More faulty products are out there than you know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
Hey guys, I've been recently calling any vendor I can get ahold of in my State to see if anyone has ever experienced what I have with faulty heads (and if there may be any rare cause like battery issues or whatnot) and while most of the vendors try to skirt around the problem at first, when I eventually get very adamant with them about my level of vaping experience and knowledge, they finally admit to me that "faulty heads are an extreme problem" and "we've gotten entire boxes upon boxes of Protank/iClear/Whatever heads that burned up juice instantly and none of our tests could explain it." I'm actually shocked by this explanation because it's come from both big and small vendors alike, and every single vendor has said this.

To me, this sounds like an epidemic. They all claim that these events have happened quite recently. Are our companies using different wicking material? Are they using cheaper wire? Are they placing rubber or other materials too close to the coils? What is going on here, and how do we protect ourselves from this type of fraud? I myself have been severely financially damaged by faulty heads and faulty products, and this is not the type of emotional stress and financial setback that someone needs when trying to stop smoking - it only makes the smoking habit worse.

The question has to be asked: Are the good heads that are still going around possibly just older models that still exist? What would you do if suddenly all of the heads of your favorite tank (and every other tank in your stock) burnt up and tasted like acid or charcoal on the very first hit, no matter what you did to prepare the tank? Are you really prepared to take up rebuilding or dripping? To me, it seems like there may just be a problem with the wick material used across multiple brands, and does it strike anyone that brands like Kanger, Innokin, ect ect may just order wicks from the same exact company? Wicks are made in controlled labs that are way too expensive and complex to run, the company that makes silica wicks makes them in spindles and ships them out to Kanger and whoever, Kanger or Innokin or whoever don't own their own wick factory.

I mean, it doesn't take much chemical altering for the wicks to change from fire-resistant to combustible. A slight change in chemical composition could make these things taste horrible and actually give off a lot more smoke than usual when dry, it could be anything. I just know that across the board, I am getting such extreme and strange results with the heads of my e-cigs, and to be honest, the only luck I've had in the last month is with a CE4 clearomizer where the head was brand new, but MONTHS old (sitting on a shelf.) No new product I've bought in the last month has worked. I think there's some epidemic going around and I hate to sound conspiracy about it, but all the vendors are now saying it too.

P.S. Just to ask, if I didn't want to use silica, and I wanted to take a Protank head and simply slide the original wick out, and slide some new wick back in (nothing complex), what is the absolute safest material to use? I probably don't want to use cotton....

Last edited:

Peppie

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
Bonney Lake Wa, US of A
If this has become a financial disaster for you why would you not switch to building your own coils or heads??
None is forcing you to by such heads.
I have not had this happen to me. (not saying the problem does not exist) But if I had this problem more than 3 time, I would find an alternative that wold work better.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Chinese QC for export products is non existent. Always has been always will be.
When they get enough complaints from major distributors they'll tweek something a tiny bit produce millions and introduce them as the new & improved version # 1 ~ 5.

Of course then there is the problem of copy cat / clone replacement heads & clearo's and which one are you trying to use in what.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Although I've had a problem with earlier generations of clearomizer heads being of poor quality, thankfully I've not come across it in the last several months. I believe if you purchase name brand replacement heads made by the original manufacturer and not skimp by buying generic heads, you lessen the problem you are experiencing.

All these parts are manufactured and assembled in China, whose quality control for the most part has been hit or miss for years. Some manufacturers seem to do better with this than others. Since China manufacturers fall under no regulations like other countries have, and other countries' manufacturers would not be able to compete price-wise with China, we're pretty much stuck with what we get.

The same probably goes for cartomizers, although I've only had one bad carto out of some 50 purchased from Ikenvape. But they are often tough to come by. I guess I take for granted that coil heads and cartomizers are relatively cheap to purchase compared to the money I was spending on cigarettes, and expect the hits & misses as a normal expectation due to the nature of the business. That doesn't make it right, but what can you do? It is what it is.

If worse came to worse, I have experience with making my own wick & coils for my RBA's. They can be fussy to maintain, too, but that's mainly due to my skills (or lack of them). :)

Last edited:

entitynein

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2013
Reno
Simply sliding the original Kanger wicks out and sliding in a new wick is probably going to be more difficult that necessary with anything other than cotton. The Kanger heads are wound pretty tight around the wick, and it's a pretty small piece of silica they use. I suppose you could try to use 1mm silica or ekowool (Do the even make ekowool in 1mm?EDIT: YES, according to that lightning vapes link provided above​ ), but I've found that if you want to rebuild a Kanger head with something other than cotton, it's probably best just to re-coil the thing with some Kantal around your wick of choice (check out a couple of youtube videos, it really only takes about 5 minutes to re-wick and re-coil the whole head after you have some practice at it).

Last edited:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Why not Cotton? I've been rebuilding my Protank/Evod coils with cotton for several months and I LOVE it! True, you can't dry burn it but I can have one completely rebuilt (for .02) in about the same time it would take to do a dry burn.

Have you considered hemp as a wicking material? Darice® Fine Hemp Twine-Natural Colored at Joann.com

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I am always mildly amused at ex-smokers like myself worrying about a few bits of silica fluff after smoking 40 Marlboro a day for 30 years! Maybe the safest thing is to not vape either - nothing is safe really, it's all a matter of degree.

"it doesn't take much chemical altering for the wicks to change from fire-resistant to combustible." That sounds like alchemy to me, but my honest suggestion is to make your own wicks and coils - the choice of what you use has never been greater or more easily available.

T

I bought a single t3s head the other day and put it in my pro tank, it fried 2 batteries today, its a shame when the quality of a product like a head can render your set up useless. Luckily I built another setup and pulled that head out. It was a dangerous QC error on the part of the manufacturer. I actually logged on to ask if anyone had problems with replacement manager heads and saw this thread. At least I know I wasn't the only one.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Sounds like a bunch of Lazy Horse Hockey to me.

I buy about as cheaply as possible - love stretching my Dollars:D

Every Coil I install goes through a Visual inspection and if needed, any adjustment before use. Next is an Ohms reading/verification and finally a quick burn to verify performance.

Not one Faulty coil to date by simple taking time to prepare before use.

Yes, you can get some Ducked up coils, but a few seconds of fiddling will fix all but the very worst.:facepalm:

gotch23

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Fukuoka, Japan
So... what's the problem with the heads? Is the taste off? Or do they just pop?

Regardless...
There's "stuff" (size? my english is at its limits here) in silica wick,
a residue from manufacturing.

Theoretically the Silica wick used by the manufacturers making these cartos
and heads should be cleaned of that stuff/size.

In practice... meh... i think i can almost always at first taste that size-taste
for a tank or two.

I also use silica for my own builds (german or ekowool). That also has that
funky taste... unless... i boil it in demineralised (or filtered at least...) water for 2 * 20 min.
Then i torch the silica wick... untill nothing burns off anymore... the smoke rising has that
characteristic size-smell/taste. Et voilá... no bad taste anymore.

lgboogie19

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Hagerstown, MD
I change my heads frequently for all my clearos between my gf and i. From when we used only vivis to now were using mostly protanks and ive only ever had two coils pop, one vivi and one kanger coil. Maybe im just lucky or maybe its because im changing them often(about once a week). This guy GoodNews seems to have a lot of problems with coils, i really feel for you bro, it can be very frustrating. Hope you can find a solution to your issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I bought a single t3s head the other day and put it in my pro tank, it fried 2 batteries today, its a shame when the quality of a product like a head can render your set up useless. Luckily I built another setup and pulled that head out. It was a dangerous QC error on the part of the manufacturer. I actually logged on to ask if anyone had problems with replacement manager heads and saw this thread. At least I know I wasn't the only one.

Well the first problem I see right there is T3s heads aren't designed for PT/EVOD bases and vice versa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread