Which regulated mod to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROM 1

Aug 29, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I currently have a KTS Mechanical Mod and even though it's pretty good, I still am interested in buying a regulated mod. You see, I really enjoy using the typical EGO battery because of the consistency of the vape that it produces and also the longevity of the battery time. From beginning to end, the vape quality of EGO batteries remains pretty much the same until the battery completely dies. However, I need something more durable and robust than the EGO, slim type batteries. Can anyone recommend a mod that is similar to an EGO battery, in terms of vape consitency and logevity of the battery? Mech mods are cool but I am not really feeling the fact that it starts out at 4.2v and gradually decreases as the more you vape, which means the quality of the vape also decreases in terms of the voltage and taste as well. Would a Vamo version 2 or 3 solve this issue that I am having, since it has variable volt and variable watts feature? Bottom line is I want the quality of what the EGO batteries perform at but want the look and feel of a mod. Vamo, Zmax, Provari.....any suggestions?

ROM 1

Aug 29, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I have a Provari and love it. I quit smoking december 31st. You can't beat the warranty. Even when the warranty is up they will still fix it if it breaks.

Thanks Gangstafish for your suggestion. Congrats on your New Years resolution of quiting. I myself haven't purchased a pack since Feb 23, 2013. I enjoy vaping, however, I find myself vaping more than ever. More than I smoked cigs. Regardless, I still think that it's far safer than analogs. At least, my lungs are much stronger regardless of how much I vape compared to cigs.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Recently, I shopped for a backup for my Provari. SS was a must. I looked at the Evic and passed because of the rotating ring for adjustment (felt a little fragile). The Tesla was interesting, but has a slot down the side that exposes the battery. That's a cool looking feature, but it lends itself to dust in the contact area. Tesla is also a rather large tube with molded ridges down the side and only comes in aluminum from what I was told. I guess it resembles something Tesla would have built and does that quite well.

I was looking for something stainless with a slim profile like my Provari. The Siglei SS Zmax Telescope was priced right at $74.95 in my local B&M store. I'm not crazy about the telescoping tube, but that allows you to screw the bottom up and down to adjust the length to fit most any battery rather than installing extension rings (something you have to keep up with).. There's a standard spring loaded battery cap on the bottom like the Provari and the cap has 5 holes on the bottom for venting in case of a spewing battery (which hasn't ever happened to me on any mod).

The ZMAX LCD display is sharp and very readable, even in bright sunlight, although you might have to turn your back to the sun to shade the display for better readability. Once you use the menus a few times, operation becomes second nature. ZMAX gives you wattage and voltage options (3.5-15 watts in .5W increments or 3-6 volts in .1V increments). It also displays the resistance of the coil you have installed and will display the voltage or wattage in RMS (root mean square) or Mean (average) mode. You can select voltage, power, or atomizer resistance to be displayed every time you hit the fire button.

Listening to the sound of the coil through the drip tip, it's obvious that the electronics are operating at a lower frequency than my Provari. I'd compare it to a snake rattle hiss as opposed to more of a smoother hissing sound in the Provari. That's preferential, though. The vape from my ZMAX is much the same as the vape from my Provari. With an 18650 battery installed, the ZMAX is 3/8" longer than the Provari. That's not an issue. It still fits fine in my pants pocket and can use various button top batteries.

ETA: The atomizer sound changes if you go from Mean back to RMS. In RMS mode, it sounds smooth like the Provari. Interesting.

An installed Kanger Protank leaves just a tiny clearance between the ZMAX tube and the bottom of the Protank. That may be a good thing because it allows more airflow to the atomizer. The Provari with a Protank is a tight fit with no light between the two and seems to bottom out on the trim ring at the tube top just before the threads hit bottom. Either works fine with the Protank.

Maybe others can give you a review on their favorite.

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Vamo V3 here, with another one on the way. The Zmax and SVD are also great systems and I almost bought the SVD before deciding on the Vamo. It was just a personal preference for the look and feel.

These "entry level" regulated mods are priced right. They let you try the features they offer at a reasonable price before deciding if you want to go full bore into electronic mods.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Vamo V3 here, with another one on the way. The Zmax and SVD are also great systems and I almost bought the SVD before deciding on the Vamo. It was just a personal preference for the look and feel.

These "entry level" regulated mods are priced right. They let you try the features they offer at a reasonable price before deciding if you want to go full bore into electronic mods.

I think that the entry level mods are fast approaching the high priced models. It's still cheaper to buy a replacement rather than pay shipping to and from China for service as opposed to sending a USA mod back to the manufacturer. Aluminum was my sticking point. Now that SS mods are coming out at half the price with heavy features, I'm buying in. If it breaks in less than 2 years, then that brand is off my list.

ROM 1

Aug 29, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Other than a kick I'd suggest a Vamo V2 - inexpensive and, in my experience, durable and reliable!

Vernhall, that's funny that you suggested a kick as a solution. I was thinking of getting a kick for my KTS Mod, but I didn't like the fact that it cost nearly $45 (Evolv Kick 1 or 2). With that price, I might as well buy a regulated mod, which is why I posted this thread to begin with. I the I think I am going to go with a Vamo. I'm looking for the Vamo V4, but I can't seem to find a website that's selling it.

ROM 1

Aug 29, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Recently, I shopped for a backup for my Provari. SS was a must. I looked at the Evic and passed because of the rotating ring for adjustment (felt a little fragile). The Tesla was interesting, but has a slot down the side that exposes the battery. That's a cool looking feature, but it lends itself to dust in the contact area. Tesla is also a rather large tube with molded ridges down the side and only comes in aluminum from what I was told. I guess it resembles something Tesla would have built and does that quite well.

I was looking for something stainless with a slim profile like my Provari. The Seglei SS Zmax Telescope was priced right at $74.95 in my local B&M store. I'm not crazy about the telescoping tube, but that allows you to screw the bottom up and down to adjust the length to fit most any battery rather than installing extension rings (something you have to keep up with).. There's a standard spring loaded battery cap on the bottom like the Provari and the cap has 5 holes on the bottom for venting in case of a spewing battery (which hasn't ever happened to me on any mod).

The ZMAX LCD display is sharp and very readable, even in bright sunlight, although you might have to turn your back to the sun to shade the display for better readability. Once you use the menus a few times, operation becomes second nature. ZMAX gives you wattage and voltage options (3.5-15 watts in .5W increments or 3-6 volts in .1V increments). It also displays the resistance of the coil you have installed and will display the voltage or wattage in RMS (root mean square) or Mean (average) mode. You can select voltage, power, or atomizer resistance to be displayed every time you hit the fire button.

Listening to the sound of the coil through the drip tip, it's obvious that the electronics are operating at a lower frequency than my Provari. I'd compare it to a snake rattle hiss as opposed to more of a smoother hissing sound in the Provari. That's preferential, though. The vape from my ZMAX is much the same as the vape from my Provari. With an 18650 battery installed, the ZMAX is 3/8" longer than the Provari. That's not an issue. It still fits fine in my pants pocket and can use various button top batteries.

ETA: The atomizer sound changes if you go from Mean back to RMS. In RMS mode, it sounds smooth like the Provari. Interesting.

An installed Kanger Protank leaves just a tiny clearance between the ZMAX tube and the bottom of the Protank. That may be a good thing because it allows more airflow to the atomizer. The Provari with a Protank is a tight fit with no light between the two and seems to bottom out on the trim ring at the tube top just before the threads hit bottom. Either works fine with the Protank.

Maybe others can give you a review on their favorite.

Nice comparison and breakdown of the Zmax and Provari, but I think I am gonna go with the Vamo for now. Vamo Version 4 is what I think will be a great addition to my vaping weapons.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Nice comparison and breakdown of the Zmax and Provari, but I think I am gonna go with the Vamo for now. Vamo Version 4 is what I think will be a great addition to my vaping weapons.

Whichever one you get, make sure your Vamo is Stainless Steel.

Lasts longer & doesn't rub off on your hands.

The V2 is great.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
1. Sigeli makes a kick clone for about $20

2. If you dont mind the box factor, I suggest the itaste MVP either version 1 (which is probably now heavily discounted) or the version 2 which is about $70. Very nice device that has its own internal battery. About the size of a small cell phone but a bit thicker.

jcco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
I'm totally happy with my Vamo V2 SS. I haven't had any problems at all. It's such a reasonable priced unit, it's hard to beat.
I'm think of a V4 for a backup. I really need to have a backup. I'd be lost without my Vamo except for the KGO kit that's still running strong.

Now if Fasttech would just start carring the V4.

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Whichever one you get, make sure your Vamo is Stainless Steel.

Lasts longer & doesn't rub off on your hands.

The V2 is great.

I've had the V3 now for a month. I got the black chrome version and only then read the reports of the finish wearing quickly.

However, after daily use and constantly sliding it in and out of a 7/8" drilled hole in a block stand, knocking it around on the counter, desk and nightstand and generally abusing the outer surface of the system, it looks almost as good as the day I opened the box.

A few minor scratches here and there are all it shows of my regular use.

It is an absolute VAPOR BEAST when paired up with an X10 tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread