Russian 91% vs Cheaper Clones

Status
Not open for further replies.

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
I would like to speak with the folks that own both a Kebo Russian 91% and cheaper kayfun Lite Plus clone, by Ehpro or Tobeco.

I have the opportunity to buy a brand new Russian 91% for $85 shipped. However, I have never paid more than $50 for any one piece of vape gear.

I am wondering if you dual owners can answer this simple question...Is the Russian 91% worth the extra money?

I do like the matte finish on the 91% the best. At least as it looks in the pictures and videos I have seen. But, not enough to spend $35-$45 more when compared to the price of the Ehpro or Tobeco clones. Is the build quality of the 91% worth the extra money?

Last edited:

jonhall2

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
cashiers, nc
I would like to speak with the folks that own both a Kebo Russian 91% and cheaper Kayfun Lite Plus clone, by Ehpro or Tobeco.

I have the opportunity to buy a brand new Russian 91% for $85 shipped. However, I have never paid more than $50 for any one piece of vape gear.

I am wondering if you dual owners can answer this simple question...Is the Russian 91% worth the extra money?

i got an ehpro lite plus 2014 clone today and was disappointed compared to the smovesto 3.1 clone. ehpro changed the design of the topper to accept a 510 drip and lost the chamber underneath like a russian. the draw is terribly tight and i drilled the tip to allow more air to flow. sorry i don't know about the kebo russian. the lite plus was $52 and came with a frosted m-tank, some extra orings, screws etc. my 3.1 was $40 and i got a truly clear m-tank with it for an extra $10. i would say go for the russian if it looks to be original design.

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
i got an ehpro lite plus 2014 clone today and was disappointed compared to the smovesto 3.1 clone. ehpro changed the design of the topper to accept a 510 drip and lost the chamber underneath like a russian. the draw is terribly tight and i drilled the tip to allow more air to flow. sorry i don't know about the kebo russian. the lite plus was $52 and came with a frosted m-tank, some extra orings, screws etc. my 3.1 was $40 and i got a truly clear m-tank with it for an extra $10. i would say go for the russian if it looks to be original design.

It is a true Russian 91% and I am leaning towards it. Especially at $85.

McGarnagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I don't own a clone, but I have seen lots of pictures and people with issues with their clones (while the Russian may technically be a clone it's high quality and actually improved on the Kayfun). I do own an authentic Russian 91%. First of all, you can really see the differences in machining. Second, some clones seem to have a single center pin than holds down one of the blocks to the base and also makes connection to the mod. In the Russian 91% it's 2 pieces (see the diagram, pieces 18 and 19). The 2 piece design allows you to adjust your connection depth to the mod while keeping the block fastened to the base. I am not sure I am explaining this very well. Anyway, with the clone you can't extend the connection without loosening a block (this can lead to shorts). On my provari I need to extend the connector some in order to make the connection. People with clones that are one piece cannot do that without loosening a block and risking shorts, and I have seen people complain they cannot make connection to some mods (I know I wouldn't be able to with my provari). That is just one example of the design changes some clones make to cheapen things out. I am not telling you to not buy one, just be careful.

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5...stic-tube__00523.1388196035.1280.1280.png?c=1

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
I have a legit R91 and 2 KFL clones (Tobeco and Ehpro).

Out of the box, the R91 outshines the KFL's in fit and finish. However, as it was noted in the R91 thread, Kebo's manufacturing -- at least their QC -- has dropped off a bit since they first came out. Mine was a fairly recent purchase and it certainly had a few rough spots, but not nearly the crapshoot you're looking at with KFL's.

If I had it to do over again, I'd likely choose a legit KFL+v2 for my expensive atty instead of the R91. Though the finish/color is what initially drew me to it, I think the design of the KFL+v2 is a bit better and, from what I've seen, the quality is more consistent.

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
You'll not be disappointed. Certainly clean it well, before you use it. For what it's worth my particular flavor of OCD required that I take an old toothbrush to all of the metal threads, removal/inspection of all o-rings and then give everything a nice isopropyl alcohol bath.

My R91 had (and still somewhat has) a bit of a leaky 510 connection which I have mostly fixed via careful application of plumber's tape around the circular bottom of the positive block's isolator. It seemed that juice was migrating down between that isolator and the large center hole in the main deck.

Also, all of the included the fill screws appear to be a little bit too weak for the sharp and hard threads of the fill hole, which yields another point of unwanted juice escape. More plumber's tape and a hefty screwdriver keep those leaks at bay, at least until I can find a stronger and coarser threaded replacement fill screw.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
If looking for esthetic value and shear attention to Detail in build - Original Russian
Otherwise there are many copies on the Market that, once set up properly, will Vape as well and should last as long.
You are talking original, maybe 312 SS
Clones 304 SS
Both are pretty durable Stainless and both are Food Grade.(though I would not eat either :laugh:)

mbliffert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2014
Ocean Springs, MS
I currently have in my rotations the following:

2 Svoemesto KFL+ v2
1 Kebo Russian 91%
2 Tobeco (new) Black Edition KFL clones
1 Ehpro KFL clone
2 Tobeco Black Edition KFL v1 clones
1 Hcigar 3.1 clone

I have placed these in order of build quality and machining, and how satisfying the vape is for me. Again this is just my opinion. The reason the Hcigar isn't higher on the list is due to its increased size and wonky fill valve, but the vape is quite good.

In short, nothing beats the KFL+ v2 authentic in my opinion. $85 is also a good price for an authentic Russian 91% and I'm sure you'll be quite happy with your purchase.

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
After sleeping on it, I pulled the trigger on the R91%. Now I need a higher end APV to power it. Looking at provape's site...

No, you don't. These things are very efficient and don't really need more than ~7-9 watts to work quite perfectly. You can run it on an eGo if you wanted to and it'd hit perfectly fine.

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
No, you don't. These things are very efficient and don't really need more than ~7-9 watts to work quite perfectly. You can run it on an eGo if you wanted to and it'd hit perfectly fine.

I have been wanting a mod without pulse width modulation. Something that delivers smooth DC power. I have not really decided on joining the Provari dark side...not yet anyway ;-)

yotrek

Sep 29, 2013
CAD
I would like to speak with the folks that own both a Kebo Russian 91% and cheaper Kayfun Lite Plus clone, by Ehpro or Tobeco.

I do like the matte finish on the 91% the best. At least as it looks in the pictures and videos I have seen. But, not enough to spend $35-$45 more when compared to the price of the Ehpro or Tobeco clones. Is the build quality of the 91% worth the extra money?
you mind sharing where you get your Russian 91% from?

Last edited:

McCoys

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
★★★SeaXXle★★★
I learned to coil and wick on a black Kayfun clone from eBay. The first thing I noticed is the deck screws spit the 28 gauge wire oot. I put in better deck screws and that solved that problem. because the air-screw/510 pin was one unit I couldn't get proper connection without loosening up the positive block causing shorts. The airflow control wasn't modulated very smooth so it was an on/off affair.
I bought my real black R91% and liked everything about it. As long as I keep the coil up and off the build deck it draws smooth and satisfies amazingly well. Since then I have bought two Kebo Full Russians and like them even more!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread