Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Ok, the problems I've had is if they are tight like that, and there's wick Much longer than the coil itself I had issues, I space the coil and cut short. How was that wicking achieved? With tight build no less.

Sent from Tapatalk.

Go buy one of those coiling tools , where you thread the wire through choose a rod size and twist one of the ends.
At the least you don't have to cut off as much wire as you do when wrapping by hand.
The wick is just a thing you develop an eye for as just want it to go through without having to yank it through or for it to fall through but still filling the inside of the coil. Then I just cut the ends usually a little past the edge of the deck and fold them down to the deck.

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
Out of curiosity, do you have a clone mutation or genuine? I just found out mines only a clone [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yours may be a clone, but at least it's not battle scarred after 3 weeks like mine. I will say, clones are not a bad thing. They can be better or worse, the reviews are good before purchase to look at. If it's a good clone, don't be afraid.

Sent from Tapatalk.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Yes, but how does that wick not burn all to hell? It's longer than the actual coils, and the coils are uniform and tight, which did not prove helpful to me, as I had to basically space them and cut close to edge of the coil it's self.

Sent from Tapatalk.

Wick doesn't burn because it has juice on it. The coils are vaporising liquid thats in the wick.

The coil is vaporising the liquid in the wick inside the coils and slightly at each end of the coil and when thats done other liquid from the rest of the wick takes its place.

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
Wick doesn't burn because it has juice on it. The coils are vaporising liquid thats in the wick.

When i first attempted building, I had issues, and I came to the conclusion that the coil heats what is there between wraps, and any wick outside the wraps is useless. Was I wrong?

Sent from Tapatalk.

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
It felt great! Thank you!

My first one lasted me a week, and I went through a 120ml of liquid on it. But it looked so ragged from the start, I don't know how it did so well.
Was at work going "look at what I made!" Lol...

Sent from Tapatalk.

Reactions: TronCat

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
I'll throw in a few observations.
Larger wire is a bit of a double edged sword as it simultaneously has lower resistance and takes a higher voltage to heat as well as has a lower resistance, so generating the voltage off a limited device (50 watts or less) is going to be difficult without further adding to the mass.
So get lighter wire and wind with tension, your coils will come out much more evenly.
As for wicking, I rarely go under a 2.3 mm inner coil diameter anymore; the majority of my coils have a 3 mm inner diameter. This creates a larger instantly available reservoir of liquid to be vaporized as well as creates a nice fat supply pipe to freed the juice to the coil. I also find it is easier to get the right inner wick tension/compression inside the coil if there is more space to fill. The outer diameter of the wick should be about 50% larger than the coil inner diameter while the wick is rolled out, uncompressed, and fluffy.
Higher wattage vaper juice faster. If I stuck to my tanks I'd vape 8 ml of juice a day. I blew 15 ml in 12 hours with my 0.22 ohm dual parallel twisted on my mad hatter. The clapton pair I have in it now isn't much better.

Edit:
It is also good to know the voltage range your mod is capable of if you have a variable voltage/wattage mod.
You will get a good mix of controllability and power off the istick 50 if you build close to 1.2 ohm.

Last edited:

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
When i first attempted building, I had issues, and I came to the conclusion that the coil heats what is there between wraps, and any wick outside the wraps is useless. Was I wrong?

Sent from Tapatalk.

Well it depends on how you've wicked the build. Ever done a build put some liquid on the wicks and then fired it without the top cap on so you can see it ?

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
I'll throw in a few observations.
Larger wire is a bit of a double edged sword as it simultaneously has lower resistance and takes a higher voltage to heat as well as has a lower resistance, so generating the voltage off a limited device (50 watts or less) is going to be difficult without further adding to the mass.
So get lighter wire and wind with tension, your coils will come out much more evenly.
As for wicking, I rarely go under a 2.3 mm inner coil diameter anymore; the majority of my coils have a 3 mm inner diameter. This creates a larger instantly available reservoir of liquid to be vaporized as well as creates a nice fat supply pipe to freed the juice to the coil. I also find it is easier to get the right inner wick tension/compression inside the coil if there is more space to fill. The outer diameter of the wick should be about 50% larger than the coil inner diameter while the wick is rolled out, uncompressed, and fluffy.
Higher wattage vaper juice faster. If I stuck to my tanks I'd vape 8 ml of juice a day. I blew 15 ml in 12 hours with my 0.22 ohm dual parallel twisted on my mad hatter. The clapton pair I have in it now isn't much better.

I understand gauge to ohm, 32 is higher ohm, 22 is lower ohm, but when you say "larger" are you referring to the lower or the higher gauge?

Sent from Tapatalk.

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
Well it depends on how you've wicked the build. Ever done a build put some liquid on the wicks and then fired it without the top cap on so you can see it ?

All the time, that's usually how I saturate, take the barrel off, paint. Occasionally I'll hit with the barrel off and watch, but it's an amusement thing, I don't know what to watch for to understand if something's wrong and if it's visible.

Sent from Tapatalk.

TronCat

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2015
Canada
My first one lasted me a week, and I went through a 120ml of liquid on it. But it looked so ragged from the start, I don't know how it did so well.
Was at work going "look at what I made!" Lol...

Sent from Tapatalk.
I can't stop talking about it with my friends, they vape but know nothing about it and only use tanks, which is still good but they don't really know how to build so they treat me like the vape God

Reactions: Cloudd

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Thank you. So, if I were to wrap them closer and make my wicks longer that should produce a better result than spaced with less length?

Sent from Tapatalk.

Well using less wire which you would do by not having the wire spaced will lower your ohms. Using the coiling tool and having contact coils I'm able to get more wraps.
Thank you. So, if I were to wrap them closer and make my wicks longer that should produce a better result than spaced with less length?

Sent from Tapatalk.

Length doesn't matter that much , if its touching the bottom of the deck for the juice to get to it your fine.
Although You don't want the wick to be flimsy inside the coils and the ends to be too long where the ends of the wick can get full of juice and pull the wick away from touching the inside of the coils. Then the wick can singe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread