Spicy/burning sensation from higher nicotine juices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eazyaspievaper

Jul 18, 2015
I got a bunch of The Standard vape e-juices ranging from 12 to 18 mg. When I exhale I get a really spicy/burning sensation especially through the nose. Feels like I snorted a small amount of black pepper. It's really not enjoyable and nothing like a cigarette that I'm craving. I let it sit in hot water for about an hour, let it breathe for about 6 hours and it's been steeping for about 2 days. What can I do to reduce this spicy/burning sensation? Should I do my steeping process for longer?

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I got a bunch of The Standard vape e-juices ranging from 12 to 18 mg. When I exhale I get a really spicy/burning sensation especially through the nose. Feels like I snorted a small amount of black pepper. It's really not enjoyable and nothing like a cigarette that I'm craving. I let it sit in hot water for about an hour, let it breathe for about 6 hours and it's been steeping for about 2 days. What can I do to reduce this spicy/burning sensation? Should I do my steeping process for longer?

You can cut it with VG, PG, or both

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    High nic. can be a little peppery, but they may also be using cheap, not as pure nic. as other vendors. ..
    I agree with the above. :thumb:

Unflavored nicotine has a spicey, peppery taste. The higher the nicotine concentration (mg or %), the stronger the throat hit, harshness, and the less you'll taste the actual flavor of the e-liquid. I suggest dropping the nic concentration a level or two.

For e-liquid, the typical nicotine recommendations are as follows:

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
    1 ppd = 12 mg
    1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
    2 ppd = 24 mg

Figure on consuming at least 2 - 3 ml of liquid daily. Bottles are usually 10 or 30 ml volume.
    E-liquid generally has concentrated nicotine, propylene glycol (Pg), vegetable glycerin (Vg) and flavoring extracts. The ratio of Pg and Vg is known as the pg/vg ratio, and a 50/50 blend is common.
    You can cut your current supply with Glycerin (vegetable glycerin), which you can find at Walmart in the foot care section. (It's also used as a skin emollient, natural food sweetner, & other things)

IMG_2146.jpg

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    I got a bunch of The Standard Vape e-juices ranging from 12 to 18 mg. When I exhale I get a really spicy/burning sensation especially through the nose. Feels like I snorted a small amount of black pepper. It's really not enjoyable and nothing like a cigarette that I'm craving. I let it sit in hot water for about an hour, let it breathe for about 6 hours and it's been steeping for about 2 days. What can I do to reduce this spicy/burning sensation? Should I do my steeping process for longer?

People always ask "why did you lower your nicotine level?" and I say I worked on that because I absolutely dislike the taste of nicotine, I can take it at 12mg and not higher, so I was very *motivated* to drop my nic level when I started vaping :lol:

some people like that taste. When I dropped to 6mg I started to enjoy vaping. Now that I am at 3mg or 0mg its not an issue anymore LOL

I could barely vape the first few months, that throat hit was really bothersome for me.

If you DIY, then
    Vapers Tek
    nic is not at all peppery. At all.

I;m one of what they call those "super tasters". Of course, I didn't know this til somebody told me that was what I am. I kinda knew it, from food. I would eat out with people and can taste ingredients that nobody else can taste, we used to play a game where we'd call the chef out to table and he would verify that yes, it has this spice or this ingredient that only I could taste LOL

I can taste PG. I hate PG. If it is more than 20% in an ejuice, I can tell. I can probably tell the pg/vg ratio of a juice just by vaping it once.

It's a curse, really. Esp. if there is a component that you hate. Cinnamon as well for me. If it is anywhere in a flavoring....even the tiniest bit, I gag

Isabelle49

ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2015
    It's not the taste. It's just really peppery and it burns my nose and throat.
    Many years ago when using Nicorette gum, it was very peppery. I am definitely not a pepper liking person. The 12 mg juice was a little peppery. A drop or two of glycerin in my device mixed with the 12 mg stuff has really tamed it down.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Would steeping it for a week or two reduce the peppery taste?
    Probably not. As I wrote above, the peppery taste is most likely because the nic concentration of your e-liquid is too high for you. Steeping the liquid will not change the concentration of the e-liquid at all.

You can cut (dilute) your current liquid to reduce the nic concentration. Or purchase a lower nic e-liquid.

Reactions: Dahomey

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2014
    Maryland
    I agree that the nicotine is the problem. Nicotine destroys flavors and hurts to vape. It does feel good though after consumed. For me, the solution is to drop the nic to 3mg and then proceed to make a ton of vapor... And enjoy the vapor throughout the full course of the day. Its wonderful. Tastes great. And i enjoy all of the nicotine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread