Which regulated mod to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotku

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2012
columbus, oh
The vamo is an excellent value for the money. For a slightly upscale look, and price, you can get the KSD Kmax. It is made by the same company as the vamo. The are different combinations for finishes available. Mine is on the slow boat, brass with a red sleeve. Similar functionality to the vamo but a single button control.

ROM 1

Aug 29, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I've had the V3 now for a month. I got the black chrome version and only then read the reports of the finish wearing quickly.

However, after daily use and constantly sliding it in and out of a 7/8" drilled hole in a block stand, knocking it around on the counter, desk and nightstand and generally abusing the outer surface of the system, it looks almost as good as the day I opened the box.

A few minor scratches here and there are all it shows of my regular use.

It is an absolute vapor beast when paired up with an X10 tank.

Cool. I will take that into consideration. Stainless steel is what I think will get.

Shane Bappe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Cozad, Nebraska, United States
My SiD has been great. So far it was just what I was looking for. #1 durability (dropped it a couple times and still holding up like new), #2 battery life, and #3 VW/VV option. Beware, I can only compare to Halo products and Egos. This is my first big boy :) but it's doing it's job just fine!

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
I am very happy with my eVic. Terrific information on the main screen, volts, watts, ohms, battery graph, drag timer (more than any other that I've seen). Variable voltage and wattage. Inexpensive, relatively small. No 'rattlesnake sound', it is a straight DC output, not a pulse width modulated type ('max'es, vamo, provari), very even heat on the coils. It is the only regulated mod that I've seen with upgradable firmware to give it new and improved features. Passthrough (you can vape while it charges). 2600mAh battery, lasts a full, heavy vaping day for me. Complete kit for $104, hard to beat.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Y'all are really slipping. It took three pages this time.

Until mods began to show up in stainless and with more advanced features, spending the extra money on a Provari was well worth the price. You could bet on being able to get service stateside if it broke. That's still a big consideration, but the prices for advanced mods with advanced features is sliding the buy factor in the direction of the competition.

I don't regret owning a Provari. In fact, now that I have a Sigelei Zmax, I'm sending my Provari back for a tune-up and a fix for a couple of issues (and hopefully an electronics update, too).

If reliability continues to rise with the competition, it will force Provari to offer more features for a lower price at some point. I think that's good. The standard has to be set by one manufacturer to make the others offer you more for the money. That's happening now.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Recently, I shopped for a backup for my Provari. SS was a must. I looked at the Evic and passed because of the rotating ring for adjustment (felt a little fragile). The Tesla was interesting, but has a slot down the side that exposes the battery. That's a cool looking feature, but it lends itself to dust in the contact area. Tesla is also a rather large tube with molded ridges down the side and only comes in aluminum from what I was told. I guess it resembles something Tesla would have built and does that quite well.

I was looking for something stainless with a slim profile like my Provari. The Siglei SS Zmax Telescope was priced right at $74.95 in my local B&M store. I'm not crazy about the telescoping tube, but that allows you to screw the bottom up and down to adjust the length to fit most any battery rather than installing extension rings (something you have to keep up with).. There's a standard spring loaded battery cap on the bottom like the Provari and the cap has 5 holes on the bottom for venting in case of a spewing battery (which hasn't ever happened to me on any mod).

The ZMAX LCD display is sharp and very readable, even in bright sunlight, although you might have to turn your back to the sun to shade the display for better readability. Once you use the menus a few times, operation becomes second nature. ZMAX gives you wattage and voltage options (3.5-15 watts in .5W increments or 3-6 volts in .1V increments). It also displays the resistance of the coil you have installed and will display the voltage or wattage in RMS (root mean square) or Mean (average) mode. You can select voltage, power, or atomizer resistance to be displayed every time you hit the fire button.

Listening to the sound of the coil through the drip tip, it's obvious that the electronics are operating at a lower frequency than my Provari. I'd compare it to a snake rattle hiss as opposed to more of a smoother hissing sound in the Provari. That's preferential, though. The vape from my ZMAX is much the same as the vape from my Provari. With an 18650 battery installed, the ZMAX is 3/8" longer than the Provari. That's not an issue. It still fits fine in my pants pocket and can use various button top batteries.

ETA: The atomizer sound changes if you go from Mean back to RMS. In RMS mode, it sounds smooth like the Provari. Interesting.

An installed Kanger Protank leaves just a tiny clearance between the ZMAX tube and the bottom of the Protank. That may be a good thing because it allows more airflow to the atomizer. The Provari with a Protank is a tight fit with no light between the two and seems to bottom out on the trim ring at the tube top just before the threads hit bottom. Either works fine with the Protank.

Maybe others can give you a review on their favorite.

yesss.gif goodpost.gif

I stopped reading with this post. So, sorry if I missed other posts. This is a great post and agree with it whole-heartedly.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
I am very happy with my eVic. Terrific information on the main screen, volts, watts, ohms, battery graph, drag timer (more than any other that I've seen). Variable voltage and wattage. Inexpensive, relatively small. No 'rattlesnake sound', it is a straight DC output, not a pulse width modulated type ('max'es, vamo, provari), very even heat on the coils. It is the only regulated mod that I've seen with upgradable firmware to give it new and improved features. Passthrough (you can vape while it charges). 2600mAh battery, lasts a full, heavy vaping day for me. Complete kit for $104, hard to beat.

Just don't drop it. Least durable APV on the market, imho. I have four eVic's. Three V1's and one V2. I have had to repair, via soldering, the V1's 7 times now. I'm so gun shy about the eVic, that I would never consider taking it out of the house. I did upgrade my V2 to Kir Fanis stainless telescoping tubes, but I'm still gun shy. Finally, I just got a Semovar, so I could have a variable wattage device along the quality and durability lines of the Provari. The warranty and repair issues with the Semovar, though, remain to be seen. Mine was about $100 more than my Provari's, so I sure do expect it to hold up well and it is a beast, and built like a tank. I do agree with your other points about the eVic, and haven't dropped the V2 yet, so still don't know how well it will hold up in the real world. Best.

ROM 1

Aug 29, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Is the main concern the decrease in battery life?

The main concern is consistency in vape performance, battery perfomance, and also the heft and weight of the device. I want a mod that performs identical to an EGO, but with more control in watts and voltage. Mods are great, but the performance is never consistent in vape perfomance. It starts out great because of the 4.2v fully charged battery and decreases performance rapidly because of the decrease in battery voltage. The EGO pretty much perfomance consistent until the battery just completely dies. Basically, I prefer regulated mods than mechanical.

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
Just don't drop it. Least durable APV on the market, imho. I have four eVic's. Three V1's and one V2. I have had to repair, via soldering, the V1's 7 times now. I'm so gun shy about the eVic, that I would never consider taking it out of the house. I did upgrade my V2 to Kir Fanis stainless telescoping tubes, but I'm still gun shy. Finally, I just got a Semovar, so I could have a variable wattage device along the quality and durability lines of the Provari. The warranty and repair issues with the Semovar, though, remain to be seen. Mine was about $100 more than my Provari's, so I sure do expect it to hold up well and it is a beast, and built like a tank. I do agree with your other points about the eVic, and haven't dropped the V2 yet, so still don't know how well it will hold up in the real world. Best.

I hear yea, but the eVic heads are pretty cheap, if I need to replace one. I am not hard on my stuff, old and slow, lol. Haven't dropped it yet, but don't tend to. If I am doing something that could be harardous, I bring my Smok 'twist' batteries. Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread