Newbs: What did you buy? Why? Is it good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY
My original purchase was the Yeti-C 510 from AltSmoke.com . It came with cartomizers that have the filler in them, which was good enough to know this was for me. :) But after I received the E2 ceramic cartomizers I am extremely happy with it all... the Chocolate Fudge Bavarian Cream (madvapes.com) mixed with a little Juicy Caramel (JuicyLiquid.com) probably helped too.

I'm liking it all so much I have already ordered a drip tip, cart and atty just to round out the experience to make sure I'm not missing out.

I think the only thing I would change is the battery life. Any one have suggestions for someone looking for a longer lasting battery (both in hours and life)? I don't need any more TH, just more vapes.

Hiya Crimson,

I've used a 510 model for 2 months and I love it...cept for the battery life:( I just ordered this Riva model last night for $29.99 (20% off sale is a banner you click in upper left corner on main page):
Liberty Flights

It will use all my 510 atomizers too so I won't have to buy more. But the battery life should be wonderfully long. My 510 mega batteries are lasting me 1.5 hours so any battery that lasts 6-12 hours will make me happy:) Some people get a whole day with one Riva battery they say! I'm going to try to only use the regular 510 atomizers with it. I hear the low res attys shorten the Riva's battery life.

I'll never get rid of my 510 though! It'll hold a place in my heart forever and I'll keep it as a back up.

Lori

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Zara, the ego is still a 3.7v, it just has a bigger battery so it lasts longer. And, because it lasts longer, it tends to actually stay at the actual stated 3.7v (aprox.) longer before dropping off as the battery drains.

Hi guys! Welcome to the wonderful world of vaping!

Just to clarify--eGo/Riva/Tornado are NOT 3.7v devices. They are advertised as such, but that's their nominal voltage. The true, under load, working voltage is somewhere around 3.1-3.2v and it's regulated, which means it stays at that level from the beginning to the end of the charging cycle. The kr8 batteries start at ~4.0v but very quickly drop that voltage as they are being discharged.

You don't need to buy an HV battery to experience HV vaping, though. You just need to put a LR atty/cartomizer on your regular (3.2 or 3.7v) battery. Remember, what we are interested in the amount of heat (power) produced by our PVs. And power (measured in Watts) = Voltage squared divided by resistance. Watts = V/Ω x V.

Happy vaping!

LM1

Oct 4, 2010
lalaland
Holy Moley, this could be a long answer! I've a draft for a blog post about stuff like this and have been working on it over a week. Here's an ultra quick and short version:

So far, over about 3 mos, it's gone like this:
1) 2 pks/day Marlboro Ultra Lights (or Kent III when I could get them). Over 30 years.
2) Tobacco store automatics analog look-alikes with expensive cartridges. Not a good solution since they couldn't get the right refills most of the time. Cut analogs to about 3/4 when I had what I wanted.
3) Ego w/ atomizer and cartridges. Cut analogs to about 1/3 on 12mg/ml. Graduated pretty quick to
4) Ego cartomizers! And filling my own.
5) Discovered RY4 :2cool:
6) 510 batts because they're compact for spares when I'm out and they're analog size. Somewhere in here I bumped up to 16/18 mg/ml and cut analogs to about 1/4. Also a 510 passthrough.
7) Bigger Egos! 900 mAh
8) Just started dripping a few days ago, using a cartridge with the innards pulled out. This works for some things. Not very portable.
9) Bumped up to 21 mg/ml yesterday. No idea how much futher I'll cut back on analogs over this yet.

Something like that.

Though I've run into problems with the ego line, cignot.com has made things right very quickly. But I kind of expected this for any model and this is why I have several batteries and cartos. Nothing is modded, everything is stock (except those carts I use for dripping) And when it works, it works very well for me. The Joye 510/ego line is very versatile, which really helps as I figure out what I want next.

Last edited:

Nitzer00

Dec 8, 2010
Ny
I started with an NJoy e cig and hated it!! The carts tasted horrible and leaked fluid into my mouth, so I went back to analogs, a week later I bought a Screwdriver MK2 it came with a 901 atty, it was good but not great. I then got a 510 adapter a enjoyed the experience much more. A week ago I got into the LR thing, these at tie's are great, nice warm vapor bigger throat hit. Next week I think I'm gonna get a cisco 306 as I here this is the end all be all for 3.7 mods

beentheredonethat

Verified Member
Oct 13, 2010
Texas
What is working for me (36 days without an analog) is adding a flavor from a sample to a tobacco flavor base. I've bought the tobacco flavor in larger bottles (10mg/ml) and been adding 24-28 mg/ml flavors in about a 1 to 4 ratio. I still get a good hint of tobacco and I'm really enjoying strawberry, english toffee and menthol flavors. I have been vaping mostly 100% VG but the smooth slightly sweet taste is getting a little old, as I'm going through my juice inventory I'm liking a 50/50 mix of VG/PG a lot better.

On the PV front, I've been very satisfied with 510 atty/carts with eGo 900mAh batteries that for me last all day. I been using the "straw mod" on all my carts and that really makes a difference.

Last edited:

VanderVape

Moved On
Nov 17, 2010
Wyoming
First we went and bought the Njoy e-cig just to see if we liked it. Well it turned out that I couldn't vape off of it because it would cause me to cough and I hated the tobacco flavor, but liked the menthol (still couldn't vape because it made me cough.) I have been for the last 2 weeks doing research on this site because I wanted to find out why my partner could vape away with no problem while I couldn't? In the mean time we returned a roll your own purchase and ordered Health-e cigs just to fill the order and so I could vape while waiting for my disability payment on the 3rd. The health-e cigs I still had the same problem and some of the cartomizers didn't work that well. So while my partner vaped on those I did more research. Looking at this e-cig, and that one. Comparing this and that while finding other info from having full cartomizers, to dripping.

Placed order on the 3rd from freedomsmokesusa for juices and supplies, while I ordered my two Ego kits from LibertyFlightsusa. Both were fast, although I will admit that usps tracking doesn't update like Ups, or Fedex so that takes a bit to breathe through (especially being our first orders.) lol

We have the standard Egos and got 2 full kits and have been puffing away on them since Monday (that is when the Egos came in.) I knew from all the research that I had done and watching my partner constantly change out her Njoys and Health-e cig batteries that having to charge all the time would aggravate me to no end and why I decided to buy the Egos. I have to say I have yet to be disappointed because we vape on them all day and charge one at night keeping the higher nic one for first thing in the morning. Then after vaping on the high nic change to the 6mg one for the all day vape while charging the other one. I love that it doesn't take long for these to charge either.

For one I knew to order atleast a couple of different strengths (6 and 12mg) since I smoked light cigs. I also knew that I should order quite a few bottles in different PG/VG's so to find the correct combo that won't make me cough. I have to say that I am totally in love with Hypnotic Mist from FSUSA that is a 6mg and 30/70 blend. I also have a 12mg 50/50 water/razzle from them that I vape when I am having a huge nic fit, but other than that vape the 6mg all day. We also have an 18mg Jagerbomb 50/50, and many other different flavors in these mg's and varying PG/VG mixes. I also found out because we had ordered a 100% VG that it makes me cough as well.

I knew from all the research that to start out it would be very expensive, but I also knew that we needed to have the variations of Mg, and PG/VG to find what works for us. We are now having fun steeping a few flavors that we really didn't care for as well as starting already to mix a couple of flavors together. Oh and also we drip a couple of drops on our attys and fill our carts with the juice (I bought 2 5pks of flat tips, and 1 5 pack of cartomizers for when we are going out of the house) We also went to our local Hobby Lobby store and bought a pack of poly fill for 3.00. Mind you as small as they need to be cut to refill the carts it will be a year or what have you until we run out of it. At first when I was researching all I wanted to do was have the cartomizers, but many posts later I had changed my mind to filling the carts and dripping on the attys. This works well and actually is a bit of fun. The only thing that I wished I wouldn't have done was order all fruit flavor for me. I did try my partners tobacco juices and haven't liked any of them, but I also notch that up to my tastebuds needing to clean themselves. In the meantime I have placed another order for a nut mix, as well as some coffee mixes as well. I know that buy the beginning of next month I will have things down to where I order our all day vapes in 30mls and then order a couple of new juices in 10mls in the higher nic. :)

Hope this helps, and Happy Vaping!

SmokingBullet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2010
Southern Utal
My first was an E9 from Green Smoke. Can't say I've had a great experience with them. I went with the 2 piece because of ease. After reading about 3 pieces, dripping, etc. I thought it would be a PITA. I smoke lights, but I smoked a lot especially when I'm working on designing and creating jewelry; my business. Carto's didn't last long, found recharing batteries too often. The E9 became a PITA.
In less than a month I ordered a 808D-1 along with a passthrough from V4L. I'm in love. The carto's seem to last me twice as long as the E9 carto's plus I'm finding I can't live withoug the passthrough when working on the computer. Flavors are also better tasting and seem to last forever vs. the E9.
Yeah I broke down and ordered a 510, waiting for it to come in. I ordered the 510 because I've become a flavor freak. Can't seem to get enough different flavors to try. I'm hoping this will pass. Someday I'll find the ultimate few flavors I can't live without and stick to them. I'm hoping the 510 will work.
I'm planning to use the 808 while in my car and working at my desk. The 510 will be for mornings with coffee and walking around the house and the evenings while in front of the tube.
What I've found is that you'll switch or add onto your collection of 3-cigs sooner or later until you find your peace.

Kevin Freeheart

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Live Free Or Die
I do the cartomizer thing since it's just easy. But I'm looking for people who do the drip thing, and atomizer thing. Why do you do that - is it better? Did you start that way?

I started using cartridges with filler. It was somewhat messy and didn't work that well. I'd have filler half-full of juice that wasn't being used.

I had to have a cart for each flavor or constantly mix flavors, but prospects were unappealing to me.

Attys and dripping is simpler to me. I don't waste juice I'm not vaping and I can change flavors whenever I want. Three or four drops of vape fluid doesn't last that long so if I don't like what I'm vaping, I don't have to stop and clean a cartridge out. I don't have a filled cartomizer I don't want to touch.

You can also mix flavors a lot more easily.

When they're de-wicked, they also taste a lot better, especially after you've used it for a while.

LM1

Oct 4, 2010
lalaland
Man there are a lot of RY4 convos out there. Will make it a 'must try'

If you have a sweet tooth, you'll probably really love it. If not, than RY4 might not be for you. It's tobacco, vanilla, and caramel flavors, and it goes down in sweetness from ry4 to ry1, with ry4 being the sweetest. I sometimes add a bit of extra vanilla to ry4 and that really seems to give it that extra oomph for me.

I also have a thing about having something with cinnamon after certain meals; usually it's candy. Of course, this is fattening. But dripping with Vapor Bomb's cinnabomb helps me cut that back some.

I still don't have enough taste bugs working for some flavors even if dripping, such as maple and choc mint, but I hope to eventually

player30

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham AL
The only one I have tried is the SmokeStik. I feel like I am smoking a cigarette. I just joined this site to learn more.
To me, the battery life is not great. I have to pack up several before I leave home. I am constantly charging my batteries. The attomizers do not last long enough for me. I started out going through at least two a day and now am going through at least four a day. That's $12.00; much more expensive than smoking. I think Smokestik could do a better job at putting more juice in their cartomizers.
But I love the feel of it. The vapor and throat hit are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread