Tired of Problems with Vivi Mini Nova - please recommend a Carto/Tank set up for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

super amjo

Verified Member
Oct 23, 2012
Northern VA
Hi All -

I've been trying to recoil my vivi nova heads but it's just not working out - I know it's not rocket science and I'll coiled a few, got the correct ohms but I get a burned taste pretty quick (I'm using 32 wire, cotton wick materials - even tried cotton balls) but anyhow, I'm not getting more than a few days use out of each vivi mini nova head and these are the originals from the gotvapes.

I think I'm going to switch over to a cartomizer setup - I used it with my kr808d and liked the simplicity of it and I'm really just tired of the vivi's (I always got dry hits, burning, flooding) so what do you guys recommend.

I read through some posts and it seems like people like the IkenVapes but I couldn't figure out which I needed from there - also, they only sell a big 6ML tank which would look rediculous on my little ego. I'm hoping for some advice on a tank setup with IKV or whatever cartos are the best.

My setup is both and ego-c twist and a vision spinner (and I have juice from most of the recommended vendors, heathers, backwoods, etc.)

Thanks!

teamscon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
NC
Ive had great luck with vivi ... Some dont ... You do clean the heads every 3 tanks correct? Also, you must scrape the burnt stuck on juice from the coil so you can see each coil light red. If its gummed up, it will look like lava when glowing red instead of each indiv coil lighting seperate.

--Why not buy the 2.99 heads off the net? Or try bamboo yarn ... Heard its the cleanest/best.
--Your taking a step back imo with cartos.
--Using nores wire?

Careful not to waste a bunch of money on all this. I sure did before I found out its all junk unless you spend 600.00 on a tank/pv and theres still gunna be a steep learning curve.

Edit: If you can clean the vivi nova properly it is by far one of the cheapest, best tanks out there. Im down to 2.99/month only having to replace the head if I want to. No flooding, dry hits if I dont swish it around.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I have a couple of mini novas, but don't use them very often since I like cinnamon and they don't. When I first started vaping, novas were the hot new toy, so other than clearos & dripping, I didn't know about much else. In my search for something compatible with cinnamon, I got a clear glass tank (using a Smoketech carto) from IBtanked, and a polypro one (using a Boge carto) from Valley View Vapes and haven't looked back. I've found them far more consistent than the novas and they hold more liquid. YMMV.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I would second Ocelot's recommendation and look at the IBTanked. You can call them and they are a great help in getting you set up with the correct cartos and tanks. They work great and no dry hits in my experience.

If you get a "Slap Yo' Mama" tool from Big Daddy (I cringe every time I type the name) filling and changing cartos on the IBTanked is a breeze. Sadly, it doesn't work on the polypro tank from Valley View (the grommets are too tight), but the Valley View one fills from a screw on the side, so it's super easy. I guess it's a fair trade off.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
This is a very nice and economical tank setup. Plus the tank is polypropylene, so you can use all your juices in it, won't leach or crack.

510 Pro DCTank Combo

I have a couple of those and they are very nice. I've used the Slap Yo Mama tool...and the tank refilling tool with them, using a Smoktech cartomizer (or Boge..or Kanger) and it works fine. I really like the basic tubes at MVS ...they are pretty forgiving, even if you make a bit of a hash out of punching your carto and deform you cartomizer a bit. SMOKTech 510 Dual Coil Tank Tube You can buy cartomizers...either pre-punched or XLs you punch yourself and get the 6ml. size or the 3.5ml. size (which fit perfectly on the eGo! All you need is a little cone to cover the threads...also sold at MVS)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think I'm going to switch over to a cartomizer setup - I used it with my kr808d and liked the simplicity of it and I'm really just tired of the vivi's (I always got dry hits, burning, flooding) so what do you guys recommend.

I read through some posts and it seems like people like the IkenVapes but I couldn't figure out which I needed from there - also, they only sell a big 6ML tank which would look rediculous on my little ego. I'm hoping for some advice on a tank setup with IKV or whatever cartos are the best.

My setup is both and ego-c twist and a vision spinner (and I have juice from most of the recommended vendors, heathers, backwoods, etc.)
The Smoktech DCT polypro tank above from MyVaporStore is a nice starter tank. They were my first carto tank and I still have a few of them in use. The 3.5ml is slim and would look fine on an eGo battery. I believe that is a kit, though, and it uses the longer length dual coil cartomizers. You might want to consider whether you want dual coil or single coils. The dual coils are much harder on battery life, and the single coils do everything that the duals are supposed to do.

The way of the future is in pyrex glass though. It is an inert material that imparts no off taste to the juice that some people believe plastic does. It is also immune to some flavors known to melt or crack plastic tanks. Pyrex is clear, polypropylene plastic is frosted. Pyrex glass is surprisingly durable, too.

IBTanked IBTanked - Get Tanked With Us! is one of the forerunners of pyrex tank manufacturers in providing quality and inexpensive tanks. Tanks start at $20. Choice of stainless or acrylic caps. Punched cartos and drip tips are offered on the site. The slim tube offered (19mm) will fit an eGo battery nicely. There is a recent full review of these tanks complete with user pictures in the following thread:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tank-reviews/349222-ibtanked-pyrex-glass-tanks.html

I also highly recommend the tank accessory tool by Big Daddy Vapor. To see why, view the following video review by PBusardo:

Here are links to pre-punched cartos for tanks:

https://www.ikenvape.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1860

Single Coil XL Tank Cartomizer for the SmokTank XL

Last edited:

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
I stopped using cartos because I could never clean and reuse em - went on to CE2 and CE4 clearos.....CE2s are great - but they tend to leak. Today I had a meeting and didnt want to risk any possible juice leaking in my white shirt pocket (yes was decked out suit n tie - lol) - found a unused inexpensive carto 2ohm I had gottten from myfreedomsmoke. I tell ya - the hit it like nothing else. Vaped it all the way home 150 miles of driving - didint even touch my CE2............

Cookster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2011
Fla-De-Da
I stopped using cartos because I could never clean and reuse em - went on to CE2 and CE4 clearos.....CE2s are great - but they tend to leak. Today I had a meeting and didnt want to risk any possible juice leaking in my white shirt pocket (yes was decked out suit n tie - lol) - found a unused inexpensive carto 2ohm I had gottten from myfreedomsmoke. I tell ya - the hit it like nothing else. Vaped it all the way home 150 miles of driving - didint even touch my CE2............

I know...I stopped using cartos about 2 months in, went to clearos, and have been there ever since. Recently, after reading how much people love their carto tanks, I got one, and was blown away!! I found CE2 cartomizer tank replacements last week, which are even better, no polyfill, and you can clean and dry burn...just great :)

candimccann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
Lenexa, KS, US
www.youtube.com
I have 2 heads going for each Vivi I am using. Usually every 2 to 3 days (sometimes sooner) I swap the head out. I keep a little dish where my "off duty" heads get to soak for a day. The next time I swap out, I will do a bit of a dry burn (in short bursts) until I can see each loop in the coil burn red. Fill it up and vape. Less than 10 minutes every couple days.

I read through this and think to myself, ugh, that looks like a huge pain. Just go back to cartos. BUT... when I was using cartos I had to top them off hourly. Cartos tanks are a bit of a pain to fill and the muted taste really bothered me.

Weighing the pros and cons, I m in a happy place with my Vivis.

So, anyhow, that's my blabber. Hoping you find your happy place. :)

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
I know...I stopped using cartos about 2 months in, went to clearos, and have been there ever since. Recently, after reading how much people love their carto tanks, I got one, and was blown away!! I found CE2 cartomizer tank replacements last week, which are even better, no polyfill, and you can clean and dry burn...just great :)

CE2 cartomizer tank? What? Where? Please post more - and link to supplier...............thanks.

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX

Cookster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2011
Fla-De-Da
Oh wow - tell ya nothing comes close to the forum when it comes to folks helping........I have a ST tank - one with the old style filled cartos - used it ones and hated it...........could have been me - but I couldnt get it to work. Gotta get a pack of these and try em out....thanks...

Get one of these also...freaking GENIUS!
Stainless Steel DCT Refilling Tool

I'm just waiting until the Black Friday sale to get a bunch of these and a couple more tanks.
My Novas and Kangers are feeling unloved :laugh:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Get one of these also...freaking GENIUS!
Stainless Steel DCT Refilling Tool
That device will do what it was designed to do, but I would personally put that money into the slap-yo=momma tool. It does what the madvapes tool does to assist filling a tank, but it also protects o-rings from the sharp edges of the carto. Take a look at the PBusardo video review of it that I included in my earlier post here. Money worth investing into your tank collection. Best device I've bought in vaping besides my Provari.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread