Painted my Reomizer 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

timk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Yakima, WA, USA
The chrome/shiny reomizer just wasn't looking right on my new reo mini 2.1, so I painted it black using high temp bbq/grill paint. It came out ok, but I think I will practice with the VHT wrinkle black and try to match it to the body of the reo. I like the look much better now and performance is exactly the same (ie, I didn't screw it up LOL). I would like a more wrinkle or satin finish though. Also pretty sure you need to heat this bbq paint before its properly cured but I don't know about putting the reomizer in the oven. Anyway, pics...

Before (it was a gorgeous day out):

4.jpg

I used 400 metal oxide sandpaper and roughed up the rm2. I put the rm2 on an old ego battery and taped the ego all the way up to the bottom of the rm2. After sanding I cleaned thoroughly with alcohol. I stuffed cotton inside the cap and put a little piece of tape over the air hole. I also used sewing thread wrapped in the grooves so they would stay shiny. Then 3-4 light coats of paint. Sorry no pics of the process but it wasn't really elaborate. I was hoping for a satin finish but it was cooler than normal and high humidity. Also think this paint needs some high temps to really set. I may try lightly torching but I read a thread on here of somebody deforming their reomizer torching.

Anyway, here is the finished result:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Now to find a matching blue drip tip in glass or ceramic :2cool: any ideas where to get such drip tips? I have a ceramic ming tip I got from kidney puncher, but its more purple than blue.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Last edited:

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
Looks great Tim. Here is what Face Meat did:

It's painted. I sanded the cap with 1200 grit sandpaper, applied two coats of Krylon BBQ paint and let it bake in a warm oven for a few hours.

It's not bulletproof, but it's held up pretty darn well. Zero chips or scratches after a few weeks of use. If need be, I can strip the paint with some acetone and repaint.

Photo here: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2832/9779621604_3a05e608cc_c.jpg

timk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Yakima, WA, USA

timk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Yakima, WA, USA
I'm thinking of painting one of mine too, though I'll probably sand it down all the way to the brass before I do.

Nice!

It won't take much to get to the brass. I spent about 15 minutes sanding with 400 and had 50% of the brass showing. I will also figure out a way to rig it up in a cordless drill next time too for sanding and maybe even for painting. After I saw the brass shine through, some thoughts of polished brass ran through my head LOL might have to buy another one of these rm2... perhaps when I buy a Grand... and I hope that is soon. :vapor:

Vapolith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It won't take much to get to the brass. I spent about 15 minutes sanding with 400 and had 50% of the brass showing. I will also figure out a way to rig it up in a cordless drill next time too for sanding and maybe even for painting. After I saw the brass shine through, some thoughts of polished brass ran through my head LOL might have to buy another one of these rm2... perhaps when I buy a Grand... and I hope that is soon. :vapor:

I'm going to use 1500 grit, so it might take a little longer. I'm planning on making one brass, and one black. I have three RM2s.

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Also pretty sure you need to heat this bbq paint before its properly cured but I don't know about putting the reomizer in the oven...Also think this paint needs some high temps to really set.

Once the paint on mine was no longer tacky, I put it on a piece of aluminum foil and into my oven (set to warm) for about 2 hours. Once it's cool, the paint will be fully cured.

It's not indestructible, but if you're careful not to scratch it or drop it, the paint is pretty durable. If you do happen to scratch or chip it, it's easy enough to remove the paint with some nail polish remover and re-paint.

I found that using a cheap plastic drip tip as a sort of handle while spraying worked well and kept paint out of the inside of the drip tip chamber.

minigoat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
USA
I've always been curious about those powder coat kits, you can pick one up on Amazon for approx $150 and a 1/2 pound of the black wrinkle is like $10. If I could find something else to use it on that would help justify the expense. Just to much for an experiment, for me right now.

+1 on the flitz for polishing

Vapolith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've always been curious about those powder coat kits, you can pick one up on Amazon for approx $150 and a 1/2 pound of the black wrinkle is like $10. If I could find something else to use it on that would help justify the expense. Just to much for an experiment, for me right now.

+1 on the flitz for polishing

There's a place about 45 minutes away from me that does commercial and consumer powder coating, I've been considering taking an RM2 there, to see what they would charge me.

timk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Yakima, WA, USA
UPDATE: The bbq paint failed. Likely due to not baking the paint on per directions. I'm ok with it because I really wanted a wrinkle finish anyway. Tried the VHT today, followed directions, and baked at 200F for an hour.

NOTE: The insulator material on the 510 pin got really soft and I'm unsure of any possible damage. It is still working fine and I've not noticed a difference.

The wrinkle is more coarse than the coating on the reo, but I'm content for now.

reomizer wrinkle.jpg

Last edited:

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
UPDATE: The bbq paint failed. Likely due to not baking the paint on per directions. I'm ok with it because I really wanted a wrinkle finish anyway. Tried the VHT today, followed directions, and baked at 200F for an hour.

NOTE: The insulator material on the 510 pin got really soft and I'm unsure of any possible damage. It is still working fine and I've not noticed a difference.

The wrinkle is more coarse than the coating on the reo, but I'm content for now.

View attachment 258360

Um, maybe I'm missing something, but to paint the RM2, the only part that needs painting and heating is the cap (without the drip tip), right?. Did you put the entire RM2 in the oven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread