Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I have a question for you guys. I was at Lowe's today (oh, my I love that kind of store!!) and I saw some spray on (and also some paint on with a brush) electrical "tape".....I think it's sort of a rubbery electrical tape substitute. Isn't electrical tape heat resistant? Would that stuff work (do you think) to spray onto an RM2 to turn it black? It's sort of a matte black. I didn't get any, but I was wondering. I know I'd have to plug up the air hole first.

Vapolith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Um, maybe I'm missing something, but to paint the RM2, the only part that needs painting and heating is the cap (without the drip tip), right?. Did you put the entire RM2 in the oven?

You'd have nickel showing on the base, if you didn't paint it too.

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
I have a question for you guys. I was at Lowe's today (oh, my I love that kind of store!!) and I saw some spray on (and also some paint on with a brush) electrical "tape".....I think it's sort of a rubbery electrical tape substitute. Isn't electrical tape heat resistant? Would that stuff work (do you think) to spray onto an RM2 to turn it black? It's sort of a matte black. I didn't get any, but I was wondering. I know I'd have to plug up the air hole first.

I have some spray plastidip. I did my provari with it. It did not last. I assume the RM2 would have the same issue...in and out of the pocket is what made it peel.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal

Electrical tape is made of vinyl which is not very good at resisting heat (& neither is the pressure sensitive adhesive backing) "Liquid electrical tape" is also formulated to be similar. Plasti-Dip is also a similar product but better. Not sure how good the liquid stuff holds up to heat but it will soften up, at what temp I don't know. I have used it before but only in automotive, not a fan of it.

I did a blackened RM2 not too long ago. Thread title was "Stealthier RM2" or something like that. Sorry, on my phone so I don't wish to search for it right now. There's a pic of it in my profile. I used a blackening solution to turn the brass black but it's not that durable. Overtime it can get polished of by working of the hands.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
I have some spray plastidip. I did my provari with it. It did not last. I assume the RM2 would have the same issue...in and out of the pocket is what made it peel.

Products like Plasti-Dip work best on a very porous surface but even then it can still peel but not nearly as easy. Just as paint needs a roughed up surface for proper adhesion. Any paint or powdercoat applied directly to the smooth chrome surface will not last long. Bead blasting first would be ideal.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK

Yeh, I think that's the stuff. Oh, well..... I don't really need a black RM2.... :) I was just there and I saw it and wondered. It seemed sorta like it would/should work.

timk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Yakima, WA, USA
Yes the whole reomizer went in at 200F. Didn't seem to affect it at all, but like I said the insulator material got really soft. The wrinkle is tighter today. Still not an exact match but close enough for me.

reomizer wrinkle 1.jpg

reomizer wrinkle 2.jpg

Last edited:

timk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Yakima, WA, USA
Drip tip next! For that bleeding lips look women go wild for. :blink:

The colour match is pretty good, but i can't help thinking it's as if it were all pebbledashed.

Might be a great idea to cover up the dents in my grand......

T
I like my blue drip tips lol in hindsight, it would be worth the trouble to test various thicknesses of the coating to see different wrinkle effects. Also, quick tip, I used an ego/510 adapter chucked in my drill to hold and rotate the reomizer for sanding. It was also painted while turning slowly. Would make polishing easy too. Then you can use a protank beauty ring as a stand for heating. Oh yeah, one more thing, I unscrewed the cap about a turn and a half right after painting so the paint wouldn't dry the seam fused.

Wet VHT Wrinkle, very thick stuff.

reo stand.jpg

Last edited:

Vapeaddikt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Southern Cloud Cartel Arlington, TX
The chrome/shiny reomizer just wasn't looking right on my new reo mini 2.1, so I painted it black using high temp bbq/grill paint. It came out ok, but I think I will practice with the VHT wrinkle black and try to match it to the body of the reo. I like the look much better now and performance is exactly the same (ie, I didn't screw it up LOL). I would like a more wrinkle or satin finish though. Also pretty sure you need to heat this bbq paint before its properly cured but I don't know about putting the reomizer in the oven. Anyway, pics...

Before (it was a gorgeous day out):

View attachment 254798

I used 400 metal oxide sandpaper and roughed up the rm2. I put the rm2 on an old ego battery and taped the ego all the way up to the bottom of the rm2. After sanding I cleaned thoroughly with alcohol. I stuffed cotton inside the cap and put a little piece of tape over the air hole. I also used sewing thread wrapped in the grooves so they would stay shiny. Then 3-4 light coats of paint. Sorry no pics of the process but it wasn't really elaborate. I was hoping for a satin finish but it was cooler than normal and high humidity. Also think this paint needs some high temps to really set. I may try lightly torching but I read a thread on here of somebody deforming their reomizer torching.

Anyway, here is the finished result:

View attachment 254794

View attachment 254795

View attachment 254796

Now to find a matching blue drip tip in glass or ceramic :2cool: any ideas where to get such drip tips? I have a ceramic ming tip I got from kidney puncher, but its more purple than blue.

Nice job man...looks clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread