Nautilus mini burnt taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first BVC worked GREAT for about 2 weeks. Now I get a burnt taste often. I have it on my VTR it reads 2.0 ohms. The second tank had a burnt taste right out of the box. I really like this setup when it works. The first 2 weeks was just mind blowing. Now I find that I am fighting with the settings. I sure hope this gets better and soon.

There are a variety of things you can do that will help.

1) There is no time frame on how long a coil will last, it is more closely related to the amount and type of juice you use and the temp/volt/watt you generally use.

2) Try wetting the wick with your juice prior to inserting, then let it sit as long as you can. I don't know for sure but my guess is that the coil was dry and got burnt, and that taste stays around.

3) Take the unresponsive coil out, soak in Vodka over night, let dry and you should be good to go.

4) Another trick is take the unresponsive coil out, put it in a cola product for a couple of hours, then boiling hot water for a few minutes. Let dry and good to go.

5) Now if you are ready to step away from all these half way steps...

Yank the guts out of the factory coil then drill through the entire coil.

IMAG0456.jpg

Wrap what ever ohm coil you want, wick it with organic cotton, wet it down real good install and sit back and be prepared to experience something you never you thought you would see out of that unit.

IMAG0458.jpg

PS it helps to drill the outside air hole to 3mm and put one on each side.

Last edited:

xxCoMMoNxx

Sep 19, 2014
Hi.. Bought the Nautilus mini 2 weeks ago and have the same problem with the burnt taste..Cant get it to work properly... First hours it performed great with great vape and sweet delicious taste with some zeus juice inside, then came the burnt metallic taste. I primed the coil well, let it sit for 15 min and staying between 8-9 w on my mvp2. Tried both coils with the same result. So frustrated over how hard it is to get a good hit out of the mini... Pathetic how the cheap tanks like the tumbler or i30 for 1/3 of the price, outperforms the mini by miles right now. Tried to clean properly, dryburnt and cleaned again before drying and tried 3-4 other juices with the same result..Got 5 new coils from aspire, gonna give it a last try before i smash the ....er with a hammer! Dont wanna give up but i mean how many burnt hit can a man stand i wonder? Right now i have a hard time to think about this tank/coils without hating it.

What ohm rating are your coils? And your using the new BVC right? I have both the mini and full size nautilus and currently vaping them at 4.0V with 100% VG Bobas Bounty and they're working fantastic. U most likely got a bad set of coils, is try the new ones. I prefer the 1.8 ohm better then the 1.6 as they heat up hotter and even with the ceramic wick inside can burn the juice pretty good. I use mine for 3 days then soak them for 24 hours in vodka to remove the contaminants, let them dry for another 24 hours and your good to go! Hope this helps :)

My Nautilus Mini's have been very problematic. I bought 3. They are gurgly, spitty, flood, and generally taste burnt. I've tried every setting on various batteries, doesn't matter. They'll work fine for a short while then it goes south. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, as I'm still a relative newbie, but for now I've put them aside and I'm using other tanks. So much to learn with all this, I can't deal with something more temperamental than myself ;)

No ash More Cash

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
A Englishman in NJ
Could be a number of things...1: "A burnt taste is mainly due to the eLiquid not wicking properly onto the coils. This is due to a too thick eLiquid (over 30% VG) and/or to a lack of air pressure inside the tank (too much vacuum). Bottom coil tanks are very influenced by the vacuum created in the tank when the eLiquid wicks onto the coils. To help solve the "burnt taste" issue of a bottom coil atomizer, simply blow gently into the mouth piece - you should see a couple of air bubbles coming from the hole of the coil head. This will rebalance the air pressure inside the tank and help the eLiquid wick properly onto the coils. This simple tip has proven to be very effective in helping get a fantastic vape with bottom coil atomizers".

2:if it's a sweet juice it could be getting caramelized around the coil

3: The Juice is to thick (To much VG) Aspire recommends nothing above 50% VG

dwg64

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
Oregon
Wanted to shed a little light on this tank since it's all I use on my iSticks and I own 3 of them, and have been thoroughly loving them all.

1). The coils that come in the box with the naughty mini suck. I don't have an explanation for it other than all mine did, and many others have had the same results.

2) Juice does play a roll in your experience with these tanks, but in my opinion , high end and cheap both do great. Keep in mind, all juices perform differently and equipment is not always the issue.

3) The way we vape!! I found early on that the largest air hole provided the best taste and vapor production. Don't draw to lightly!!!! That was what caused my first bad burnt experience. Be consistent in your draw. I also lung hit so as I said, your technique plays a roll as well.

4) Before putting your tank together, always give the new coil 2-3 drops of juice. IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!! Then fill the tank. Now, remember there is a vacuum created that helps this thing work right so when you screw the base back on, make sure it's only finger tight!! Don't screw the thing together like it's going on a space shuttle in the the morning. IT WONT LEAK.

5) I let mine sit for 5-10 minutes, then do a couple non-fired hits to prime the coil a bit. You'll see little bubbles coming from the coil showing that the wicking material is, well, wicking. Next, the first few hits are little ones. Kinda teasers if you will to get things moving along. I have followed this ritual to a T since I bought these tanks and I have been blown away by the thing. Fantastic setup!!

6) Yes, there's such a thing as a bad coil here and there. It happens. But in the 30 I've purchased, I've only had one that got tossed. And IMHO, cleaning these things is a waste of time. I've tried it and it's just never the same. At $2 a pop, why bother. I vape like a chimney at 11.5 watts using Nicoticket juices and I'm getting on average 12+ days of great vape.

Give these things a try. I had issues early on as well but I read a lot, and learned a lot.

Vape happy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
This issue seems to be only on the minis, right?

I've been using the large Nautili for several months now with no issues whatsoever.

Will say that the BDCs didn't last long at all; maybe four or five days at the most. BUT, the BVCs have been terrific for up to two weeks. Best plug&vape device I've tried in over three years vaping!

Hope ya'll determine what's up...

Rwb1500

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
South Central PA
JUICE TOO THICK.

I tried some 100 % vg the other day. It wouldn't have wicked in a million years. 50/50 is the sweet spot for these coils. The wicking material is just too dense to work fast enough for anything thicker.

You will roast coils all day if you use thicker liquids, no questions asked.

I've been using 50/50 in a full size and a mini both with BVC and haven't had a single problem.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Wanted to shed a little light on this tank since it's all I use on my iSticks and I own 3 of them, and have been thoroughly loving them all.

I agree with you on the iStick with Nauty (have a regular and a Mini). It's a GREAT and FUN combination.

My problem is not burnt taste...but the occasional gurgling I get.

Haven't figured it out yet...but when I get gurgling...would the best next step be to move the AFC to the next bigger hole...or the next smaller hole???

Rwb1500

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
South Central PA
I agree with you on the iStick with Nauty (have a regular and a Mini). It's a GREAT and FUN combination.

Haven't figured it out yet...but when I get gurgling...would the best next step be to move the AFC to the next bigger hole...or the next smaller hole???

Bigger hole, turn the power up a little bit and tilt the PV and tank. Bottoms up, if you will. Have a toot or two like this, usually solves my problem.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
The new ceramic cloth filler in the bvc atomizers gave me the same troubles until I read another thread which advised treating them like mini cartomizers and priming them well with several drops of juice beforehand, also watch out using sweet thick juice. Mine works best with 60 or 70 pg and fruit flavors or snakeoil.

I'm not sold on the bvc heads and have reverted back to the bdc on the mini naughty which gives no burnt taste or dark residue like I was getting from the bvc heads.
I use mine more infrequently as I prefer the flavor you get from building your own stuff, Considered a Kayfun?

dwg64

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
Oregon

I ONLY keep it wide open. That solved my issues as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
I saw a youtube vid somewhere and the guy suggested a few drops to prime the coil. (I think he was using the older bdc style, but this tip works great for the bvc coils, and maybe whatever coil.)

But then, after a few dry hits to wick juice and equalize the pressures, he suggested hitting it at the lowest power setting for a few vapes. Then slowly turning it up until you get to your level.

I have a naughty mini and the bigger naughty. I'm using an iStick. I have done this with every new coil in it, and have had no problems.

So, next new coil, break it in gentle, lowest setting, then every 3 hits, turn it up a small notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread