Second hand vape in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxxenigmaxxl

Nov 20, 2010
Buffalo NY
Anyone ever take second hand vape into consideration before they vape in public places. If the liquid is infused with nicotine when you blow it into the air you are exposing others around you to a highly addictive substance that has been know to cause side effects. People who vape in the work place might be doing even more damage by exposing the same people to nicotine day after day. I don't know if I like the idea of vaping in public.

I'm still new this this e-cig thing and maybe I still don't have all the facts on how this works but it should be something we should discuss if we what to be responsible people in our society

Anyone have a opinion of this matter

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
There is a potential and one that merits investigation, but even with cigarettes the concern was not with the nicotine- it was with pretty much every other chemical and chemical process except for the nicotine. I do think that courtesy should be extended to those around us, but I don't believe the fear of second hand nicotine is warranted. If I recall correctly, nicotine's risk in the air diminishes rather quickly.

ler

Oct 22, 2010
Virginia
I'm a little concerned about this, too. Most of the nicotine in a cigarette is either burned up or absorbed by the smoker (of course not the other thousands of chemicals). Has there been a study on nicotine in the second-hand vapor? I have little kids in the house, and I use to smoke outside, rain or shine. That's one of the things I like about vaping, but lately I've been thinking about the effects it might have on the kids. Nicotine is not a harmless substance...

Crumpet

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
central VA
I don't disagree that we would all benefit from having more data about what is actually exhaled, but I honestly feel it is trivial given the few ingredients that are actually in the higher end American made e-liquids. It's gotten to the point that if people have a negative opinion of something (like smoking in general) then all bets are off as far as logic or rational thinking goes and it becoems all emotions, all the time. I mean, there are people who, even if you had scientific data showing that only trace/non destructive amounts of anything were exhaled, they would stomp both feet and insist that no one has the right to force their precious lungs to inhale anything that they don't want to, no matter how insignificant the amount. Those are the people who just like to pout on prinicple and who would ...... up a wet dream. No matter that these people have to have 3.4 kids leaving carbon footprints all over the place or that these same folks just need a big gas guzzling SUV adding more pollution to everyone else's air......it's always different when the focus is on them.

I guess I'm just plain damn sick and tired of all the alarmist hysteria in general, with this obsession with avoiding any and every little potential risk in the world in an effort to live to be 1,000 years old, and especially with the chiiiiiildrun being trotted out and used as the basis for trying to control the behavior of adults. Sorry for the attitude, I'm just sick of it. For extreme antis it will NEVER be enough. You give in and give them what they want and then they change what it is that they want so that you are always tap dancing around trying to placate a bunch of people who will never be satisfied.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I believe that all the second hand smoke propaganda was and is a pack of lies..

and this is just an attempt to bring that drama here after the FDA lost their appeal...

all the studies so far have shown that the amounts that we're inhaling are minimal, and that so much of the minimal amount is absorbed that anything exhaled would be totally inconsequential expecially at the rate at which vapor evaporates...

second had smoke is a myth and second hand vapor even moreso

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Most people around me when it is done inside love the smell. Either French Toast, Carmel Cream, Coffee Hazelnut. Specially they like the French Toast smell. There's no chemicals or tars being emitted in the water vapor so who is being hurt.

Like I always said to people at my house - Please remove your shoes before entering or leave. If you don't like my dogs you can leave, I won't turn down the thermostat - so you can leave. If I had smoked in the house, the answer would be the same - if you don't like the smell, then leave. If you have little kids that don't light and stay and behave - leave and never come back. Those are the rules.

However, I never smoked in someone elses house, even if they said I could because it wasn't allowed in mine. I always remove my shoes and if children are unruly and hang around the adults eavesdropping, then I leave. Thats for those who want to know.

JustFolly

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
What a strange thread... Obviously the vast majority of the nicotine is absorbed and the exhaled vapor is mostly PG, that's the point... but even then, this doesn't make much sense. Do people commonly get addicted to nicotine walking through cigarette smoke? It just doesn't make sense, there's not that much nicotine in cigarettes OR e-cigs...

Crumpet

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
central VA
What a strange thread... Obviously the vast majority of the nicotine is absorbed and the exhaled vapor is mostly PG, that's the point... but even then, this doesn't make much sense. Do people commonly get addicted to nicotine walking through cigarette smoke? It just doesn't make sense, there's not that much nicotine in cigarettes OR e-cigs...

But see, that really doesn't matter in the era of the Anti (sounds like a Star Wars movie:laugh:). Someone else on another thread said it best: these antis are becoming a charicature of themselves and the absurd is all they have left. I say fine, they've gone so overboard that even many non-smokers are looking at them side eyed. Now it's all about third and fourth hand smoke, etc. As long as we live in a country that is needlessly overly dependent on oil and where the most dangerous device known to humankind (aka the cigarette) is legal and taxed, I don't want to hear about all of these so-called dangers from smoke anymore. Especially when most of the population is non-smoking w/fewer people than ever actually smoking cigarettes and with almost all public places being non-smoking....just where the hell is all this 'smoke' coming from? Never mind that vaping doesn't produce any smoke at all, why is is constantly being included in discussions about second hand dangers? I suppose when all you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.

Also, the antis just seem to spout off all kinds of scare tactics without really needing to verify their claims. They just expect everything they say to be taken as gospel.

lxxenigmaxxl

Nov 20, 2010
Buffalo NY

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
yeah she did a good job with that one...

sorry if it sounded like I was poking fun or not really explaining why it was irrelevant due to all the stuff that those links contained...I was having a bad day... and it's one of those issues that gets brought up every couple of months..
it's essentially the same point only more concise with links and resources and way way more PC and gently put than my answer...

and now that the lower court and the appeals court have ruled in the fight with the FDA that e-cigs should be treated as tobacco products instead of drug delivery devices like the FDA wanted...
you can bet that this is one of the issues that the antis will push in their anti e-cig campaigns... that they're tobacco and what about second hand...

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Ditto.........

yeah she did a good job with that one...

sorry if it sounded like I was poking fun or not really explaining why it was irrelevant due to all the stuff that those links contained...I was having a bad day... and it's one of those issues that gets brought up every couple of months..
it's essentially the same point only more concise with links and resources and way way more PC and gently put than my answer...

and now that the lower court and the appeals court have ruled in the fight with the FDA that e-cigs should be treated as tobacco products instead of drug delivery devices like the FDA wanted...
you can bet that this is one of the issues that the antis will push in their anti e-cig campaigns... that they're tobacco and what about second hand...

ler

Oct 22, 2010
Virginia
Jeeze, I didn't mean to offend anyone...and I'm not toting out the kids. I happen to never want them exposed to second-hand nicotine, and just wondered if there had been a study. The first study mentioned said only co was tested. And my machine froze up on the second, going to try it again. I am not for banning anything, ecigs are saving my life. But I have a legitimate concern for my grandkids, and am just trying to be informed. I spent 18 months of committed quitting of analogs, unsuccessfully, before ecigs. I have read every study about cigarettes that's on the net and in the library. Just wanting more info on vapor...

Last edited:

Crumpet

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
central VA
Jeeze, I didn't mean to offend anyone...and I'm not toting out the kids. I happen to never want them exposed to second-hand nicotine, and just wondered if there had been a study. The first study mentioned said only co was tested. And my machine froze up on the second, going to try it again. I am not for banning anything, ecigs are saving my life. But I have a legitimate concern for my grandkids, and am just trying to be informed. I spent 18 months of committed quitting of analogs, unsuccessfully, before ecigs. I have read every study about cigarettes that's on the net and in the library. Just wanting more info on vapor...

I wasn't offended and didn't mean to sound as though I was. My frustrations weren't/aren't directed at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread