Maybe it's time to give vaping a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
vaping will be there when you're ready to return to it. In the meantime, please be gentle with yourself. The more we love, the greater our grief but, truly, time will see you through to healing. I pray God holds you in His loving arms and soothes your wounded spirit as you pass through this difficult and painful time.

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
Sorry for your loss and i never blame anyone who smokes, only suggest vaping as an alternative, and since you have been a vaper you clearly know well enough. I hope you can find the will and heart to move on soon and get back to a healthier lifestyle. If its any solace you are an excellent writer, it was easy to read your story and very capturing. Good luck

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thanks everyone! You're such a great support group!

Two or three days in a row and I'm already missing vaping. I intend to do reverse wanting: smoke until I miss vaping too much. I hope this time around I'll be much better off.

I'm not in pain about my dad. Life happens. I'm glad it was short and relatively painless for him. We should be able to let go when the time comes.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
It all started last year, my father got sick and I found myself smoking two packs a day. I wasn't feeling anything in particular but I got scared. Started vaping again, for the third time. As all noobs, took me some time to find my delivery system, my juice and batts. All along, my father got sicker by the minute. Prostate cancer hit him but at first it was mild. It changed his disposition from somewhat amicable to downright nasty. I started fighting but I was too anxious all the time. Equipment started working great about December, and although I had big plans it simply didn't cut out for me. Some days I vaped all day, some days I smoked all day, and for the most part I vaped during waking hours and smoked a 10 cig pack at night and early in the morning.

By the time February rolled by, the first symptoms that the cancer had spread started to show. He was in pain and couldn't help it. It didn't show in the studies but I could see it in his eyes... We got to the cancer late and it was starting to show.

By March 13th, he was admitted to the hospital, weak and feebly. The doctors couldn't do much, due to his age (82) and the fact that his defenses were low. I don't remember crying so much in my life. Of course, many days on my way back from the hospital I started buying a regular pack and smoking it all up. Three days before passing away he told me "use my credit card, buy all you need, but don't stop vaping. Don't repeat your mother's story. You can't do anything for me, do it for yourself".

He passed away on a sunny Sunday. I was somewhat releived. He had never been ill, had an active life although the love of his life had departed 25 years early. I'll never forget how he tugged me along every computer show from a very early age. Technology discussions at home were always lively, two strong willed engeneers that shared the same knowledge but different points of view. Tecnophile was big at home.

I thought as the weeks rolled by that I'd be slowly getting calmer and vaping more. I was wrong. Although I have no near family (it was just him and me) paperwork is paperwork. Some people are vultures, waiting for the right moment, and underestimating me. I'm handicapped, not stupid.

Tonight, as I'm writing this, I have a cigarette in my hand. The woman that called herself his partner didn't even stop to say hello. Elvis, my 14 year old Airedale Terrier looks as if a ton of bricks had fallen onto him. Sleeping on the cold, marble floor. The only one that looks carefree is my 5 month old tortie cat, Freya. She looks at me saying "why do you look so sad? life goes on, and I'm the living proof of that". My ex decided he deserved his share but never asked for it, simply took it. And in the midst of everything I vaped for just 5 hours.

I'm only taking a break, not giving up. I'll still be around to help if I may. I'll be removing my banner and starting again. Hopefully very soon.

A dear friend of the family told me "when your parents go, you finally become an adult". She couldn't be more dead on.

Sorry for your loss. I don't know you, but don't need to. Your post was enough to make a connection on a deeper level. My heart goes out to you.

Don't sweat the small stuff! If you find yourself leaning towards cigs, go with it. Life is difficult enough....no need to make it harder than it already is.

When the time is right, you'll gravitate towards vaping again.

I got my first e-cig back in 2010, that is when I registered on these forums. Used it for a month or so, and then I stopped for several years. It is only April 29th, 2013 that I started vaping again :) I can tell it a perm. switch for me now.....not by any force, but because it is what I've naturally gravitated towards, and it feels right :)

I wish you all the best,
In Love and Light,
Supermarket

mediocre toker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
so sorry for your loss. I read your post and almost cried (I'm not a crier). Be strong and come to the forum for all the support you can get. I too don't know you but wish you all the best feelings i can muster. Smoke those cigarettes without guilt. Do whatever helps and keep in touch with your forum pals. God bless you.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
No words I can say would ever express how sorry I am for your loss.

You probably feel like you're in the middle of a whirlpool that is dragging you down, this is a natural reaction and is part of grieving. Try to remember your father's legacy and know that he's embracing you just like when you were a little girl, because he is.

Cry when you want to, smoke cigarettes when you want to, vape when you want to. And, especially be kind and gentle with yourself. There is no "operator manual" to follow instructions on what and how to do it.

As for the smoking and/or vaping, my opinion is that it is not important right now. Don't consider yourself as having failed, you're still a vaper trying to cope with life. It's not a matter of returning, you are here already, just pick it up when you're good and ready.

Red_Bird

Moved On
Apr 11, 2013
Montgomery County, NY
It all started last year, my father got sick and I found myself smoking two packs a day. I wasn't feeling anything in particular but I got scared. Started vaping again, for the third time. As all noobs, took me some time to find my delivery system, my juice and batts. All along, my father got sicker by the minute. Prostate cancer hit him but at first it was mild. It changed his disposition from somewhat amicable to downright nasty. I started fighting but I was too anxious all the time. Equipment started working great about December, and although I had big plans it simply didn't cut out for me. Some days I vaped all day, some days I smoked all day, and for the most part I vaped during waking hours and smoked a 10 cig pack at night and early in the morning.

By the time February rolled by, the first symptoms that the cancer had spread started to show. He was in pain and couldn't help it. It didn't show in the studies but I could see it in his eyes... We got to the cancer late and it was starting to show.

By March 13th, he was admitted to the hospital, weak and feebly. The doctors couldn't do much, due to his age (82) and the fact that his defenses were low. I don't remember crying so much in my life. Of course, many days on my way back from the hospital I started buying a regular pack and smoking it all up. Three days before passing away he told me "use my credit card, buy all you need, but don't stop vaping. Don't repeat your mother's story. You can't do anything for me, do it for yourself".

He passed away on a sunny Sunday. I was somewhat releived. He had never been ill, had an active life although the love of his life had departed 25 years early. I'll never forget how he tugged me along every computer show from a very early age. Technology discussions at home were always lively, two strong willed engeneers that shared the same knowledge but different points of view. Tecnophile was big at home.

I thought as the weeks rolled by that I'd be slowly getting calmer and vaping more. I was wrong. Although I have no near family (it was just him and me) paperwork is paperwork. Some people are vultures, waiting for the right moment, and underestimating me. I'm handicapped, not stupid.

Tonight, as I'm writing this, I have a cigarette in my hand. The woman that called herself his partner didn't even stop to say hello. Elvis, my 14 year old Airedale Terrier looks as if a ton of bricks had fallen onto him. Sleeping on the cold, marble floor. The only one that looks carefree is my 5 month old tortie cat, Freya. She looks at me saying "why do you look so sad? life goes on, and I'm the living proof of that". My ex decided he deserved his share but never asked for it, simply took it. And in the midst of everything I vaped for just 5 hours.

I'm only taking a break, not giving up. I'll still be around to help if I may. I'll be removing my banner and starting again. Hopefully very soon.

A dear friend of the family told me "when your parents go, you finally become an adult". She couldn't be more dead on.

Sorry to learn of your loss. I lost my Mom to cancer almost a decade ago. She had quit cigs for 10 yrs before she had her first stroke. She had a defibrillator put in her chest cavity a few yrs after that.....6 months after that she had her carrotid artery cut.....she had been a beautiful woman all her life and now was scarred badly.......not too far along she needed to be put on oxygen......visiting Mom + Dad was a new dimension to behold....my Mom ravaged from Cancer......she died a few months after oxygen...

It took me years to finally put the cigs down.....but I can never go back.....I try to remember my mother pre Cancer....

Best of luck, Susaz. (PS. "You can do it!")

Rusty S.

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2013
Kitsap County, Washington State
I wish I had some great words to make it all better, but I don't believe they exist.

Take your comfort where you can. Smoking vs. vaping is the least of your worries right now.

If you can't enjoy vaping, then there isn't much point to it. So do what you want to do, and know that you deserve it.

We don't know each other, but I'm sending you a hug anyway!

roonies

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
in the cat toy aisle
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my own father 8 years ago and also felt some relief after watching him suffer for 3 years. But the grief still came up and the profound sense of loss of a parent is like no other. Please be gentle with yourself and don't ever give in to feeling any guilt about smoking as you go through this. You are here and so are we.....for you...anytime, night or day. You are in my prayers. Big hugs and prayers being sent your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread