Type 2 Diabetes and Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvins

Sep 13, 2013
Mpls, MN, USA
Hey! Another Noob here.
I've seen this conversation on other threads here but couldn't post because I'm a Noob, so I'll start my own thread.
Because I'm Diabetic (type 2) everything that goes into my body is of concern.
I'm not sure how things are metabolized through the lungs so I'll assume that anything ingested has an impact.
The big question is sugars. They're a killer for me and I'm concerned about the sweeteners I add to the e-juice that I make.
I saw this on the internet ( 1.36oz EZ-Sweetz® Stevia & Monk Fruit (1 unit) ) and it looked suitable/stable because they state that it's stable at high temps.
Anyone use this stuff in their e-juice and do you know if it's safe to use in e-juice?
I want to try something other than EM (Ethyl Maltol) sweetener as I've heard it can bump up my Blood Sugars and I'm not big on the other artificial sweeteners.
Thanks for any and all info.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi Melvins and welcome to ECF. I know very little about diabetes and vaping, but I've seen many threads and posts on the subject. Here's one of them:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ce-general-relates-diabetics.html#post9612827

WRT Stevia, Kurt, our resident chemist, advises against its use in vaping:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/378527-sucralose-safe.html#post8568470

Many DIY folks use liquid sucralose.

When you get your 5 posts, you'll be able to open my links and do a forum search or you may repost your question in our General or Health forum. I know that several ECF members are diabetic and quite knowledgeable on the subject.

General E-Smoking Discussion

Health, Safety and E-Smoking

Good luck!

Last edited:
A bit off topic but for diabetics, it's a must to control your carb intake plus take lots and lots of high fibre food. Based on my doctor's advise I now take a big breakfast, simple lunch and mostly salad or vegetable soup for dinner. Sometimes once in two weeks, I will allow myself to binge on a really nice big juicy T-Bone but that's about all. :)

Melvins

Sep 13, 2013
Mpls, MN, USA
Wow I never thought about this! I have a friend thats diabetic and vapes too, hopefully I can link him here and he can read some of this information here. Nice.

They have a whole section on health and safety armalitem16. Health, Safety and E-Smoking
This forum has and continues to provide me with so much information about personal vaping.
We're fortunate to have it.

Micchi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Asheville, NC, USA
I'm also Type 2 diabetic. Since I've been vaping, I haven't really noticed my blood sugars being up. I do tend to eat breakfast and take my meds before I start vaping in the morning, though, so that may have something to do with it. I don't go the DIY juice route (I'm clumsy as heck and there are four young, curious kids running around - cartos and pre-mixed juices are as much risk as I'm willing to take there!), so whatever sweetners are in my juice/cartos, that's what I'm getting.

For posterity, I'm vaping at 24mg-36mg nic content currently. I have tobacco and apple in my rotation at the moment. I take Metformin (1000mg/day) and Glyburide (2.5mg/day). I also take Prozac (40mg/day), which interacts with the Glyburide a bit (as in: if I skip lunch, my blood sugar will tank around 3, every time). I am also not the best at eating the way I need to all thetime - breakfast this morning was leftover pizza - but my sugars tend to stay right around where they're supposed to be these days.

Monk72

Sep 19, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Hi Melvins and welcome to ECF. I know very little about diabetes and vaping, but I've seen many threads and posts on the subject. Here's one of them:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ce-general-relates-diabetics.html#post9612827

WRT Stevia, Kurt, our resident chemist, advises against its use in vaping:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/378527-sucralose-safe.html#post8568470

Many DIY folks use liquid sucralose.

When you get your 5 posts, you'll be able to open my links and do a forum search or you may repost your question in our General or Health forum. I know that several ECF members are diabetic and quite knowledgeable on the subject.

General E-Smoking Discussion

Health, Safety and E-Smoking

Good luck!
I'm type 1 and just decided to try and cut down my smoking.

Thanks for the info!

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    It's all in the details, is your type 2 controlled by Metformin, if so how much? Are you on insulin, if so how much? What's your A1c reading? What's your average AM glucose reading?

Sounds to me like you will be pricking your finger a bunch until you figure out what you can/can't do just like I had to do. Just understand that what I can/can't do has nothing what so ever to do with what you can/can't do.

Last edited:

Melvins

Sep 13, 2013
    Mpls, MN, USA
    I'm also Type 2 diabetic. Since I've been vaping, I haven't really noticed my blood sugars being up. I do tend to eat breakfast and take my meds before I start vaping in the morning, though, so that may have something to do with it. I don't go the DIY juice route (I'm clumsy as heck and there are four young, curious kids running around - cartos and pre-mixed juices are as much risk as I'm willing to take there!), so whatever sweetners are in my juice/cartos, that's what I'm getting.

For posterity, I'm vaping at 24mg-36mg nic content currently. I have tobacco and apple in my rotation at the moment. I take Metformin (1000mg/day) and Glyburide (2.5mg/day). I also take Prozac (40mg/day), which interacts with the Glyburide a bit (as in: if I skip lunch, my blood sugar will tank around 3, every time). I am also not the best at eating the way I need to all thetime - breakfast this morning was leftover pizza - but my sugars tend to stay right around where they're supposed to be these days.

Not only are sugars a problem for us but nicotine can hurt the circulatory system too. This is why smoking and Diabetes is like double jeopardy.
    36mg is double what I vape. Ever considered cutting back on the nic Micchi? :vapor:

Melvins

Sep 13, 2013
    Mpls, MN, USA
    It's all in the details, is your type 2 controlled by Metformin, if so how much? Are you on insulin, if so how much? What's your A1c reading? What's your average AM glucose reading?

1000mg twice a day.
    No insulin(I got off of it).
    A1c is 6.0 or better, need to get another draw done.
    AM/Fasting around 90. Lately a little higher @ 110. Probably due to lack of exercise. I'm down to 250 lbs from 292 lbs. Still have a ways to go.
    I'm not in a panic about this. More info is better than less.:2c:

Micchi

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Not only are sugars a problem for us but nicotine can hurt the circulatory system too. This is why smoking and Diabetes is like double jeopardy.
    36mg is double what I vape. Ever considered cutting back on the nic Micchi? :vapor:

I'm working on it! Lol. I started out on 18mg, but I was still craving analogs, so I bumped the nic up and it helped SO much. My next order of juice is all 24mg, though, so I'm hoping I can step it down a little.

lvm111

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 20, 2013
    Wylie, Texas
    Not a diabetic, but wanted to throw this in. I had to fast last week for an annual (or semi-annual in this case) routine physical examination. I got to wondering if my vaping would affect my results. I stayed up pretty late that night (about 3:00 am), had my blood drawn (and provided urine) about 9:30 am. I had vaped all night and morning.

My results turned out normal (for me). No deviations.

BTW, my doctor was very pleased I had quit smoking. Don't know how knowledgeable she is about vaping, but she didn't have a problem with it whatsoever. I even showed her my ego c twist with a Protank 2 full of amber juice in it, just so she'd have a pretty good idea what I'm doing, i.e. not some little cigarette like glowing green on the tip thing. She didn't even blink. They just want me to quit smoking.

That's my story. best regards, larry mac

Last edited:

JanaOnWheels

ECF Veteran
    Sep 8, 2013
    Uh oh! I didn't even consider this! I have type 2 diabetes as well, controllable with meds, but I can't test like I should because... well, long story short, government medical benefits doesn't pay for enough supplies. I also don't take my meds like I should - I know, bad Jana! - because they always make me crash too low; I HATE the shakes!

After reading this thread, I quick and took my blood sugar... 366!! Eeek! I took my meds and tested again 1 1/2 hours later... 249. Better, but still high!

I'm really going to have to keep an eye on this! I don't want to give up vaping, but know I won't be able to mix my own liquids; I'm no chemist!

I'll take my meds like I'm supposed to for the next few days, and test as much as I'm able to with the few supplies I have left, to see if the numbers stay reasonable.

There are no sites that offer e-liquids for diabetics?

MTLBYAKY

Jana~

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread