Vape tongue help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noraj1067

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida, United States
So for the last few days I haven't been able to taste my juices at all. I can taste when I eat, and I can smell the juice but nothing when I'm vaping. I've tried different flavors,tanks and batteries so it has to be my mouth. I've tried brushing my tongue and drinking a lot of water and nothing is helping. Me tongue feels numb like when you've burnt your tongue, but I can't see any physical changes. I'm becoming distraught and a little obsessed about it and I have no idea what to do. The guys at the local vape shop looked me like I was crazy... I'm getting anxious an analog is sounding really good right about now. They always work. =:)facepalm:

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
After you put down the cigarettes your taste buds will go through stages of repair that may last a few weeks to a few months. There are lots of suggestions on how to deal with vapers tongue but the best for me was to use a liquid with light or no taste (unflavored) for a day each time it would happen. I believe it's your brain and not the buds. Like a smell that is constant you become unaware of because your brain filters it out. Take a short break from the heavy flavors and you'll be surprised when you go back. Your still getting the nicotine so a cigarette won't do much but taste bad.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
After 2 1/2 years of vaping, I still get episodes of "vaper's tongue". I don't know what causes it or what can speed up the recovery period back to normal. My episodes rarely last longer than a week.

I often will use a flavor that I'm not particularly fond of, or even vape some straight Vg (vegetable glycerine; its got a slightly sweet taste which I can still perceive) during these episodes. Why vape with my favorite flavors if I can't taste them? You can purchase glycerin at your local Walmart or CVS pharmacy for cheap.

Some say to increase your water intake (even more than usual). Practice good oral hygiene; I've recently gotten some Biotene (non-prescription mouthwash that dentists recommend) which some people say helps shorten the healing period; not sure if it will help. Some people say eating spicy foods or pickles helps. Stronger flavors like cinnamon and mint (or menthol) can often be tasted when others can not.

Biotene.jpg glycerin.jpg glycerin2.jpg

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
I just finally recovered from a ten day vaper's tongue affliction. Honestly, the only thing that worked for me was time. I just stayed super-hydrated, took good care of my chompers, and tried to vape less often. I did get some stuff with menthol in it as I could still FEEL the vape with that. Try menthol or mint, or just vape juice you don't really like. Stay hydrated and when your body bounces back you will know.

Mxracer6y

Sep 25, 2014
arizona
After you put down the cigarettes your taste buds will go through stages of repair that may last a few weeks to a few months. There are lots of suggestions on how to deal with vapers tongue but the best for me was to use a liquid with light or no taste (unflavored) for a day each time it would happen. I believe it's your brain and not the buds. Like a smell that is constant you become unaware of because your brain filters it out. Take a short break from the heavy flavors and you'll be surprised when you go back. Your still getting the nicotine so a cigarette won't do much but taste bad.

This is mostly right, from what i understand it has to do with your nose.. which is the real player in what makes you able to taste things..

here is a GREAT video explaining everything, what causes it, why it happens, and how to deal with it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrhTJd3NZ5I

Try sour or acidic drinks, like lemonade. It may or may not help but at least its refreshing!
Also eating "abrasive" foods like saltine crackers may help.

It will eventually fix itself with time. Do not worry. It will come and go, it goes with the territory.

If you don't chain vape, you might want to use a higher nic liquid than usual (for throat hit and sensation), or as other suggested a flavor you don't like, which might jar your senses a little.

Newportlocal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
Orange County,Calif.
I used to think that because a lot of juices were so weak. Haven't had that problem in a long time with better juice. Try some Virus or Grandmas cinnamon danish from nicoticket. If you really can't taste that which is highly doubt. Then try some clouds of icarus lemon bar. There is no possible way to not taste that one. Believe me on that. Lol
You will be o.k., but I have been where you are. It is tough at first trying to get better gear which makes a huge difference on vapor production and flavor combined with finding good ejuice. Don't give up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread