Jul 17, 2013
North of NYC
Started With this
uBzAvSGl.jpg

filling in the button and 510 holes with soy wax
wN3kfAvl.jpg

After etching and sand-able primer's
WNW9lECl.jpg

Here's after swirl painting it, couldn't take pics because I had enough stuff goin on tryin to get this right.
8VF66wyl.jpg

Here's the paint I used

CSRf88al.jpg

Flashy shot to show it shinyness

Wp6pvyKl.jpg

Here's a side shot

47wpdEKl.jpg

This was my first attempt at anything like this. The prep work was the worst part as with any painting job. I filled the cavity with soy wax, as well as the button hole and the 510. Soy wax has a very low melting point, which makes it easier to get out later. Have to be really careful not to get it on any surface that will be painted because it's a pita to get off completely.

I ended up taking out the toothpick and instead, threaded some 28g kanthal thru the feed port and made a loop for hang drying.

I used the borax method for swirl painting, it was a bit tricky to get the right amount of borax to water ratio. The paint would not disperse enough before drying with too little borax, or it would clump up with too much. A couple test runs on some wood made it easier. I used krylon short cuts enamel paint. Most sources call for humbrol paint, but they are a bit pricey and hard to get. If you don't know what swirl painting is, youtube it, they're are a bunch of videos.

The finish didn't come out as smooth as I had wished. The black paint was a bit runny and caused some blemishes during drying. I tried to lightly sand it, but ended up causing some primer to come thru in some spots. So not perfect but good enough for my taste, I'm bound to muss up the finish with some use, so i'm just gonna call it character.

Gonna do some clear coats tomorrow and polish it up after it cures.

yaypudding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
North of NYC
I touched up some of the blemishes this morning so it's looking sharp. The red is more of a blood red, the camera phone is not doing it justice. The actual painting took 5 minutes, the prep work took 2 days, but most of that was waiting for the primer to dry. It's pretty easy to do, it's just the first time always takes longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread