OK this is my rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

vert1276

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2011
seattle
Ok this is my one and only rant on this subject and then I will never talk about it again ok? I have been reading threads on here about peoples first time vaping and having a "racing heart beat" or feeling dizzy or sick or getting a headache ect ect...... Then right after that you will see like 10 people post "seems like it might be a nic OD". ARE YOU PEOPLE KIDDING ME? Do you know hare hard it would be to OD on nicotine or get nicotine poising by vaping? The absorption rate on nicotine by vaping is somewhere between 10% and 30%(according to who you believe). On an analogy its around 10% and the rest is exhaled. A normal analogy in the US has between 10mg and 20mg per cigarette of nicotine in them. Depending on the filter and how many holes it has in it and how much other chemicals has been added to the tobacco to help absorption, the absorption rates is about .06mg to 1.2mg(as listed on the side of the pack). Some of you one here seem to think if you vape 1ml of 24mg juice your body is talking in 24mg of nic LMAO!!! Its not even close to that! So you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure out all the nicotine is not be absorbed by your lungs and most is being exhaled! If you start feeling sweaty or dizzy or having a racing heart beat YOU ARE NOT HAVING A NICOTINE OD or experiencing nicotine poisoning!!!!!!! You are just feeling the effects of the DRUG you are putting into your body!!! Thats like saying if you have two beers in a half hour and start to feel a buzz....would you say "OH NO im having an alcohol OD?" Come on people get a grip. I was a pack a day smoker for 16 years and I could still get a buzz off the first cigarette of the day, I was not experiencing a nicotine "OD" LMAO. I could sit at a poker table for 5 hours and smoke 2.5 packs. I would sometimes get a racing heart beat or sweaty or headache and light headed, I was NOT having a nic OD, I was just taking in more nic than my body had built up a tolerance to. Just like I got a racing heat beat and sweaty and dizzy the FIRST time I had a cigarette. This was becasue my body had not yet built up a tolerance to nic. I was not experiencing a nicotine overdose the first time I smoked when I was 15 LOL!

OK so can we just tell new vapors that if they feel a "buzz" or racing heart, they are just experiencing the effect of the damn drug they are ingesting..... and maybe they are taking in a little more than they use to when smoking and just to back it down a bit? And thats a big MAYBE. There could be many other reasons for it. And get past using the term OD(overdose). Its scaring new people trying to get into vaping for god sakes!!!!!!!! If you had 3 cups of coffee in the morning and felt light headed and your heart was racing would you think you were OVERDOSING on caffeine? NO you just think "DAMN I drank to much coffee" and are feeling the NATURAL effects of the drug you are taking into your body!

So in closing LOL.........For the love of good can we stop telling new vapers that feel the effect of nicotine they are OVERDOSING or getting NIC POISONING? Overdoing as a word, has a VERY strong stigma attached to it, when people thing overdose they think of death or some ...... junky on the floor flopping around with foam coming out of their mouth!! Ok now im done with my rant and I will NEVER bring it up again I promise LOL And PLEASE no one post " well technology if you feel the effects of a drug, you have taken to much and are technology overdosing" Oh and Im just waiting for the post "dont tell people that, then they might not go to the hospital if they have nic poising" Sigh <rolling eyes> Remind me again how many of the MILLIONS of vapors world wide have died form and overdose of nicotine again?

Happy VAPING:p

Reactions: cruizydude

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
The absorption rate on nicotine by vaping is somewhere between 10% and 30%(according to who you believe). On an analogy its around 10% and the rest is exhaled. A normal analogy in the US has between 10mg and 20mg per cigarette of nicotine in them.

Nice rant.

Although I didn't know analogies had so much nicotine. I better stop using them. ;-)

-Magnus

Critter Man

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2010
Minnesota
Sounds like you got some bad info, vert. Not your fault, that's why we're here.

Nicotine poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If memory serves, a smoker absorbs between 1 and 3 milligrams of nicotine from smoking a cigarette. 60 milligrams is a potentially lethal dose for a healthy adult. Children and pets can be killed by doses below 10 milligrams.

Symptoms of nicotine overdose can begin with a dose as small as 5 milligrams, and can be distressing at 10 milligrams (healthy adult). While there is little risk at this dose, the symptoms are quite real and entirely attributable to nicotine. While it is unlikely a healthy adult will suffer long term effects from these levels of nicotine, they are best avoided.

That is why we warn people. Sorry to be so blunt, but there is enough disinformation out there. We're here to learn and teach the truth. Vape on! :vapor:

Critter Man

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2010
Minnesota
Definition of overdose:

Drug overdose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no other term to use when describing taking too much of a drug. If you have negative effects due to a high dose, it's called an overdose.

Edit: The reason I stress this so much is that folks who don't know what is happening are likely to attribute their symptoms to the vapor, not their over-indulgence in nicotine. A friend of mine was convinced that a friend of her's had antifreeze poisoning because he went to the ER after vaping for the first time. Had he known that he had just had a bit too much nicotine, hundreds of facebookers would not have been misinformed about "those dangerous ecigs" that "contain freon" as she put it.

Last edited:

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
I think we're misconstruing the meaning here... ODing in context to these replies is over doing it and I can tell you from personal experience if you vape too much at too high a dose you CAN over do it. I HAVE over done it...headache, nausea, racing pulse...yup a few times....when I stopped vaping for a bit the symptoms went away until the next time I got too hot and heavy with my hookah doodle... sorry if it annoys you but yeah it happens.

vert1276

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2011
seattle
I think we're misconstruing the meaning here... ODing in context to these replies is over doing it and I can tell you from personal experience if you vape too much at too high a dose you CAN over do it. I HAVE over done it...headache, nausea, racing pulse...yup a few times....when I stopped vaping for a bit the symptoms went away until the next time I got too hot and heavy with my hookah doodle... sorry if it annoys you but yeah it happens.

WOW I swear im gonna try to be nice here ok? Having a racing pulse from vaping to much is NOT ODing!!!!!!! Nicotine is a STIMULANT!!! its SUPPOSED to make your pulse race, the side effect of a high pulse/increased blood pressure is headache and nausea. Feeling the effects of a drug is NOT ODing. The reason you NORMALLY dont feel this way when taking in nicotine is becasue your body has built up a tolerance to it.

vert1276

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2011
seattle
Definition of overdose:

Drug overdose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no other term to use when describing taking too much of a drug. If you have negative effects due to a high dose, it's called an overdose.

Edit: The reason I stress this so much is that folks who don't know what is happening are likely to attribute their symptoms to the vapor, not their over-indulgence in nicotine. A friend of mine was convinced that a friend of her's had antifreeze poisoning because he went to the ER after vaping for the first time. Had he known that he had just had a bit too much nicotine, hundreds of facebookers would not have been misinformed about "those dangerous ecigs" that "contain freon" as she put it.

Did I predict this in my OP or what LMAO, How did I know someone was gonna bust out wikipedia and get all "technical" LOL, An overdose is taking in more then the recommended dosage of a drug. SO explain to me what is the recommended dosage of nicotine LMAO? Lets not turn this into a technical argument ok? Lets just say using the term OVERDOSE or NIC POISONING is not good to be telling someone new to vaping when they get a headache ok? Can we agree on that?

Critter Man

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2010
Minnesota
Overdose is the accurate term for taking enough to generate these particular negative side effects. I got 100% in pharmacology, the only one in my class. Since nicotine is only used pharmacologically to treat nicotine addiction, it's tough to pin down a recommended dosage. According to some nic gum I tried, one should not exceed 8 milligrams in an hour. Also, the packaging says "Stop use and ask a doctor if: irregular heartbeat or palpitations (you can feel your heart beating in your chest) occur; or you get symptoms of nicotine overdose such as nausea, vomiting, dizziness, ........, weakness, and rapid heartbeat."

vert1276

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2011
seattle
Overdose is the accurate term for taking enough to generate these particular negative side effects. I got 100% in pharmacology, the only one in my class. Since nicotine is only used pharmacologically to treat nicotine addiction, it's tough to pin down a recommended dosage. According to some nic gum I tried, one should not exceed 8 milligrams in an hour. Also, the packaging says "Stop use and ask a doctor if: irregular heartbeat or palpitations (you can feel your heart beating in your chest) occur; or you get symptoms of nicotine overdose such as nausea, vomiting, dizziness, ........, weakness, and rapid heartbeat."

Well this is ABSOLUTELY my last post on this then im gonna go back to posting about fun stuff like hardware and juices......First off what it says on the side of the box really means nothing and we both know this. It is just a CYA for the gum producer. It also says on the side of a bottle of advil not to take more than 2 pills in 4 hours LOL. This is my recommendation ok...............When someone says they are having a headache from vaping or racing heart beat or nausea ect ect. can we just tell them................

"hey you are probably taking in more nicotine vaping then you were when smoking, just cut down a bit on the strength of your juice or don't vape so much"

Instead of saying

"OMG the sky is falling you are having a nicotine overdose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Call 911!!!"

Ok maybe I exaggerated a little with that last quote but, its not far off from what some people say on here and its getting a little annoying IMO

So all im saying is the WORD overdose is a little over kill. If someone went out bar hoping and had one to many beers and got dizzy and threw up, no one would say to them "wow dude, you overdoes on alcohol" lol....Could it be "technically" true that MAYBE they did? Sure maybe "technically" but if you said that so someone in the middle of a group of people they would look at you like you were from the planet MARS. I think most people would just say "hey looks like you over did it a little, next time dont take so many shots lol" So can we just apply that same rational to nicotine as well? And not go all "OH NO you OD'ed on nicotine becasue you got a headache"! Because the WORD freaks people OUT! Is it "technically" true? Maybe? but im not gonna argue with you about the "technicality" of the word OVERDOSE. All Im sayin is can we relax with that word around the newbies? and not give them all panic Attacks?

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I see the OP's point.

If it were alcohol there is "drunk" (effects of too much, but in and of itself, not life threatening) and "alcohol poisoning" (effects of way too much and is life threatening).

For electricity there is "shock" (harm caused by current, which is painful and can cause lasting harm) and "electrocution" (death by electricity).

When we hear that a rock star "OD'ed", that rock star is dead, not having a slight headache. If that same rock star was "intoxicated" then we know he was experiencing the expected effects of the substance he was taking.

When ingesting too much of a stimulant, if the ingest-or were to have increased pulse and a headache, why would OD be the term instead of intoxicated? OD has greater connotations than just feeling the effects in common usage.

So, I agree, OD is a poor choice of phrase for feeling the expected effects of nicotine. Overdid, overdo, intoxicated, high, or something with fewer near-death connotations seems more appropriate.

That's my stance and I cannot be swayed by any wiki or professor. (Might be swayed my Samuel Clemens or Nikola Tesla though.)

vert1276

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2011
seattle
Damn if you get this worked up over the technical details of nic poisoning then you had better stay out of The Lounge! lolol

LOL ya looking back I did get a little worked up about it :). It has been drivin me crazy for a while now. It all came to a head this morning when I read a post on here about some guy saying the first time he vaped he got scared becasue he had a "racing heart beat". And it seemed like everyone and their mother was posting back "it sounds like you OD'ed on nicotine". And that was just the straw that broke the camels back...as they say! NEWs FLASH....you inhaled a stimulant and got a increase heart rate, WOW I cant image why that happened <sarcasm off>

Im over it now :)

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Sorry I did not finish reading it yet.

We have been vaping. We know what OUR bodies do. When I vape too much I get a nic headache, my fingers get somewhat numb, and in extreme cases I get rapid heartbeat or a couple of irregular ones.

When somebody just starts vaping and has those symptoms then nicotine is usually what it is. I don't care about supposed studies that nicotine is absorbed less by vaping. Something makes it stronger. Maybe it hangs around longer due to the glycerins and compounds in effect. maybe the little bits we get here and there on our lips and tongue and fingers builds up. Maybe it's because we tend to vape more often than we smoked but for fewer drags, not allowing it to wear off. I have no idea.

When I started out I over-nicced myself a lot. And I don't mean nicotine overdose I have to go to the hospital. I mean headache always in my right temple (and I am a person who never gets headaches). Plus sometimes the numbish fingertips and rapid or irregular heartbeat. I got that on cigarettes too when I smoked too much in a short time.

I had to work on lowering my nicotine so I could vape as much as I felt I needed to without over-niccing myself.

-----

OK - finished it. You are right. It is not an OD. I call it over-nicced as in overdone on the nicotine.

Last edited:

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Well point made. Now how about taking responsibility and using common sense. Just and another point!. Moderation ring a bell? Children have little selfcontrol and don't know when enough is enough...think halloween candy. They should never be vaping ever!! As an adult that is new at vaping should know better than to go hog wild vaping....just playing the devil's advocate :)

Sgt.Taz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago,IL.
www.youtube.com
I was thinking along the lines of what Doormouse is saying why use OD? Instead ON (over nic) This seems less critical and less likely to cause panic. We all have done the Over Nic thing and have learned not to overdo our vaping to keep that in control. The term OD conjures up the thought of calling poison control or a trip to the Emergency Room for help. So I vote we use the Over Nic term and keep the newer people running to a doctor or calling for a paramedic. Think back to those first untrusted, unfamiliar days when you started. If someone would have told me I was ODing, I might have been scared had I not had a background that was familiar with medical stuff. Not that it isn't the correct terminology but why make a tough time starting out that much more scary or worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread