Truth vs. Fact. The Root Beer Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDistinguishedGentleman

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
United States
This thread is about the differences in truth and fact, opinions and guesses. Root beer will be our example. Let's begin with the most simple of statements. Root beer is a beverage. This is a fact. It cannot be denied that root beer IS a beverage. Now let's distinguish the difference between truth and fact. Next statement. Root beer is delicious. Aha! This is a truth. In my OPINION root beer is delicious. That makes it true to me, but not in any way a fact. We see from this example, truth is subjective, and facts are not. Now on to opinions and guesses. I came to my OPINION that root beer is delicious because I have personally experienced the FACT that root beer is a beverage. From that experience I formed the OPINION that root beer is delicious. If I had never experienced the FACT that root beer is a beverage, I would only be able to GUESS whether it is delicious or not. Opinions are NOT like belly buttons. Everyone does not have one. If you have not done the due diligence to find the FACTS to support your OPINION, you do not have an OPINON, you have a GUESS. This forum is a source of information that many new vapers trust to lead them down the road to a successful transition from smoking to vaping. Let's try to keep the information given here rooted in FACTS and OPINIONS, not TRUTHS and GUESSES.

TRoxx

ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2013
NY
This thread is about the differences in truth and fact, opinions and guesses. Root beer will be our example. Let's begin with the most simple of statements. Root beer is a beverage. This is a fact. It cannot be denied that root beer IS a beverage.

I always thought that " Root Beer" was just a flavor that was added to carbonated soda!
Tell me more about the differences between flavors and beverages!

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Soooo is that a fact ? lol

yes it is a fact :cool:

AW-Restaurants-Celebrate-National-Root-Beer-Float-Day.jpg

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Root beer is delicious. Aha! This is a truth. In my OPINION root beer is delicious.

Your opinion does NOT equal truth.

Truth is NOT subjective. Truth is FACT.

Or, if you prefer a proper definition of the word as you are using it, straight from Marriam-Webster's Dictionary...

the property (as of a statement) of being in accord with fact or reality

TRUTH IS FACT. Truth is NOT subjective. Opinion is NOT truth, no matter how much you believe it to be so. TRUTH IS FACT.

So, to summarize this...

In my OPINION you are wrong about almost everything you wrote because of the FACT that you don't know the difference between subjective opinion and objective truth.

Last edited:

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I do like root beer...but I am missing the Point to the thread.

I'm new to it, and like root beer as well but as near as I can tell, someone stated their guess as either an opinion or a fact causing someone else's underwear to rapidly bind up. This is just conjecture based on the slim evidence and in no way should be solidified as an actual historical portrayal of the situation.

Rancor0681

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Belle Rive, Illinois, United States
This thread is about the differences in truth and fact, opinions and guesses. Root beer will be our example. Let's begin with the most simple of statements. Root beer is a beverage. This is a fact. It cannot be denied that root beer IS a beverage. Now let's distinguish the difference between truth and fact. Next statement. Root beer is delicious. Aha! This is a truth. In my OPINION root beer is delicious. That makes it true to me, but not in any way a fact. We see from this example, truth is subjective, and facts are not. Now on to opinions and guesses. I came to my OPINION that root beer is delicious because I have personally experienced the FACT that root beer is a beverage. From that experience I formed the OPINION that root beer is delicious. If I had never experienced the FACT that root beer is a beverage, I would only be able to GUESS whether it is delicious or not. Opinions are NOT like belly buttons. Everyone does not have one. If you have not done the due diligence to find the FACTS to support your OPINION, you do not have an OPINON, you have a GUESS. This forum is a source of information that many new vapers trust to lead them down the road to a successful transition from smoking to vaping. Let's try to keep the information given here rooted in FACTS and OPINIONS, not TRUTHS and GUESSES.

Hey I take offense to this statement.

Not everyone has a belly button. I don't I had an umbilical cord hernia and in process of getting it fixed lost my belly button so there lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread