Tinnitus and vaping....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizzy_T

May 9, 2016
Hello, all. This is my first post here, so this is also a hello of sorts.

So, I've seen quite a few threads now regarding tinnitus and vaping, specifically the link to PG. I also saw that most people reported switching to VG, and their tinnitus returned to "normal" levels.

I have an iStick 40w with a Triton tank. I was having the tinnitus issue, even with 80/20 VG/PG juice, so I searched for some 100% VG juice online, since my local vape shop doesn't offer anything without some PG in it. I settled on an Open Source Vapor flavor, 12mg nic. When it came in, I cleaned out my tank, threw in a lightly used coil, and filled it with the new juice. Still, the tinnitus increase came for a few days after I vaped it! I'm at a loss for what the cause is now, and have forced myself not to vape since.

So anyone out there who's suffered worse tinnitus as a result of vaping PG, AND who then switched to a 100% VG juice, AND noticed their hearing/tinnitus return to normal, what juice do you use?

Quick Edit: No one thinks it might have anything to do with the coil itself...? Just a thought.

Thank you for reading.

Reactions: Foggy Road

Bizzy_T

May 9, 2016
This issue has been discussed before. Go up to the top right of the web interface and search for "tinnitus."

Please search for subject matter than has been discussed before before posting. There may be two or three threads on this going currently.

Sorry about that. I have searched and read many of those threads, but none of them answer the last question, if vaping 100% VG juice solved the problem. Either the OP never posted results or didn't try all VG.

Sorry about that. I have searched and read many of those threads, but none of them answer the last question, if vaping 100% VG juice solved the problem. Either the OP never posted results or didn't try all VG.

No problem, just trying to help! :)

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
No idea. If I had to guess, I'd bet nicotine rather than the bases. It's a vasoconstrictor.
And because of that, it is an ototoxin. The reason why I quit smoking, and quickly went to 0mg. Anything that affects blood circulation will affect the ears. A very delicate balance. I went back up to 3mg because 0mg did not satisfy, and I had brain-fog. I want to slow down my progressive hearing loss.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
And because of that, it is an ototoxin. The reason why I quit smoking, and quickly went to 0mg. Anything that affects blood circulation will affect the ears. A very delicate balance. I went back up to 3mg because 0mg did not satisfy, and I had brain-fog. I want to slow down my progressive hearing loss.
You know more about it than I :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I mix my own unflavored VG only and still have tinnitus. I had it before I vaped as well. If you take or started taking any NSAID they can cause or increase tinnitus as well.

Ditto Paul. But it has been a concern to me from the jump as I found PG generally irritating (along with silica). Both seemed to resolve with discontinued use. Over 3 years now (vaping) I've gained some tolerance for PG. Yet most of the serious recurrences (I'm chronic) I've had of tinnitus were instances where I'd been vaping high PG. Now my couched observation here is that nic higher than you're accustomed to will raise BP (adrenaline, even if moderately). If your cloud chasin' or vapin' hard stands to reason you may see some exacerbation of the symptom if you're prone. Even if you seldom or never experience it, tinnitus can occur when BP goes up. Hope not for none of ya's. It's a terrible annoyance and debilitating if severe.

If your ears are ringing, maybe it's time to check your nic levels.

Good luck. :)

Reactions: 3mg Meniere

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
After this thread was started, I have started taking a HBP med. My BP was moderately high and I tried for 3 years to control it with a lower salt diet and all the foods that are supposed to lower BP. I quit caffeine for a while and my BP went up 10 points lol. 3 weeks on the med, lower caffeine intake, and my tinnitus is sometimes worse than ever. I even wake in the morning after several hours without caffeine or nicotine with bad tinnitus. Still not sure of a cause and effect.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
No idea. If I had to guess, I'd bet nicotine rather than the bases. It's a vasoconstrictor.

Considering, if you do the maths, I was getting a bus load more nicotine out of my 2 PAD smoking that I'll ever get out of vaping I'm highly skeptical of that one.

We get old - poop happens when you get old. That, and I took a medication with a known reported side effect - tinnitus. Had it before I vaped, got chronically & irreversibly worse once exposed to that damned medication - never thought "it must be vape related."

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
My guess is tinnitus caused by blood pressure, nicotine (blood pressure indirectly) or psychosomatic causes.

Lower your nic as others have already suggested, and keep an eye on your BP. If you're not a hypochondriac worrier, maybe buy a cheap digital BP cuff and keep an eye on your BP that way - I wouldn't advise this if you're a bit hypo, though. ;)

Hey - I thought that salt causing high blood pressure was shown to be an old wives' tale?*

*- Unless consuming it in *ridiculous* quantities

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
My guess is tinnitus caused by blood pressure, nicotine (blood pressure indirectly) or psychosomatic causes.

Lower your nic as others have already suggested, and keep an eye on your BP. If you're not a hypochondriac worrier, maybe buy a cheap digital BP cuff and keep an eye on your BP that way - I wouldn't advise this if you're a bit hypo, though. ;)

Hey - I thought that salt causing high blood pressure was shown to be an old wives' tale?*

*- Unless consuming it in *ridiculous* quantities

Not bad advice. Take your BP. Even (or especially) when healthy. It's good to know what your baseline is. We're all different.

Good luck. :)

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    After this thread was started, I have started taking a HBP med. My BP was moderately high and I tried for 3 years to control it with a lower salt diet and all the foods that are supposed to lower BP. I quit caffeine for a while and my BP went up 10 points lol. 3 weeks on the med, lower caffeine intake, and my tinnitus is sometimes worse than ever. I even wake in the morning after several hours without caffeine or nicotine with bad tinnitus. Still not sure of a cause and effect.
    Bp meds r known to cause it. I think I started to notice my T more after starting them. I certainly notice it more when one of these threads pop up :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread