Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
I'm not diabetic but I do not eat sugar in any form except green veggies and small amounts of dairy. I test for Ketosis most days and vaping has never once knocked me out. Even the smallest amount of sugar can, so I feel fine about this.

I know a lot of juices are also sweetened with liquid sucralose.

Having said that, I can only imagine that vaping is a vast improvement over smoking... for a diabetic especially.

Last edited:

Melvins

Sep 13, 2013
Mpls, MN, USA
Uh oh! I didn't even consider this! I have type 2 diabetes as well, controllable with meds, but I can't test like I should because... well, long story short, government medical benefits doesn't pay for enough supplies. I also don't take my meds like I should - I know, bad Jana! - because they always make me crash too low; I HATE the shakes!

After reading this thread, I quick and took my blood sugar... 366!! Eeek! I took my meds and tested again 1 1/2 hours later... 249. Better, but still high!

I'm really going to have to keep an eye on this! I don't want to give up vaping, but know I won't be able to mix my own liquids; I'm no chemist!

I'll take my meds like I'm supposed to for the next few days, and test as much as I'm able to with the few supplies I have left, to see if the numbers stay reasonable.

There are no sites that offer e-liquids for diabetics?

MTLBYAKY

Jana~

Jana, If your meds are making you crash too low I would talk to my Doc about my meds.
When I was first Diagnosed with Ketoacidosis, my meds were making me crash with a minimal amount of activity. Talked to my doc about it and I no longer take those meds.
Is one of your meds Glipizide?(spelling?) That's the one that didn't work for me.

I didn't start this thread with intent of putting anyone in a panic.
I'm programmed to think about everything I put in my body and was only looking for information.
So I'm sorry if I've induced anyone to be overly concerned about something that may not be having any influence on Diabetics.
I still believe it's a much better option than burning leaves.

Every Diabetic should consider themselves an individual as this disease treats us all differently. Find out what works for you.

Mark

JanaOnWheels

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2013
Jana, If your meds are making you crash too low I would talk to my Doc about my meds.
When I was first Diagnosed with Ketoacidosis, my meds were making me crash with a minimal amount of activity. Talked to my doc about it and I no longer take those meds.
Is one of your meds Glipizide?(spelling?) That's the one that didn't work for me.

I didn't start this thread with intent of putting anyone in a panic.
I'm programmed to think about everything I put in my body and was only looking for information.
So I'm sorry if I've induced anyone to be overly concerned about something that may not be having any influence on Diabetics.
I still believe it's a much better option than burning leaves.

Every Diabetic should consider themselves an individual as this disease treats us all differently. Find out what works for you.

Mark

Yeah, I'm on Glipizide, but that's after being on Glyburide and crashing. I am just really sensitive to meds! Always have been. When I was 15, I was diagnosed Hypoglycemic. They said then it could turn into Diabetes later in life, especially since there is a family history. And yeah, that happened. But meds seem to almost over-correct. I was on Metformin and Glyburide 3 times per day, then was switched to Metformin and Glipizide 3 times per day, then was dropped to a lower dosage twice per day. And still I crash.

Yesterday, a few hours after getting the 249 reading, I started getting the shakes, so I tested again... I had dropped to 65. I quickly popped a glucose tablet and evened out a bit, but still, even after just one dose (of meds), I crashed. It's like I'm both Diabetic and still Hypoglycemic, always teetering precariously.

Trust me, it's a good thing that you posted! If you hadn't, who knows for how long I would have been oblivious to the possibility of vaping affecting Diabetes!

:)

MTLBYAKY

Jana~

hawkeye46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
grundy center, iowa usa
I'm type 2 on 3 different meds. Used to smoke 3 packs of analogs a day, and my blood sugar in the morning would be 144-160. Doc was talking about putting me on insulin. Started vaping and no analogs. After about 2 weeks my blood sugar in the morn was 60-70, nothing else different except I was vaping instead of smoking. Doc reduced my meds as my a1c was below 6 after 3 mos. of vaping. I luv the sweet e-liquid and that is what I vape. My only explanation for this phenomenon is the analogs messed up my system so bad that the diabetes was also out of control. Doc does not have an explanation other than that either. Happy vaping!!!--Bo

Melvins

Sep 13, 2013
Mpls, MN, USA
Talked with my pharmacist today about vaping with pure Stevia liquid extract added to my juice. Made from 25% Stevia extract, VG and water. Available here: Amazon.com: Pure Stevia Liquid Extract - 4 oz - Liquid: Health & Personal Care or at your local co-op.
She didn't have an answer for me but told me that she would research it and get back to me.
It'll be interesting to hear what she finds out.
I'll report back when she does.

Later.

Just like to share my experience here. I'm a type 2 who've been vaping since August and found that certain juices makes my hyper and some takes me hypo. I monitor my GI very consistently everyday and now stick to those which does not affect my GI too much.

So it's true that certain juices work and some doesn't so you just have to try them out to find out as nearly no one reveals their recipe to the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread