.
Fix: The wires were de-soldered, and new wires were soldered in place. 1/8 head shrink was applied to areas where wires contacted sharp edges.

Last edited:

dsconnell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Salem, OR
Curious if you got these from a-modvapor? I ordered one for $60 with free shipping through them on 8/13/14. They are supposed to be the wotofo version. I have an order number above 350 but below 400. I have not heard from them even after several emails. When I sign on to their site, my order still shows processing but I've had no contact from them. This may be a blessing in disguise...

Narmor

Aug 31, 2013
Belgium
Longtom, I purchased a wotofo ZNA two days ago and the screen went black after two days. It does not power up anymore.
Is that the symptom of the ground screw issue you mentionned?

How do you open the (wotofo, if specific instructions are needed) ZNA?
Do you have any pictures?
I watched the video where Zen is assembling a ZNA. Do you have any tip to remove the black plastic part (delrin?) that keeps the board inside the body without doing any permanent damage (to the board itself or the aluminum body)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I was told "The moq of A-mod ZNA 30 is 10pcs with the unit price $60/pc, and they are in stock now.
We have never sold ZNA 30 to the focalecig, and we are strange about the rumour that they sell A-mod ZNA 30.

Really sorry that we don't sell just 1pcs. Do you have a vapor shop?
Amod provides high quality mods and guarantee the best service after sales.
Any defective can be replaced once confirmed.

Thanks&Best Regards,
Annie

MikeL76

Verified Member
Aug 13, 2014
ACB, MI
Yup. Mine is working, but the top contact screw is same problem, same misspelling, and mine randomly increases the wattage whenever it so chooses. Any directions to open this thing up without damage?

Since I'm not allowed to post in the grown-up section, this is a copy of the letter I sent to the manufacturer for the two ZNAs I received. I believe it speaks for itself.

If you don't want to read it, the short answer is to stay far, far away from these.

(Edit: also Zen's replacement tubes do not fit on the device, so replacement tubes are impossible. If your unit does not come with 18650 tubes, and some do not, randomly, you're screwed with whatever you get. The manufacturer has stated that replacement tubes are available, which, so far as I can gather, is false)

|
|
|
|

I have had two of your zna clones for only two days. I have already repaired them several times.

BOTH UNITS WERE MISSING the 18650 TUBES. BUYING THEM WILL NOT MATTER, AS BOTH UNITS HAVE FAILED MULTIPLE TIMES.

Below is a detailed list of failures of your product. You can find a complete public review on the ecig forum and ecig redit group in a few days.

Keep in mind that I have only had these units for two days, and have nearly rebuilt them both. I am very unhappy.

1. The ground screw internal to the unit has come off one unit. The ground point needs relocated to a deeper area. I suggest that the screw be drilled into the bottom wall, instead. Where it is at is completely unacceptable, because it is too shallow.
Fix: I had to drill it deeper and peen it in place on the outside, leaving an ugly dot.

2. The fact that the thread pitch in the top adjustment screw matches the 510 walls is a complete engineering failure. When an atomizer is screwed down, it pushes the center adjustment screw down with it, in unison, never tightening for a solid connection. This makes both units worthless. the thread pitch must be changed for proper function.
Fix: I have no idea how to fix this one, except for Loc Tite thread lock or soldering it in place. I think I'll solder it in place, leaving one of my drippers not able to be used with the device.

3. On several occasions, the contact plate under the top cap has been pushed below the black spacer. The spring diameter and depth of the spacer walls both need increased. The contact plate can not be allowed to tip from side to side.
Fix: I have placed additional walls of plastic underneath the black spacer.

4. The foam behind the screen is insufficient to keep it from falling inside the unit. The screen sits against the hard aluminum, will will cause it to crack, later.
Fix: A total disassembly was required, the screen has been isolated from the aluminum with a silicone ring, and epoxied in place.

5. The circuit board inside one unit appears to be shimmed at the sides with random clear silicone rings. These did not stay in place, even in shipment.
Fix: New, tighter shims were made from scrap plastic.

6. Some of the words displayed on the chip are misspelled. One word reads "mdoe," instead of "mode."
Fix: I can not fix this

7. One unit was full of machining debris and black dust. This is a complete failure of quality control.
Fix: Unit was scrubbed clean with Isoproply Alcohol.

8. (minor) The button rattles when the unit is shaken. Tolerances need improved.
Fix: I have not bothered to fix this.
9. The power wire and ground wire insulation were both damaged, exposing the threads, and ultimately could cause a short. This is unacceptable.
Fix: The wires were de-soldered, and new wires were soldered in place. 1/8 head shrink was applied to areas where wires contacted sharp edges.

Hello thread,

I done .....'d up. I purchased a wotofo a-mod ZNA clone from a guy on ebay selling a brand new sealed in box with the extra tube. Paid a fair price; however, I am having a metric tone of problems with this mod and was hoping someone has dealt with similar or may have some fixes to try.

1. Mod will randomly say check battery even on a freshly charged batt. It will also randomly just turn off and wont turn on again unless the atty is touching the center pin. Remove the atty and the mod shuts off completely.

2. The ohms are all over the place, from displaying .3 without firing to displaying .2-.4 difference while firing. I've check the atty resistance with meter for certainty.

3. Mod CONSTANTLY will not fire and will just say check atomizer. This is the biggest pain point for me... What's the use if it just doesn't work, right? I've tried adjusting the pin an various configurations (no gap, little gap, huge gap). I've tried different atty's still no joy. I did notice that in screwing on/off the kayfun it has screwed up the KFL 510 connector farther up into the housing. Problem is I can get it down any further without loosening the deck.

I am not sure how exactly to "clean" one of these things, so advice on that would be appreciated as well as any other bits of troubleshooting tips. Since this was an ebay purchase there is no chance for return, so I'm stuck with this thing.

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
To all with ZNA clones:

If you have a ZNA clone and want it fixed, spend the $99.00 for HOH to chip it with the genuine Evolv chip set and fix your wiring:

ZNA Clone Service

Just my two :2c: worth!

And yes I own a genuine ZNA.... Yeah it was a bite ($279.00) but I have no horror stories to share...sorry...

Last edited:

mrcrunch08

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
mount airy, NC
I also got one from focal when the first got listed and it was flawless. My only complaint was the tubes didn't sit perfectly flush against the main zna unit. I shouldn't have let that bother since I have seen 3 authentics now with the same issue. I sold the amod one for the robbotech since it seemed better built and more 1:1 but that was a double edge sword. It did have an issue with the tube never getting tight but I managed to solve that and set it up for flat top batteries. The material and build quality is head and shoulders above the amod one but the chipset is junk. I don't know if it's from the voltage drop of all the silver plated contacts actually being ss or the wiring but once the battery hits 3.5v good luck trying to fire above 15watts and once 3.4v hits good luck hitting anything. I ordered a DNA 40 board in hopes of putting that in myself but I can't find and info on how to get these damn things apart without doing damage.

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
I got mine from vapepensales a few weeks ago and it hasn't had one issue. It's my first VV mod so I've no idea what chip it has in it.

It steps up and down, but according to the tankometer it's a lot more accurate stepping up than it is stepping down. I have no idea if that's typical. e.g. Stepping down with a 0.3 ohm build (the minimum allowed), 20w setpoint shows a ZNA display reading 2.5v, with the tankometer actual reading 1.7v. That's 10w, only half what I asked for. I'd never vape it that way, but just wanted to get an idea of its limitations. Maybe one day I'll plot it in Excel just for reference, but if anyone knows what chip I have in it I'd probably find plots online already out there.

Would a pic of the screen help identify the chipset? I can't seem to google any straight answer.

zna.jpg

gkenney

May 16, 2013
USA
Hello thread,

I done .....'d up. I purchased a wotofo a-mod ZNA clone from a guy on ebay selling a brand new sealed in box with the extra tube. Paid a fair price; however, I am having a metric tone of problems with this mod and was hoping someone has dealt with similar or may have some fixes to try.

1. Mod will randomly say check battery even on a freshly charged batt. It will also randomly just turn off and wont turn on again unless the atty is touching the center pin. Remove the atty and the mod shuts off completely.

2. The ohms are all over the place, from displaying .3 without firing to displaying .2-.4 difference while firing. I've check the atty resistance with meter for certainty.

3. Mod CONSTANTLY will not fire and will just say check atomizer. This is the biggest pain point for me... What's the use if it just doesn't work, right? I've tried adjusting the pin an various configurations (no gap, little gap, huge gap). I've tried different atty's still no joy. I did notice that in screwing on/off the kayfun it has screwed up the KFL 510 connector farther up into the housing. Problem is I can get it down any further without loosening the deck.

I am not sure how exactly to "clean" one of these things, so advice on that would be appreciated as well as any other bits of troubleshooting tips. Since this was an ebay purchase there is no chance for return, so I'm stuck with this thing.

I'm sure you've moved on, this is an old thread but the issues you are describing seem consistent with a poor ground. Longtom in his initial post identifies the grounding and positive connections are suspect. I have encountered the issues you identify on several mods, either ones I built or bought, and it inevitably resolves to grounding. I have not encountered a bad board but that could always be possible as well. Hope this helps you or someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread