Threads catching when screwing vape tank together.

RainbowJay

Jan 6, 2024
Australia
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for how to make my vape tanks screw together smoothly. I am mostly using Zeus tanks by geek vape but have others as well. One of my old tanks broke because the treads have worn away. Is there a way to stop this happening?

It is not the part that screws on to the mod it is the tanks themselves. Is there anything I can put on the threads to stop them catching?

I am a new member. I have tried looking for answers through the forum but couldn’t find what I was looking for. Sorry if there is already a post about this.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for how to make my vape tanks screw together smoothly. I am mostly using Zeus tanks by geek vape but have others as well. One of my old tanks broke because the treads have worn away. Is there a way to stop this happening?

It is not the part that screws on to the mod it is the tanks themselves. Is there anything I can put on the threads to stop them catching?

I am a new member. I have tried looking for answers through the forum but couldn’t find what I was looking for. Sorry if there is already a post about this.
Try putting a bit of vg on your finger and rub on the threads.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
That’s called cross threading. I after it’s been done once it’s a massive pain to make it stop happening regularly. To the point that if electricians do it to a screw they generally throw the screw away. Retapping is an option. Those will be some big taps though. There is also going in with a jeweler’s loupe and trying to straighten the damaged threads. More time consuming and less reliable. You don’t have to buy a tap though. One way to prevent it is to screw in the wrong direction for a fractional turn (or even a couple of turns) to get the threads to seat correctly before you screw. Once it happens though it’s generally bad things. Fine threads are easier to cross-thread than coarse threads. I was afraid I would cross thread the fill port on my pulse2. Finally did it though.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Hi,

I've been vaping for probably about 10 years now and I have never had threads strip on a tank. This sounds like major user error to me. Tank threads are just like any other threads you deal with in day to day life (bottle caps, screws, package caps, etc), you should always reverse screw for a bit until the threads catch before you start screwing the tanks together. If you just go full hog and just screw them together as fast and quickly as possible I can see that ending in stripped threads.

As far as lube, just use your juice. No other lubes are recommended or needed. Your technique is probably the problem, not dry threads.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    I've been vaping for probably about 10 years now and I have never had threads strip on a tank. This sounds like major user error to me. Tank threads are just like any other threads you deal with in day to day life (bottle caps, screws, package caps, etc), you should always reverse screw for a bit until the threads catch before you start screwing the tanks together. If you just go full hog and just screw them together as fast and quickly as possible I can see that ending in stripped threads.

As far as lube, just use your juice. No other lubes are recommended or needed. Your technique is probably the problem, not dry threads.
    I have. Or rather I’ve had threads strip on a mod, so the female 510 component. Trying to remember if I’ve had male 510 threads strip. I think so, but only on cartos from long ago. I get the impression this isn’t the 510 though. It’s some sort of big giant screw thread around the outside of something.

Reactions: no|ah

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
    Connecticut, USA
    Welcome @RainbowJay

Taking care not to cross thread is excellent advice.

Another tip I'd offer is: don't overtighten. I used to ruin lots of (non-vape related) stuff by overtightening anything and everything.

Tighter usually isn't better, especially when you want longevity. Just snug or a little past snug tends to be optimal, and better to err on the side of it being too loose (in my opinion).

Users who are viewing this thread