Tinnitus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwalraven

Aug 16, 2013
Columbus, OH
It won't let me post a reply to the tinnitus increase thread, but I believe vaping has done this. I am down to one last option. Flavorless 100%vg, as I have tried all other options. This is a real thing that happens to some people like it or not. I have also been vaping for over a year. Never more than 12mg nic. I know vapers don't like hearing these things, but I have to agree with the people who are saying this. I am waiting on my 100% flavorless VG from velvet cloud. If that doesn't work its back to analogs which I don't want to do.

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
May or may not be a cause of, I would look into the known causes first before quitting vaping. My best educated guess is one or more on this list.....

What Causes Tinnitus?
Prolonged exposure to loud sounds is the most common cause of tinnitus. Up to 90% of people with tinnitus have some level of noise-induced hearing loss. The noise causes permanent damage to the sound-sensitive cells of the cochlea, a spiral-shaped organ in the inner ear. Carpenters, pilots, rock musicians, street-repair workers, and landscapers are among those whose jobs put them at risk, as are people who work with chain saws, guns, or other loud devices or who repeatedly listen to loud music. A single exposure to a sudden extremely loud noise can also cause tinnitus.

A variety of other conditions and illnesses can lead to tinnitus, including:

Blockages of the ear due to a buildup of wax, an ear infection, or rarely, a benign tumor of the nerve that allows us to hear (auditory nerve)
Certain drugs -- most notably aspirin, several types of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, sedatives, and antidepressants, as well as quinine medications; tinnitus is cited as a potential side effect for about 200 prescription and nonprescription drugs.
The natural aging process, which can cause deterioration of the cochlea or other parts of the ear
Meniere's disease, which affects the inner part of the ear
Otosclerosis, a disease that results in stiffening of the small bones in the middle ear
Other medical conditions such as high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, circulatory problems, anemia, allergies, an underactive thyroid gland, and diabetes
Neck or jaw problems, such as temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome
Injuries to the head and neck
Tinnitus can worsen in some people if they drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, drink caffeinated beverages, or eat certain foods. For reasons not yet entirely clear to researchers, stress and fatigue seem to worsen tinnitus

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
if my ears ring ...it's from too much nicotine!
confused-37.gif

now that being said get with your EENT Doc, for folks with permanent tinnitus, they've got a new hearing aid gadget that mimics what your brain thinks it's not hearing (hence why it makes your ears hear it-tinnitus) I've taken a couple patients with it to a doc here in the Med Center and over a few months, it was gone forever (just to let y'all know)

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
It won't let me post a reply to the tinnitus increase thread, but I believe vaping has done this.... I am waiting on my 100% flavorless VG from velvet cloud. If that doesn't work its back to analogs which I don't want to do.
Once you have it, there is a great likelihood that you won't be able to make it go away permanently. The more you pay attention to it, the more irritating it is. Minimal nicotine, or very little is the best. I don't think there is anything else in vape that would cause it to get worse. People with tinnitus often have hearing loss-- best to go to an audiologist, get a hearing test, and assess the cost/benefit ratio of HA's.

Avoiding everything that might cause you problems in that area just isn't worth it. IMHO.

My audiologist recently told me that there is no way to tell for sure that vaping very low nic is slowing my progressive hearing loss, but given the other benefits, it is worthwhile.

nwohiopma

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2014
NW Ohio
I have tinnitus caused by a month on Cipro for diverticulitis. My husband was also on a month of Cipro for a chronic sinus infection and also developed tinnitus. My doctor won't admit to Cipro as the cause, but I talked to 4 different pharmacists who confirm that taking Cipro for more than 10 days will cause it.

Tinnitus can also be caused by hearing your heartbeat in your ear. I ran across this while researching it:

Whooshers.com

If you're able to determine that you actually have one of those ailments, it generally can be cured. But most doctors are clueless and the word is just getting out.

On edit, I have no change in tinnitus since vaping. The tinnitus started 2 years ago, I didn't start vaping until May. I was on the gum and a cig here and there.

Last edited:

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
May or may not be a cause of, I would look into the known causes first before quitting vaping. My best educated guess is one or more on this list.....

What Causes Tinnitus?
Prolonged exposure to loud sounds is the most common cause of tinnitus. Up to 90% of people with tinnitus have some level of noise-induced hearing loss. The noise causes permanent damage to the sound-sensitive cells of the cochlea, a spiral-shaped organ in the inner ear. Carpenters, pilots, rock musicians, street-repair workers, and landscapers are among those whose jobs put them at risk, as are people who work with chain saws, guns, or other loud devices or who repeatedly listen to loud music. A single exposure to a sudden extremely loud noise can also cause tinnitus.

A variety of other conditions and illnesses can lead to tinnitus, including:

Blockages of the ear due to a buildup of wax, an ear infection, or rarely, a benign tumor of the nerve that allows us to hear (auditory nerve)
Certain drugs -- most notably aspirin, several types of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, sedatives, and antidepressants, as well as quinine medications; tinnitus is cited as a potential side effect for about 200 prescription and nonprescription drugs.
The natural aging process, which can cause deterioration of the cochlea or other parts of the ear
Meniere's disease, which affects the inner part of the ear
Otosclerosis, a disease that results in stiffening of the small bones in the middle ear
Other medical conditions such as high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, circulatory problems, anemia, allergies, an underactive thyroid gland, and diabetes
Neck or jaw problems, such as temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome
Injuries to the head and neck
Tinnitus can worsen in some people if they drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, drink caffeinated beverages, or eat certain foods. For reasons not yet entirely clear to researchers, stress and fatigue seem to worsen tinnitus

Wow! I didn't realize that so many things could cause it.

My husband suffers from tinnitus and it's been better since he quite smoking and started vaping. He's gradually cut back nicotine concentration and he continues to improve. When we go to vape shops and taste test, the nicotine levels are higher in the samples and the tinnitus flares up. It's been very helpful to him as our doctor didn't know what would cause it or how to treat it. Thanks for sharing the list of possible causes - very helpful.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've had tinnitus for a long time. Vaping didn't make it any worse for me compared to when I was smoking. I went from 18 mg nic to zero after 3/4 of a year and that seemed to help so for me nicotine was a factor. I now vape on average about 1 mg of nic and that doesn't seem to make it any worse.

As for living with tinnitus, I ignore it even when it's really loud. I know it's not something that actually hurts me and that seems to help a lot. I suspect this might not work for everyone, but luckily it does for me.

Good luck with it :thumb:

Zwalraven

Aug 16, 2013
Columbus, OH
My husband suffers from tinnitus and it's been better since he quite smoking and started vaping. He's gradually cut back nicotine concentration and he continues to improve. When we go to vape shops and taste test, the nicotine levels are higher in the samples and the tinnitus flares up. It's been very helpful to him as our doctor didn't know what would cause it or how to treat it. Thanks for sharing the list of possible causes - very helpful.

I have been on 6mg for a while and have vaped 100%/VG for a long time. The last thing to narrow down in the flavorings. I ordered some 6mg flavorless from velvet cloud should be here in a few days. I will let everyone know. Gonna try the gum maybe if it doesn't work. I love vaping and RDA's so much. I hate that.this is happening. I'm certainly not the first though. I just hope hearing damage is not something that comes out as a proven side effect of vaping and gives the government fuel. Vaping is a great thing I just hope I can keep doing it.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I have been on 6mg for a while and have vaped 100%/VG for a long time. The last thing to narrow down in the flavorings. I ordered some 6mg flavorless from velvet cloud should be here in a few days. I will let everyone know. Gonna try the gum maybe if it doesn't work. I love vaping and RDA's so much. I hate that.this is happening. I'm certainly not the first though. I just hope hearing damage is not something that comes out as a proven side effect of vaping and gives the government fuel. Vaping is a great thing I just hope I can keep doing it.

Nicotine can make tinnitus worse, not cause it.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I just hope hearing damage is not something that comes out as a proven side effect of vaping and gives the government fuel. Vaping is a great thing I just hope I can keep doing it.
Like steve says, vaping does not cause damage to the inner ear. Nicotine can, in vulnerable people. If you have the vulnerability, as well as other medical conditions made worse by nicotine, it is best to go to 0mg or very low nic. I am just thankful vaping gave me the opportunity to quit smoking and keep nic exposure to a minimum.

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
My husband has been on 2mg gum for over 10 years now. I use it when out with the boss for lunch, he doesn't know I used to smoke or even that I vape. The gum may or may not help, but is still better then smoking. We buy our gum from New Zealand at half the cost of U.S. gum. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread