VG E-Liquid Issues In Cartomizers & Clearomizers. Good Tasting & Performing VG Juices Hard To Find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I've been at this e-cigarette stuff a few years now. I started with mini 3-piece e-cigs, like the m400 series, using refillable cartridges, and have since moved on up to the automatic 808D threaded ECHO, using either cartomizers or clearomizer tanks. I've dabbled with the 510 and some other e-cigarette models along the way, but I've been generally fairly satisfied with e-cigarette models like the ECHO, using short batteries.

I used to have no problem using e-liquids with a lot of PG in them, like Halo's Freedom Smoke Juice, which were generally pretty satisfying e-liquids, and also performed well in my equipment. But I eventually developed allergic skin reaction issues to heavy PG blends, and had to cutback on the PG, drastically. Good tasting all or mostly VG tobacco e-liquids seem to be a rarity, and I've been having a hard time finding ones that work well in cartomizers or clearomizers without quickly gunking up the works and getting a burnt chemical taste after only 2-3 days of use, or sometimes less.

These types of cartridges are not cheap, running between $3.30 to $5.50 a pop (or even more), depending on where I get them. Availability of automatic 808D ECHO threaded cartomizers or tanks is somewhat limited in the U.S. I've tried cleaning both types of devices to make them last longer, but that only works occasionally, and usually only lasts 2-3 days more before the cartomizer or clearomizer just isn't reusable anymore, even despite further cleaning.

The cartomizers hold a lot of juice, do not leak, and give good vapor and flavor delivery (in the dual-coil models), but the polyfil wicking material in them seems to get clogged up easily within a few days. This makes them last less than clearomizers (like the CE4s), which generally seem to be easier to clean. However, the clearomizers (be they rebuildable or not) hold half the e-liquid that the cartomizers do, tend to leak substantially more, tend to leak even more after cleaning, and are overall more frustrating than cartomizers (except on the very rare occasion when they are working perfectly out-of-the-box). They also typically cost more, so getting a little more use out of them isn't all that valuable, especially with all the fussing they require. One great benefit of the clearomizers compared to cartomizers is that once you've discovered the device isn't any good anymore, you can easily recover most of the e-liquid you've already put in it for use in another device. Not so for the cartomizers. Fill up a cartomizer with 3ml of juice, discover the cartomizer is no longer any good, and your 3ml of juice is pretty much gone. You may as well have poured the juice down the toilet instead.

Of course, heavier PG blend e-liquids perform better in these devices, as far as device use longevity goes, usually by several days or more, but those e-liquids aren't an option for me anymore. So far I've tried Vaperite's all VG and PG/VG blend e-liquids, which aren't bad, but they tend to clog up my equipment even quicker than other all VG e-liquids. I've tried diluting these juices with 5-20% distilled water, with so-so results. Now I've moved on to other all VG juices, which supposedly perform better, but which have questionable flavor.

I recently got some Johnson's Creek Red Oak line of tobacco e-liquids, all of which so far taste something like paint thinner. I am steeping these with the caps off for several days to see if there is a magical improvement in flavor. These e-liquids seem particularly prone to leaking in clearomizers, and are almost too thin, rather than too thick like some other VG juices. I also recently got some Organic Best Damn Tobacco from Virgin Vapors. This is the ugliest, coudiest e-liquid I've ever had, but on the first day I received it this stuff at least tasted better than the Johnson's Creek Red Oak line stuff. It also doesn't leak, though at the same time it doesn't seem particularly thick at all. I am open bottle steeping this stuff as well, which is recommended, so it may actually work out well, as there are hints of decent flavor hidden in this juice. Supposedly Virgin Vapor's Organic Dark Side of The Moon juice is even better as a straight tobacco flavor, though it is meant to be a dark chocolate tobacco blend. I have yet to try it, but may, depending on how well the other e-liquid I have steeps.

Despite some possible moderate success with the Virgin Vapor e-liquid, and some forlorn hope for the Johnson's Creek stuff, I'm still very much on the prowl for better tasting and performing all VG tobacco flavor e-liquids. In the past, before I got into the ECHO and using cartomizers or clearomizers, I have had good taste success with Alien Visions Boba's Bounty and Intellicig's ECOpure RICH. Unfortunately both of those are difficult to get these days for different reasons. Intellicig's ECOpure flavors are pretty much gone from the U.S. market, replaced by the new U.S. company's ECOvape flavors that are simply not as good or clean performing. Alien Visions has been dramatically changing their website, and run into so many problems with that they are almost perpetually closed, which has become amazingly annoying. The owner of that company has also apparently been very sick, which has exacerbated the problem. I hope his health improves, regardless of whether or not his website ever reopens.

I've pretty much given up on using clearomizers. Their increased cost, leakage issues, and spotty reliability are too much for me to hassle with. Too bad, as otherwise they are a cool concept and look nice on top of my short and fat ECHO batteries. ECHO dual-coil cartomizer prices seem to have dropped, so they are looking to be a better and more practical option over clearomizers now. NorthWest Vapors is selling them for nearly the same price as standard single-coil carts, about $3.30 or so a piece.

I'm just not sure where to go from here with finding good all VG tobacco flavor juices. Maybe Alien Visions will be be open again for business soon, but I'm still uncertain of how well Boba's Bounty (a great tasting all VG juice) will perform in cartomizers. The juices from Johnson's Creek and Virgin Vapors may eventually steep beautifully. In the meantime, I feel sort of lost, so any advice I can get from fellow forum members on the subject would be most welcome.

JoeChemo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, USA
Maybe Alien Visions will be be open again for business soon, but I'm still uncertain of how well Boba's Bounty (a great tasting all VG juice) will perform in cartomizers.

I'm a VG fanboy. Let's keep our fingers crossed that Alien Visions is doing more than just revamping their web site. I have hopes that they will also ramp up production so they have something to sell to their frustrated customers. Anyway, I've been vaping Alien Visions Gorilla Juice (100% VG) in a V4L small Smileomizer carto for over 5 days without problems. When I run out of Gorilla Juice this week, I'll be switching back to my last two bottles of Boba's Bounty.

blindmice

Verified Member
Apr 25, 2013
AZ
I would second Velvet Cloud Vapor you can ask them to thin the ejuice, ( I ask a lot of venders to this ) for use with carts. Some are happy to do it and some won't, it can't hurt to ask. I normally don't vape tobacco flavors but understand your frustration with the carts. I've tried everything and three days is pretty lucky. Ahlusions does a VG and has a lot of tobacco blends. Quantum has some tobacco blends and it works really well with carts without thinning. You can always request your own blend from them and they have 100% VG.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
Thank you very much for all the suggestions. I will try some of those out and report back on the results.

The Virgin Vapors Organic Best Damn Tobacco juice has turned out to be pretty good stuff, though different and certainly not exactly a genuine tobacco flavor - as it is a bit on the citrus side in flavor. Still, it seems to work on a basic satisfaction level, and is all organic, so that's kind of cool. At first it did not leak in clearomizers as some other e-liquids have on me right away, but eventually it does after a very few days, and cleaning the clearomizers doesn't help any with that. In fact, at least until something better in clearomizer tanks comes out (if ever), I'm done with clearomizers. Their leakage unreliability is too much of a problem. I'm just using DC ECHO cartomizers for now. They are much less fuss.

The jury is still out on the Johnson Creek Red Oak tobacco flavor e-liquids. I've steeped them for over a week now, and their chemical flavor components have reduced. Their smell has definitely improved. I'm just starting to try them out in my new cartomizers, but am still enjoying the Virgin Vapors stuff too much to really dive into them yet, as what they tasted like originally still kind of scares me - even now. I'll keep you posted.

Confusednoobie

Jun 9, 2013
NM
I've been at this e-cigarette stuff a few years now. I started with mini 3-piece e-cigs, like the m400 series, using refillable cartridges, and have since moved on up to the automatic 808D threaded ECHO, using either cartomizers or clearomizer tanks. I've dabbled with the 510 and some other e-cigarette models along the way, but I've been generally fairly satisfied with e-cigarette models like the ECHO, using short batteries.

I used to have no problem using e-liquids with a lot of PG in them, like Halo's Freedom Smoke Juice, which were generally pretty satisfying e-liquids, and also performed well in my equipment. But I eventually developed allergic skin reaction issues to heavy PG blends, and had to cutback on the PG, drastically. Good tasting all or mostly VG tobacco e-liquids seem to be a rarity, and I've been having a hard time finding ones that work well in cartomizers or clearomizers without quickly gunking up the works and getting a burnt chemical taste after only 2-3 days of use, or sometimes less.

These types of cartridges are not cheap, running between $3.30 to $5.50 a pop (or even more), depending on where I get them. Availability of automatic 808D ECHO threaded cartomizers or tanks is somewhat limited in the U.S. I've tried cleaning both types of devices to make them last longer, but that only works occasionally, and usually only lasts 2-3 days more before the cartomizer or clearomizer just isn't reusable anymore, even despite further cleaning.

The cartomizers hold a lot of juice, do not leak, and give good vapor and flavor delivery (in the dual-coil models), but the polyfil wicking material in them seems to get clogged up easily within a few days. This makes them last less than clearomizers (like the CE4s), which generally seem to be easier to clean. However, the clearomizers (be they rebuildable or not) hold half the e-liquid that the cartomizers do, tend to leak substantially more, tend to leak even more after cleaning, and are overall more frustrating than cartomizers (except on the very rare occasion when they are working perfectly out-of-the-box). They also typically cost more, so getting a little more use out of them isn't all that valuable, especially with all the fussing they require. One great benefit of the clearomizers compared to cartomizers is that once you've discovered the device isn't any good anymore, you can easily recover most of the e-liquid you've already put in it for use in another device. Not so for the cartomizers. Fill up a cartomizer with 3ml of juice, discover the cartomizer is no longer any good, and your 3ml of juice is pretty much gone. You may as well have poured the juice down the toilet instead.

Of course, heavier PG blend e-liquids perform better in these devices, as far as device use longevity goes, usually by several days or more, but those e-liquids aren't an option for me anymore. So far I've tried Vaperite's all VG and PG/VG blend e-liquids, which aren't bad, but they tend to clog up my equipment even quicker than other all VG e-liquids. I've tried diluting these juices with 5-20% distilled water, with so-so results. Now I've moved on to other all VG juices, which supposedly perform better, but which have questionable flavor.

I recently got some Johnson's Creek Red Oak line of tobacco e-liquids, all of which so far taste something like paint thinner. I am steeping these with the caps off for several days to see if there is a magical improvement in flavor. These e-liquids seem particularly prone to leaking in clearomizers, and are almost too thin, rather than too thick like some other VG juices. I also recently got some Organic Best Damn Tobacco from Virgin Vapors. This is the ugliest, coudiest e-liquid I've ever had, but on the first day I received it this stuff at least tasted better than the Johnson's Creek Red Oak line stuff. It also doesn't leak, though at the same time it doesn't seem particularly thick at all. I am open bottle steeping this stuff as well, which is recommended, so it may actually work out well, as there are hints of decent flavor hidden in this juice. Supposedly Virgin Vapor's Organic Dark Side of The Moon juice is even better as a straight tobacco flavor, though it is meant to be a dark chocolate tobacco blend. I have yet to try it, but may, depending on how well the other e-liquid I have steeps.

Despite some possible moderate success with the Virgin Vapor e-liquid, and some forlorn hope for the Johnson's Creek stuff, I'm still very much on the prowl for better tasting and performing all VG tobacco flavor e-liquids. In the past, before I got into the ECHO and using cartomizers or clearomizers, I have had good taste success with Alien Visions Boba's Bounty and Intellicig's ECOpure RICH. Unfortunately both of those are difficult to get these days for different reasons. Intellicig's ECOpure flavors are pretty much gone from the U.S. market, replaced by the new U.S. company's ECOvape flavors that are simply not as good or clean performing. Alien Visions has been dramatically changing their website, and run into so many problems with that they are almost perpetually closed, which has become amazingly annoying. The owner of that company has also apparently been very sick, which has exacerbated the problem. I hope his health improves, regardless of whether or not his website ever reopens.

I've pretty much given up on using clearomizers. Their increased cost, leakage issues, and spotty reliability are too much for me to hassle with. Too bad, as otherwise they are a cool concept and look nice on top of my short and fat ECHO batteries. ECHO dual-coil cartomizer prices seem to have dropped, so they are looking to be a better and more practical option over clearomizers now. NorthWest Vapors is selling them for nearly the same price as standard single-coil carts, about $3.30 or so a piece.

I'm just not sure where to go from here with finding good all VG tobacco flavor juices. Maybe Alien Visions will be be open again for business soon, but I'm still uncertain of how well Boba's Bounty (a great tasting all VG juice) will perform in cartomizers. The juices from Johnson's Creek and Virgin Vapors may eventually steep beautifully. In the meantime, I feel sort of lost, so any advice I can get from fellow forum members on the subject would be most welcome.
I have been using a VEA for 3 weeks. I too need VG only. I thought it was just me because so many reviews rave about the JC smoke juices. I found the taste acceptable on the initial fill- but then on the refills the 3.0 cartomizers not only leak but the flavors taste nasty- chemical, burnt, medicinal- like paint thinner is a great description. I am finding myself rinsing my mouth out it is that nasty. Do you have an update on how they taste AFTER steeping a while?

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I haven't found that the JC stuff leaks at all in my ECHO DC cartomizers, but it definitely was an issue in my CE4 clearmomizers. Our cartomizer designs are probably slightly different if you are using something else, and you may just have a bad batch of cartomizers, which can happen, or you might want to try a new design - if available for your equipment.

The JC e-liquid flavors have definitely mellowed out for me after steeping, though they still taste a bit weird. I've been taste testing the 3 tobacco flavors I have (Domestic, Tennessee Cured and Vanda) on a 3-piece m402 setup. The 3 flavors are now pretty mild, with modest throat hit and okay vapor production. These 3 flavors don't taste all that different from each other. They probably all use the same base tobacco flavor. I will probably end up blending these with other e-liquids later in order to get rid of them, as they are not very satisfying on their own. Overall, I think they are disappointing, but not horrible. I'm looking for something with richer flavor.

I usually only get 2 days of use out of my cartomizers before I have to flush rinse them with Distilled Water and then Isopropyl Alcohol. Sometimes that works to nearly fully recover the cartomizer's performance, and other times that doesn't help much. For the most part these cartomizers are a disposable unit you can't really reuse too many times. The cleanliness of the e-liquid you use can make a difference, sometimes doubling the length of time you can use the cartomizer before it just doesn't perform very well anymore. Because of all that, be sure to buy these things in bulk, at the cheapest overall price you can find.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I just ordered some Velvet Cloud Vapor Burley Beard Tobacco - 18 MG / 30 ML. I used their newsletter subscription sign up discount of $5, which is always nice to have when trying out a new supplier. I look forward to trying it out.

As a side note, I see that the Alien Visions website store is open, but they are currently out of Boba's Bounty & Gorilla Juice! Sigh.

upsetter21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
Alameda, CA
This is a normal juncture for a newer vaper. You've reached the point where you know vaping is for you, but you are seeking to refine the experience to be consistent or at least predictable. But which variable needs change?

Experimenting with juice flavors is fun, but until you have total control over the hardware, the experience can be quite limmiting as you waste a lot of juice trying them out in various pre-built atomizers.

The trouble is the atomizer manufacture is hardly ever consistent. I recently dismantled a bunch of Vision tanks to mod and found each one was spun slightly differently; some had glue where others didin't. There are more consistent devices but still mass produced atties just are what they are and you can only hope flavor xyz won't screw em up, and it sucks paying a few dollars only to fail.

Enter the RBA. The day I got my first dripping atty was like a whole new erra began. Setting up an oxidized SS wick gave me a deeper experience with the varying juice formulas. When the cost is only wick and wire one tends to experiment more. You will find many tobacco or darker juices don't do well on fibre wicks.

In fact I've experienced unlocking flavor notes I didn't identify before simply by changing the way I build a coil. For example I vape any Lime flavor at higher temp because at cooler temp it tastes like lime peals. However a little more watts and its transformed into the flavor of the juice.

Eventually you will have enough experience to know which juice wants to be in which kind of atty. For example, Copper Creek House Blend, I only vape in Genesis type atty's because it gunks up silica.

Point being getting into RBA's can help get the troubles of mass production, and the singular intention of one design, out of the equation. Instead it puts you in control. Even when it doesn't work out at least you can take them apart to see if it's gunking, burning, or running dry.

I recommend ordering a cheap dripper and some #400 ss mesh, and Awg 32 kanthal, next time you go to buy some atties. Grab some cotton yarn and some silika rope. Start playing with the juice you already have and see if you can tune up your own atty method custom to the juices you like.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I've read very little about Re-Buildable Atomizers (RBA's). Next to nothing in fact. It sounds interesting though, so I'll check it out on the forum with a couple of searches. Is there anything else you can tell me about them? Do you buy a kit or a rebuilt unit you build again as necessary? Are there dedicated online suppliers for this sort of thing, or is it more of a DIY scratch build from Radio Shack parts kind of thing? How cost effective are RBA's compared to more traditional disposable alternatives? Is there a high initial cost that gets recouped later? Are they reasonably compact units or are they kind of large and not so easily pocket transportable?

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
The Velvet Cloud Vapor Burley Beard Tobacco e-liquid arrived earlier today. Because of what some thread responders had posted earlier about Velvet Cloud e-liquids, I was very surprised at how thick this all VG juice was. When I started drip filling a new ECHO DC cartomizer with this stuff, it was so thick it just collected on top of the wicking material, and stayed there - never absorbing into the material! I ended up having to carefully dilute this juice with what ended up being about 10% distilled water. This seems to have resolved that issue and is working out okay so far. You should definitely either request that your order of Vapor Cloud's juices be pre-mixed for use in cartomizers, or just be prepared to dilute it yourself with distilled water (or pure grain alcohol) when it arrives.

I've obviously not had time to steep this stuff yet, but the taste is not bad fresh out of the shipping package. For now, it is fairly smooth and mellow, with a touch of rich sharpness. It is definitely tobacco-like, but also with a green or black tea flavor component to it. It is a bit on the green leafy, grassy side, which is not unusual in some tobacco flavors, but unlike some - it does not have a burnt ashtray taste to it at all, nor does it have chemical-like taste to it. It smells pretty good fresh, which is unusual in my experience. Vapor production is on the modest side, which may be partially due to my having to dilute it with the distilled water, but that aspect is a bit of a disappointment. The 18mg throat hit is just okay. It is nothing to write home about. The flavor is there though, and this e-liquid will probably steep into a genuinely nice mild tobacco flavor. It is fairly light in color (a light honey color), especially after modest diluting.

Vapor Cloud also sent me a free 10ml sampler bottle of their "Strawb-Gwab" (Strawberry - Guava?) flavor, which is also clearly very thick (almost like a gel), much like the Burley Beard stuff. It will most definitely have to be diluted too. The smell (for a fruity flavored e-liquid) is fabulous. My wife, who is neither a smoker, ex-smoker, or vapor, really liked the smell of this stuff - which is very unusual for her. To her, most e-liquids I've tried smell like "..." to her - if she smells anything at all when I'm vaping. I've yet to try this stuff. For now it is just steeping. It is clearer in color that the tobacco flavor juice, almost clear, but with a slight yellowish tinge to it.

Vapor Cloud's juices are way too thick to use straight in a cartomizer without diluting (unless otherwise special ordered, which I guess they apparently can do), but the jury is still out on how long my cartomizers will last using this stuff. So far I've only been vaping the Burley Beard Tobacco for about half an evening. I'll be happy if I can make it through at least two more full days using this juice on one 3ml cartomizer. Anything more than that and I'll be nearly thrilled. This is no Alien Vision's Boba's Bounty though, as it lacks the almost ever changing pleasing complexity of that juice. It pretty much tastes like it is supposed to - a simple, generally straightforward light tobacco-like flavor. I'll post again in a week or so on how well steeping affects its flavor.

Last edited:

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
That's been my general experience as well. Dark juices (be they PG or VG) equal low (or at least lower) atomizer life expectancy. But a lighter (colored) juice doesn't necessarily equal a long atomizer life expectancy, which confuses things a bit. The thing I don't get is why there still doesn't seem to be a sound way of effectively cleaning atomizers (and wicks for that matter) to greatly increase their longevity. I've tried flushing with distilled water and alcohol, using ultrasonic jewelry cleaners, soaking, etc. Nothing really extends the life of this stuff for very long. I can see the attraction of re-buildable atomizers, but those things tend to be rather large as far as I can tell, and a bit pricey. The whole do it yourself thing (wind your own coils, etc.) kind of turns me off, and seems unnecessary.

I've used simple replaceable parts (atomizer and wick) clearomizer tanks, but those end up being a bad investment, as they always seem to end up leaking and or otherwise being crap anyway. A simple replaceable parts cartomizer would make more sense. (I'm talking factory built replacement parts here, not build your own.) I'm guessing economics of scale just aren't working in favor of a concept like that. Though the batteries didn't hold enough of a charge, and the cartridge capacities were always too small, I kind of yearn for the old 3-piece type e-cigarettes. The cartridges were easily cleaned and almost infinitely reusable (though I wish they screwed on instead of popped on). The atomizers were a little more easily cleaned, but if they burnt out they were replaceable. Mine usually lasted a few weeks, so even at $10-$15 a piece they were reasonably economical, at least compared to these damn cartomizers. You knew you needed to have a few spares available, and that was fine, because that is still the case with batteries - which at least you can still expect to typically last through hundreds of charges.

I don't see that anyone is marketing anything like that in a mid-size fat battery type unit, though I still see a few minis like that around. Cartomizers and tanks seem to have taken over, to the advantage of the suppliers, but not us. I'd rather go a decent, modern, appropriately sized 3-piece setup than keep being annoyed by these supposedly better 2-piece models. The RBA thing, at least for now, seems like it is more for a specialized hobbiest segment, like model train builders, rather than something that's ever going to be practical for the larger portion of us. I could be wrong about that. I cartainly hope that side of the industry further develops into something more plug-and-play friendly.

Of course, I could be wrong about all that. If I am, someone please let me know - because I'd really like to know if I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread